Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro computers used in Irish schools?

Options
  • 30-10-2022 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I only moved to Ireland a few years ago from the UK and I was curious about what computers were used in Irish schools before Windows PCs became ubiquitous? As I understand, there wasn't any widespread use of Acorn/BBC machines like in the UK? My friend of a similar age who did grow up here says he doesn't remmeber a computer at all in primary school, only secondary/high school, is that generally how it was in the 80s/early 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Back in the mid to late 80s in the local secondary school we had a room of maybe 10 BBC Bs networked together, green screens, 1 full colour screen, disk storage on the network and an Apple ll.

The BBC computers were absolutely excellent with brilliant keyboards and brilliant version of BASIC. The Apple II was ... a curiosity.

The BBC had a superb version of Defender too 🤠

Free Irish public school as in public public not posh UK fee paying private school. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

Oh interesting, so the BBC was fairly common here too? Were there any Irish developed titles specifically? if there's an Irish version of Granny's Garden I have to play that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Apple 2e I believe it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm sure it was common enough in secondary schools.

Very little commercial educational or gaming software developed here until much later than 80s ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

We had a BBC micro in primary school(late 80's to very early 90's), just the one if memory serves. In secondary school it was a bunch of Wang PC's in Computer Studies class with a C64 in the corner untouched and also some other sort of PC running the CAD/CAM machines in Engineering/Metalwork classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

PDP-11 and Commodore Pet, early 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm so old we had a Bombe in the computer room.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC machines in primary school, then early secondary school was Apple II's.

In primary school it was 1 computer for the entire school, teachers booked it in slots for their class and it was wheeled around from class to class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

We had a load of Macs and one Windows 95 machine.

My Dad was a teacher and his school had some C64s which we got to borrow for the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Inviere

BBC Micros in primary I THINK, because Granny's Garden is all I remember and that's a BBC game. Secondary had what were I think some 286's with Amber monochrome screens.....

• Advertisement

Actually got a head of the game before I attended "computer science " in school.

Remember(half) a basic game programming manual with my amstrad cpc464. Good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I recall in the 80's I believe it was Lever Brothers (now Unilever) and whatever group of companies they were with had a proimotion if the school collected barcodes from their products they could redeem them for a new Apple computer. It was some crazy amount needed to complete the offer, like £1 million worth of purchases for 1 free computer, pupils gathered them from their family, neighbours and relations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We had Apple IIe computers in my school, 84-89

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Primary school didn't have any computers for student use, but I do remember helping them after i left to figure out a standalone BBC Micro which i think was donated to them.

Secondary (mid 90s!) school had a whole room full of Apple IIe, which I only remember using once and it was some basic drawing program. I think that was 1st year, not allowed after that to use them and then they got some PCs and us dumb dumbs weren't allowed user or even near them. Di*ks

College, labs full of Pentium 2 & 3 PCs

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The RML machines weren't unheard of. My primary school had mostly RM PCs by the time I was there (286 mostly). Quite oudated.

Secondary still had the Telecom Eireann one-PC-per-school in the computer room when I went there, which was just about as outdated by then - most of the rest of the machines were local PC builder PIIs.

Apple IIes in the science labs for various ancient probes and test gear; Macs (first gen PowerPC mainly) in the art rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Every month or two a grumpy auld lad would show up with a cart load of coal. When he finished shoveling the head master would light the furnace after going around polishing all the pipes and valves and oiling all the gears and bearings. Then nothing would happen for hours while the thing heated up. Eventually there would be enough steam pressure to get the thing up to 88Hz. It would be time to go home but you'd show up with your program that you spent the previous two weeks preparing on a clay slab with lots of tiny sand castle shapes on it representing '1's.

You'd ask someone in 6th year to take a look at it to ensure no spindle lock would occur. If it would you could do damage especially if the machine was running fast. Then you'd ask the head master "please, sir will you load it for me?" but you'd have to wait your turn. You could see what the program spat out on a repurposed manual typewriter that would start typing all by itself much to the amazement of a row of uniformed lads standing around eagerly waiting for it to happen. If your program ran as intended you'd get a round of applause.

If you were one of the big boys and teachers pets who could make their own way home you could stay on and try to spool up the 1bps modem and send a few nibbles of data to a school in a nearby parish. You'd pray there were no leaks in the pipes because it ran on air pressure. If you were lucky enough that there was another school around with a computing machine running you could send a simple message or two and try to get a beour from aforementioned school to meet you the following saturday beneath a clock in the town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No computers in our schools until the Quinnsworth promotion where parents collected tokens and if the school received enough they could be traded in for a BBC micro. You'd maybe get a go at some educational software once a month on it rather than learning how to actually use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

We had (Secondary school, early-mid 80s) 1 Apple II which was used to teach programming in COMAL-80.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My primary school (finished 6th class in 1990) had a couple of Apple II's that were mostly used for playing Cannonball Blitz and a little bit of Basic programming.

We also received a couple of TRS80's as handmedowns from a nearby fee paying secondary school, to the best of my knowledge they were never successfully booted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I moved around a bit. No computers in any primary school. Mid/late 80s secondary no computers we had a computer class, but it wasn't permanent. Might even been an extra after school class. The room was a science lab during the day. No idea what they were c64 maybe. I don't remember being there when I left.

Apple II were incredibly expensive weren't they? Some people seemed to have very well funded primary schools. I wonder what those schools have today.

• Advertisement

Was vax not the os?

Maybe completely wrong.

Edit: ignore. I was thinking of vms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This. COMAL was an excellent language as it combined the friendliness of the basic environment with the structure of pascal and the graphics of Logo. Sadly it died due to couple of things:

• It was expensive, the C64 version for example cost about $120-$130 a pop
    • Inventors and advocates for it were mainly middle aged teachers that either died or grew old and retired early in the 80s.
    • Of course it did not help that the Danish company carrying out the port for the PC lost the entire code base after several years work and had to start over, thus it was very late to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

We had an Acorn of some sort in primary school. i don't know which type. i remember the floopy drive was beneath the keyboard on the right hand side. I used to play granny's Garden on it as well as some adventure game about orientiering with a map and compass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My primary school had Acorn A3010s which were backwards compatible with the BBC systems from what I can remember. Secondary had Apple IIs but replaced them with Windows 95 PCs the year I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

By 92-95 it was different world. Windows 3 was well established and computers were far more common.

Well feckin la-di-da with your backwards compatibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You guys have some memory's to remember the computers. I do not remember the exact models but in primary school there was a room full of apple computers because I remember the apple logo. I remember going into the room with no windows and a special steel door to stop them being robbed. The mad thing is we were only in there a few times in one year. I think it was 1st class. The school I was in was split into two schools. JI, SI, 1st and 2nd were in one school and 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th were in a separate school with a different name. And the mad thing is we never done computers as we got older just a few times in 1st class.

I never touched a computer in secondary school even though there was computers in the school. We were never taught them in junior certificate cycle only if you stayed on to do the leaving cert in the school I went to. They weren't locked away either behind a secure steel door like they were in primary school. I then left school at 15 so never learned computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

BBC Micros in secondary, only used 40mins a week and only in the 1st year. Classic 80s Irish education.

Primary had one BBC, and an Acorn Electron of all things, but were only used for a short-lived sort of computer club once a week. Had a broken Vic20 somewhere as well

Got win 95 and some rugby game was played.

In college climbed over the gates of trinity to play quake.

• Advertisement

I vaguely remember a BBC Micro being used in primary school for Logo. There one in each classroom in my first primary school and it was used all the time. One group would be using the computer, one group reading in “the library” (in class book shelf) another group working on some project and another group might be doing a taught traditional class and the teacher would just keep rotating us between those. Was pretty decent for a NS in that era. I never remember it being everyone simultaneously doing the same thing. There was loads of moving around.

We used to get challenges to write little programmes in Logo to solve puzzle and so on.

That and Granny’s Garden.

The BBCs were really old and made way for shiny new Macs.

We mostly had Macs after that in secondary too. I don’t remember ever having Apple // but there were a couple of relics in a computer room gathering dust.

There was a full networked lab of older Macs on an AppleTalk network. They were replaced with more modern Macs, Ethernet and internet access by the time I was towards the end of school. I think we had ISDN. Broadband was still sci-fi.

You could just wander in and go on the web (totally unsupervised) on a couple of macs at lunch time. Oddly we did sensible things like make a really basic website.

I’ve also recently discovered that Mavis Beacon never existed … all those years of typing lies!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement