Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020: The Year Ireland Left its Adolescence period

Options
  • 02-11-2022 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I think in March 2020, when Leo Varadkar stood up on the podium to announce he was closing down the country was a historic moment.

Historic, because there was world wide pandemic starting. But, also historic for another reason.

This was the first time in my living memory where Ireland was totally ignoring what the UK were doing. I don't think Varadkar even references them in his speech. In addition, Ireland was ignoring what Germany and France were doing. It's as if the Republic of Ireland had finally grown a pair and said it was doing it own thing this time regardless of what the neighbours were doing.

That night, in my mind, Ireland had finally left its adolescent phase. Ireland had finally grown up as a country.

Discuss...

(Please, please do not make this conversation about the pros and cons of lockdowns)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree. While Ireland has always remained aligned with the UK for economic and historical reasons, it was never a realistic possibility that the Irish would embark on the same path of abject stupidity that the British begin walking down in 2016. For that reason, I'd say 2016 though before that there's been pressure on Ireland from the US as well as the EU and the Irish have held firm. Ireland was a mature nation long before 2020. Since things were quite harmonious, there wasn't much opportunity to show it until the past decade or so.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ireland is being ruled by the EU now, previously it was the church and before that it was England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Well when it comes to things like economic and social policy. Ireland still has lots of autonomy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Wasn't Ireland pretty much first in the world when it came to both the plastic bag levy and the smoking ban back in the day? Policies that most major countries have followed since. We were also the world's first country to divest from state investment in fossil fuels (or at least there was a vote on it and I remember it being news, I don't know if that has actually happened since?)

I'm sure there are plenty more examples, we haven't always just copied Britain.

• Advertisement

If Ireland was being ruled by the EU our corporation tax rate would not be 12.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ridiculous comment.

OP we broke with Sterling in 1979 and decided to join the euro without the UK in 1999 so we've been going on a divergent path from the UK for a long time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

We don't even have our own currency anymore. We had to beg the EU for some exemptions during the Lisbon treaty (when we were signing away lots more autonomy) if we could keep our abortion ban for another couple of years. Then we quickly got rid of it anyway and fell into line

Don't worry it will be gone soon enough. Its only limping along from one stay of it's execution to another

News stories that we're getting the bulk of our tax revenue from something like 10 companies is extremely concerning.

When the corporation tax rate changes, it could leave Ireland in a very precarious situation. Some of these companies could easily move to Portugal. This could be Fruit of the Loom factory all over again, except this time it will be the tech companies.

• Advertisement

TBH I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it goes away the rate will only go up a few %, there is a huge cost to moving one of those companies and tons of their staff won't want to go to the new location. The whole notion about the 12.5% being so vital comes from an outdated generation of betrodden self-loathing spud pickers who thought the best Ireland had to offer was a cheap ticket to Europe for American megacorps.

For these companies, there is more to value than just a tax rate - that is true.

But does being reliant on so few companies for tax revenue not concern you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Portugal would be a strange choice seeing that it has the highest corporation tax in all of Europe, not just the EU. Unless they wanted to keep in the same time zone as Ireland? Having to change their clocks would be a big imposition.

Yep. Any day now. Hasn't happened for decades but somehow people still come out with this.

What percentage of the Irish tax take comes from these companies?

H. H. Asquith

A bit. The danger is a big tech slump that's already kind of happening that could cause a mass exodus. For years now there is an expectation with certain degrees that you can just march into a tech company and get a few k horsed into your bank account every month for the rest of your days once you keep de head down. There aren't nearly enough indigenous start ups here despite grants being available

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If a start up is defined as a new company, there are plenty of them being formed.

https://www.vision-net.ie/Business-Barometer/Gazette-New-Companies/

Not enough people quittin' the almighty Goog/Apple and starting their own tech company. It does happen now and then but that scene in Ireland is much smaller than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Don't agree.

When Ireland invests in its armed forces that can defend the country and also gas storage not dependent on the UK I will change my mind. Also once in a while say no we dont want to do it like this to the EU.

This is not just about one leader after all but overall attitude of the governing class.

We're far better off with the euro than without, that's just a fact. Oh and we never had our own currency until 1979, anyway.

The Lisbon treaty never had anything to do with abortion, that was just the government here choosing to pander to the religious crazies as usual.

It was the Irish electorate's decision to repeal the 8th amendment and it's quite likely they'd have done it years earlier if politicians had had the balls to give us the chance to vote on it sooner.

The "fall into line" stuff is rubbish. Abortion has got nothing to do with the EU.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Most of the employees at these tech and finance giants are non nationals but all are paying into the Irish exchequer.

We are merely a facilitator we don't actually do anything.

• Advertisement

Left it's adolescence and regressed to an infantile state..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

tiktok dances..not being allowed outside for your own safety.."stay safe"..everyone tuning in every evening to be told the numbers and how bad it was..

The complete "Awww...we're in it together, isn't it great to take a break, and bake some cookies" sh1te..

You were infantalised..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Might be handy when you go on holidays but we are stuck with the EU's interest rates and their threats to kick us out if we don't pay up like during the 2008 crash.

It doesn't really matter what would or could have happened to abortion, the point I'm making is the EU does influence us on social issues and our autonomy is reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭foxsake

Ireland is controlled by the EU and associated groupings (and has been for years ) a lot is due to a childlike deference to our betters - our politicals have an obsession with being "best in class" instead of doing what is best for Ireland.

currently demonstrated by the rush accept as many refugees / foreigners into the country as there are seats on the plans and boats with no regards for the impact quality of life for the Irish Citizen but all eyes on the exalted in the EU and further afield.

In their world there is no price too much for the Irish Citizen to bear so Ireland looks good.

we are ruled (and in fairness they are voted in ) by servile gombeens , imagine a rabble of characters akin the "bird" in the field (as played by john Hurt)

Post edited by foxsake on

H. H. Asquith

The EU does not influence us on social issues, Irish people have broadened their horizons and are far less insular than 50 or 60 years ago but that's not just because of the ability to live/work in the EU.

If the EU influenced us on social issues how did the 8th amendment pass in the first place? and then last for 35 years?

The EU has nothing to do with abortion. This is just a myth peddled by the catholic far right who can't face up to the fact that the days of the Irish people buying their BS are long over.

The euro is a lot more than "handy when going on holidays", pretty juvenile way of looking at things tbh. Ask anyone who trades internationally.

What do you reckon interest rates would be on an Irish pound right now? We can't know for sure but there'd be no doubt they would be significantly higher than now. Look at what happened to the UK recently, even an economy that large was swatted like a fly by the markets, the bigger the currency bloc we are part of the more stable our economy is.

Do you actually think borrowing money and not paying it back is a viable economic strategy? We're not Venezuela or Argentina and have no desire to be, either.

Yet more puerile rubbish with no basis in fact and no evidence provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭foxsake

leaving aside that you are v wrong in your assertion.

did I not give an example of the current rush to house everybody but the irish citizen? are you denying that is happening or do you need it spelt out?

In past I have spent time posting articles , links, the works and tbh nobody reads them, care or does ad hominem attacks on the source (without discussing the facts)

Why waste my time? If I did all you ask , would you bother reading them to critic what i post?

you know how it is.

Advertisement