If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Orthodontic treatment

  • 30-10-2022 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Val00

    Hello , I'm wondering if anyone could help me with my question please. I was initially told I had over crowding on upper arch, that I may need 2 teeth extraction. After having xray's the Orthodontist decided I would not need to have any teeth removed. A Hypothetical question, If I did need the extraction of 2 upper teeth and I objected, would an orthodontist carry out treatment to leave you with the end result of an overjet and conditions that come with an overjet ?

    Post edited by Spear on


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 23,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Spear

    Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Val00

    Apologies... I thought this fourm was for all topic conversations ?

  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭ helimachoptor

    There's a specific dental forum, you're now in it

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

    In attempting to reduce an overjet, the orthodontist will be reducing how far forward your upper teeth are in front of your lower teeth. If the only way of doing that is to move the upper front teeth back, and the ortho needs to create the space to do this by removing a premolar on each side, then yes, if you decline the treatment recommended, you will have to accept that your decision has affected the outcome and you could be left with an overjet and the conditions that come with it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Val00

    Thankyou for your reply. Initially the Ortho said I may need to have 2 upper teeth extracted. He later said there was no need for extraction after i had xray's. I am now left with an overjet problem. At 1st review I had addressed my concerns to him since removal of my braces, problems I have with smiling eating etc. He said it was because I have prominent lips of someone in their 20's , that I would not be suitable for any more treatment etc...

    2nd review , I again expressed my concerns and complaints and told him I did research and believe I have an overjet/overbite. Expressed how unhappy I am. He asked me would i have liked 2 teeth removed , I was shocked that a professional Ortho would ask me this now after completing my treatment!!!

    I just thought that if Hypothetically I did object to extraction then how on earth would an ortho treat someone knowing the conditions an overjet would bring.

    I dealing with a very dishonest Orthodontist here !

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

    Your second post bears no relation to your first, I’m afraid I can’t help you any further if you don’t seem sure if you objected to the extractions. If you are unhappy with the result, seek a second opinion.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Val00

    Dav010, Thankyou for your reply.

    I'm very sure I did not object to having 2 teeth removed. I went with the Ortho's advice . He initially said I would need 2 upper teeth extraction then after xray's he said, I didnt. I went ahead with the treatment for a slanted tooth and now I am left with an overjet, an overjet I never had in the place!

    The ortho made the professional decision to not extract my teeth and as a result I am left with an overjet.

    I was putting a hypothetical question on this board , that if a patient is advised that you would be left with an overjet without extraction and the patient objects to extraction. Is it professional that an Orthodontist would carry out treatment knowing you would be left with conditions caused by overjet.

    My thoughts would be mist definitely not and wanted to get feedback on my question.