Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build your own house rte1

Options
2»

Comments

her "nonsense business" isn't a business yet, she was filmed doing a year long course with Jim Cronin https://www.farmingfornature.ie/nominees/jim-cronin/ in preparation for 2023/2024 and will be starting small. This is how most small growing businesses start. So the business was not factored in to the renovation of their place. Not sure what you mean by "keeping them afloat"?

There were many costs to a big project like this, probably the biggest on the series: purchasing all necessary tools and health & safety equipment/clothing, clear site all around house, put in septic tank, plumbing, heating, air to water thermal heat pumps, underfloor heating, insulation, fit out kitchen, bathrooms, appliances, all light fittings. Blockies were hired for the block laying part, as was plumbers and electricians in the final part. There was an engineer for signing off separate phases.

Van hire (for all the Done Deal purchases) , digger hire, skip hire was a cost too. Costs of all building materials sky rocketed this year which is the year they did most of the building and fitting. (They only started October 2021 and the first 2 months was demolition).

All the demolition, clearing, and re-building (apart from the actual block laying) roofing, concrete flooring, walls partitions, insulation etc was done by the couple. This was as well as working full time and minding 2 kids under 2. That project was built with blood, sweat and tears.......literally. I know this because it is my daughter and her husband.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They did a fantastic job Maggie, I loved how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Deeec

They did a good job on the house. It was a better show this week as your daughter and son in law were honest that they were not doing all themselves and were using professional tradespeople to help. Also your son in law being an architect knew that doing certain jobs himself would be very foolish and cost more down the line. All the other couples gave the impression they were doing everything themselves which is probably untrue.

I especially loved how they finished the house outside - it is a beautiful house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Well you well and truly put that to bed. Congratulations to them both ( +Harrison ), on a marvellous job. May the family have many happy years together there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

@[Deleted User] they did a fantastic job, my favourite of the series.

@Liamario I can't remember the numbers but I remember thinking that they seemed to get a lot done for their money thanks to the "re-use" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Gullible folk think that just because he's been on TV he's the bee's knees, same with Dermot Bannon but in reality they're just a media creation who can talk the talk and fill air time. But €700 for a 5 day course is very reasonable provided it was given by a professional. Considering that a half day manual training refresher course for a group of 9 costs a whopping €750 and a Safe Pass course for a similar group, which is one full day, costs €1,300 !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think the programme has improved over the episodes with the last one being the best of the lot, a down to earth no drama couple who knew what they were doing by and large and their project was a success in spite of rather than because of Harrisons input imhv... There's room for improvement but I wouldn't be surprised to see another series

thanks for the positive feedback, its really nice to hear! The house my daughter and husband renovated has turned out so well and is really warm and comfortable, I am jealous! Those heat pumps and underfloor heating systems are amazing, all day long, comfortable, temperate heat with no radiators. While a fireplace might have been nice, it would have reduced the impact of the type of heat system they wanted and reduced the BER in terms of getting grants.

The light coming in these early Winter mornings is amazing, it seems to come into the house at every angle, its a positively mood boosting house.

While they are thrilled with the results of all their hard work, I don't think they would do it again. Being part of a show puts huge pressure on as there are constant deadlines, film crews having to lots of "takes" , Harrison visiting on certain days etc. Its intrusive but on the other hand the pressure of filming means they completed their house quicker than if they were just doing it on their own. The last 2 months were the most stressful, I don't know how they did it, I saw the stress first hand, but now they can relax and enjoy their house knowing they built it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I "built" my own house a couple of years ago. When I say "I built", of course I had professionals heavily involved in doing all the important work, but I did get much more involved in it day to day than I thought I would. I really enjoyed it and I think I learned a lot of useful skills - practical and otherwise!

There is a great sense of satisfaction in building your own, even if your role is as small as cleaning up and a bit of labouring! Its also nice to be familiar with every aspect of your own home... e.g. something as simple as hanging a TV on the wall. I know where on the walls it is safe to drill and not safe to drill, as I saw where all the wiring went!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wouldn't do it myself, then again I'll be 3 score on my next birthday with a tired and battered body, at their age they don't have much fear, their life is ahead of them, it's a young person's game workin all hours on a project like that, I'm 2 years at one myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Really enjoyed the show - heart broke for them when storm wrecked polytunnel, I've been there! I think for a build like this, it needs a strong couple to work as a team, especially with two small children. Nicest house by far, exterior stone was lovely. These programmes will give others more confidence in considering self or partial self builds, especially with many doer uppers around the country often on lovely sites. Would be great to do follow ups a few years later to see how everyone has settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I don't doubt they put loads of work into the house and they should both be very proud.

This is a public forum about a TV show. I'm not posting on your Facebook page. I don't know you or anyone else on the show. I'm expressing an opinion on the show, you don't have to like what I'm saying.

Maybe your daughter will make a business out of it, I don't know. But in the context of the television show, it appeared to be nothing more than a distraction.

She doesn't have to justify herself to me and I don't have to justify myself to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I haven't watch the show but will do, but where is Pete Finn, aka Pete the Builder???

I can't imagine anyone who signs up for one of these shows is likable in any way. Even if you signed up for the help, all you get is 10 days from Harrison, it's not going to be the difference between building your own house or not.

I'm a member of the self build group on facebook, there's a real vanity feeling about the whole thing.

"look at what I have, our home is perfect"

People describing it as self building when they hire builder contractors to do all the work.

"Follow us for progress @littlehouseonthehill"

It's all very vain, look at me, I'm special kind of act.

Advertisement