Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5G Antenna Recommendation

• 28-10-2022 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a good recommendation for a 5G antenna? I'm getting a reception of 1 bar on my ZTE 5G CPE MC801A on the lyca mobile sim, on three network.

Whilst this is giving me speeds of between 100 and 200 mb/s which is in reality plenty for now...I want to see how fast i can get to future proof!

A lot of amazon reviews are hard to tell if it's people using them for 4G or 5G.

I'll bring router up to attic to see if that would gain much over the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How many antenna inputs on the unit?

My brother installed earlier this year - https://www.iskra.eu/en/Antenna-Systems/MIMO-Antenna-P-60-5G-7003800/

Coverage all the way up to 3800 MHz

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks, Yeah I have two inputs. Did his speed increase much? He did with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

+1 for Iskra

MC801A has two TS9 ports for external antenna - will require tails, Iskra comes with SMA

We are in a bit of a signal hole here with the best accessible mast almost 9 Kms away, he's getting approx up to 150 Mbps 4g (4g B818 router) .

I'm nearby using a 5 band mobile repeater with external Yagi directional antenna pointing at the same transmitter, hotspotting to laptop, up to maybe 50 Mbps.

The numbers speak for themselves.

Thanks good spot about the connections. Have you used it on 5G? Be interested to get 5G feedback.

• Advertisement

No, dont have 5G router, on B818(4G only). Have P60 and P58(4G) kits(two setups) - both perfect performance

Mast ~4km distance and despite there is 5G , tests with 5G enabled phone near mast gave me worse speeds than i have on 4G at my location.

This was ~ Jan22, perhaps things could have improved , but wont be investing into hardware for now as have more than i need speed as is atm.

Note mounting specifics if consider Iskra !!!

got these, but you might get elsewhere i guess, 90° angle option should be also available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XK41XRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Are there instructions with the antenna? Should they both point in same direction, or at right angles to each other?

Basic instructions, both aerials point in the same direction, when mounted the directors form an X as per the pic on the site, dimension between aerials as per website 66-96cm.

Might be a non issue now, I'm guessing I've violated the lycamobile fair use policy....speed limited to 0.06 Mb/s...down from 350 Mb/s when I had it in the attic! I invetsed £249 in the router and I don't think any other provider in Ireland offers competative 5G broad band...they all include the router with the bundle which makes them expensive :-( Get speeds of 50-100 Mb/s on my 48.ie 4G sim so that will have to do for now I think! Have emailed lyca mobile customer service, will see what they say.

Why move it from the attic with such good speed?

Where have you moved it to? Have you connected an external aerial?

• Advertisement

I didn't move it at all, was testing in attic to see but hadn't things set up when up there. This was giving me good hope for external antenna speeds. So was going to get one, rather than keep router in attic.

However now it seems lyca have limited my speed.....I assume for breaking their fair use policy. So my speed is throttled to 0.06Mb/s regardless of location. I contacted customer service so I'll see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Stiro05

Three have the unlimited 5g for €15 per month which may be better for you. I have used three SIM cards in modems for years and had no issues

That offer just ended yesterday :-( it was due to end on 4th November but embedded early! I was having a look at the boards thread earlier, going to test it out. €40 a month just seems so much for a legit one. I'll see what lyca say tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Stiro05

Sorry my bad, didn't actually think they would end it. Thought they would extend it for Xmas. The only other option is Vodafone X 5 g plan, its €25 and have used in modem. Unlimited with no FUP. I know it's more but may be good

No I didn't do anything yet, in reality the speeds I have are probably enough. I moved to the three hero contrwct so unlimited 5G for €15 a month. I was back in 4G for a while with 48 as lyca SIM throttled to tiny speeds after only 60 gigabytes!

What you getting? still 100-200 ? Does it read as 5G, stay stable?

Perhaps you aware, but will drop in here anyway

ZTE MC801A , apparently, external antenna connectors only for 5G, and potentially just for n77/n78 bands (default, n79 optional, not additional), but don't quote me on this .

I am not sure if rural areas have n77/n78 at all, i know they run n3. @The Cush hi , by chance you have info on this?

Further, as n3 is 1800 MHz, 4G internal antenna can "catch" it for CA - if you are in good shape on 4G , this device will CA n3 and will display "5G" for you 😊

Also, options will/might depend on firmware - what is yours ? Is your router branded as Three? T-mobile? other? locked/unlocked?

External antenna ports do not have effect to 4G reception as it appear. Router physical modification required to install 4G antenna ports. I fear without 4G signal improvement speed might not increase for "long range" users as myself

There are some hidden menus on that device(as on any other , i guess), some are interesting

There is some javascript to enable/expose some additional monitoring/configuration options.

Ah ok that's interesting so the external aerial may not improve things. I had heard they were for 5G only but didn't hear anything band specific, though it's not something Yeah I get over 100 consistently which is more than enough for me. I was getting 300 when I brought up to attic, I reckon an optimal location in there I could get 350-400 but might not be best environment for electronics, given the price of it. The speed I'm getting isn't drastically more than what my 4G speeds were with the old router, 176 down and 17 up just there. I'd get 80-120 down on 4G.

It has the factory firmware, unbranded and unlocked. I see on Amazon your are £229 now which is a bit better than I paid. They say they are unlocked but have three logo on them. Still think they are so expensive Vs 4g.

Three logo on external of unit - i think still unlocked , as long there is no three logo inside(firmware)

Attic should be fine unless it gets hot there during summer, that thing run ~40°C on its own on average, under load will go hot, needs cooling, hence you see those grills bottom&top(home for spiders 😊). See for yourself, paste this into new tab browser once logged in router GUI

192.168.0.1/index.html#temp_status

Advertisement