Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The end of the Ford Fiesta

• 27-10-2022 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Thought there would be a thread already on this but can't find one. While personally I'm pretty meh about the news, it has been a constant presence on our roads for since the mid 70's (or six decades) so will be surely missed.

Seems to be another victim of the trend towards SUVs and crossovers, Ford say it's going due to push to electric, so why not a electric version. Soon salons (I know it's a hatch, but I mean regular cars) will be a niche, Fords already stopped production of sedans in the US.

Anyway, RIP Fiesta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My first official driving lessons were in one, it had power steering which was a great luxury at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have been in many a fiesta. I remember the the oldest one was before the stumpy front one bit it still had the metal going down between the lights and no real grill but he kept it absolutely spotless like new inside.

Then after that he got a stuppy nose one and had a crash in it so gave up driving for a while and moved to the city. It was not that badly damaged do and his brother bought it after it got all fixed up for real cheap. It had the 1.25 zetec engine in it and could easily do the ton but that was bloody scarry.

Anyway the engine finally went a bit crazy in it he would be shopped at light and the engine would be revving like mad and then when he would go to go it would nearly stall so it got scrapped for a Focus 3 door.

I have also been in some of the more recent models just not the very latest one.

So yes a car that has touched a lot in Irish society I would say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

My very first car was a gold coloured Fiesta L mark 1.

I changed it for a gold Sierra and regretted it every day afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

So it's not just the fiesta. The smax, galaxy and focus will join the mondeo on death row. So basically all its passenger cars (other than a couple of faux SUVs) are being axed over the next 2 years with nothing but the Mach E, which doesn't even sport the blue oval, launched as a replacement. Sad really, Ford as we have known it is gone.

Surprised to hear they have an ID4 equivalent launching next year. Best kept secret in the motor industry or are they simply way being the curve in its development?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I read somewhere that Ford are investing heavily is hydrogen fuel cell technology until such time as battery technology has improved.

Not sure if I can see myself driving a Puma or Kuga though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiesta sales have been in decline across the Continent for a few years now. SMax and Galaxy are based on the Mondeo platform so their cards were marked since the Mondoe got the death sentence. I didn't read anything about the future of the Focus but would assume the current Focus will solider on for a few more years.

Mache E is too expensive to sell in decent numbers here and putting a Mustang name on it was daft but Puma EV is being launched next year. Ford already have a platform sharing agreement with VW around some of their commercial vehicles so Ford badged ID models couldn't be ruled out at some point I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I have fond memories of my mum getting a used first-gen one when I was a kid in the mid-80s, was the car that turned us into a two car family.

Ford Europe seem to be totally lost at the moment, they've a terrible product range. Mondeo gone, S-max/Galaxy/Fiesta going. Puma and Kuga not lookers and Focus completely forgotten about.

10/15 years ago they were pretty much top of every segment they were in. The Koreans and Skoda have really hurt them.

The article is suggesting the focus will be axed in 2025 so unless you want to drive around in a ranger or a transit, it's either a faux SUV or an over priced EV unless they get the finger out and launch a few affordable and practical EVs

But very few are buying hatchbacks now anyway, they are all buying faux SUVs such as the Puma and Kuga. Very few manufacturers have affordable EVs on sale unless you include the Chinese stuff starting to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

As an ST owner I think the end of the Fiesta will leave a gap in the affordable fun market.

Though an new ST is 41.5k here now so maybe not so cheap anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I never owned one but drove them in all iterations and on the whole they weren't bad cars.

Just an anecdote -

The late SligoJoeK of this parish who passed away too young last year used to say that his father who was in the motor trade had no time for them and referred to them as Ford Fiascos 🙂

RIP Joe gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Will there be a gap in the market for them?

I don't like regular Fords, but I love all the ST & RS cars. Particularly the Fiesta (had a Focus ST for a short time and drove a Fiesta ST)... they are just unrefined fun fun fun, noise, clatter, acceleration, handling... a pure drivers car (unlike the latest Golf GTi which went a bit too smooth, sophisticated and urbane). There's two Fiesta ST's close to me, a red one and a blue one, both immaculate.

When I see a Ford Fiesta ST I feel like shaking the owners hand. Maybe there'll be a few hooligan celebration models released at the end of the line that I can pick up when they're affordable in a decades time.

The problem/tragedy with cars like the Fiesta ST is that in nearly every country now it is government policy or regulation to price these cars out of existance. The whole point of a hot hatch is that it offers fun performance with some sort of affordability. Those days are gone now and the price of these cars are being pushed and pushed further out of reach of their target market to the point that it's not worth investing in producing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Sorry for not being able to contribute to my own thread, I've lost interest in current cars a long time ago, but some interesting comments. i was on youtube last night on a different device and this popped up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

The irony is that Govts are now heavily incentivising EVs whose 0-100 kph times would dwarf those of so called hot hatches that are considered by many to be driven by young foolhardy risk takers that put other more sensible persons life's at risk. No such negative sentiments towards EVs for some reason. Maybe it's because todate they are the preserve of more sensible better off people which may change in the years ahead when more affordable used EVs make there way into the hands of these younger foolhardy class of drivers. A new era of muscle cars beckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

A total shame.

I've had 7 fiesta's.

My oldest was a mk1 xr2 the newest is a mk8.5 st.

They really are great cars. It's poor for customer choice. But i guess it means my current one is going to be a collectors item some day.

The way things are heading you'll soon be able to throw your Fiesta in the boot of your EV to show off to your friends so they can marvel as how compact super mini sized ICEs were in the bad old days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think there has been a Fiesta in the family at some stage of my life for the last 20 years, the missus bought one new 2 years back and loves it, great cars that offer brilliant practicality and value for money. A real pity they are going and I will be loathe to spend €50k on a Korean EV box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

U.K. sales of Fiesta fell off a cliff and it hasn't made the top 10 in year - the Puma is the best selling Ford now. Its not all dead for the cheapish small cars though- the Corsa is the best selling car in the U.K. for some reason, and the 208 and Sandro are big sellers in Europe. I hope that the green agenda pushes the market back into smaller cars. I'm driving a fairly large SUV and its rubbish, can't wait to get back to an estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I drive 3 years old Fiesta with rather peaceful 1.1 engine. Always liked them,my parents drive the previous generation as well and never complained.

I was looking for an A to B kind of car for zero to one passenger most of the time with occasional trips to Donegal that the car handled well.

I always thought that small car is good for my needs, wonder what the other manufacturers come up with now.

I definitely can't do electric and don't need mini SUV, Fiesta was just perfect for what I needed.

I hope Ford know what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If this doesn't show the absolute folly of forcing us into these damn electric cars on spurious environmental saving grounds, I don't know what is.

It is absolutely ludicrous that a small, light, cheap car (that just so happens to be an absolute riot to drive, even the cooking 1.1s with no power at all handle like a sports car and have steering feel that's like a car with decent hydraulic power steering than the usual numbness and remoteness that comes as standard in cars with electric power steering) has to give way because of emissions rules / government policy discouraging car companies from selling cars like the humble Ford Fiesta, yet we've all these oversized, overpriced and overweight electric SUVs being able to be sold and supposedly zero emissions. How is a 2.7 tonne monstrosity like a Mercedes EQS or BMW iX or any of those over vulgar electric SUVs that are the current misguided fashion greener than this?

Common sense has resolutely gone out the window here.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Small cars aren’t profitable enough for them. Same reason they don’t sell anything we would recognise as a car in the USA anymore.

it gives you an idea of where Ford is at when the likes of Dacia can make money on a Sandero, and when Stellantis can electrify the 208/Corsa. Ford aren’t even properly bothering with vans now either. Times are changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Are you considering a new Fiesta for your next car?

If your answer is no, then that's why it's being scrapped. Nothing to do with an agenda. The market dictates what it wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Tech_Head

It’s a shame for sure. I’ve a Mk 7.5 Red Edition. It’s a 1.0 with 125 horsepower but remapped to up it some more. Great handling and fun little car. Am tempted to go for a newer one as really do need 5 doors now. Would have to be the ST to get an engine that’s at least as good as mine but they have crept up in price by quite a bit.

It's not that simple, Govt policy massively distorts the market. Greenie policies such as carbon based VRT, motor tax and EV grants has massively distorted the market in Ireland in recent years. Did the market really decide that non commercial urban drivers should buy diesel cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Small hatchbacks just aren't popular anymore as prefer crossover type cars even if it's basically just a small hatchback on stilts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Very sad to hear as the fiesta was a decent, affordable car, that was great to drive. But considering we are in an energy/climate crisis it seems quite bizarre that a huge car maker like ford is abandoning small cars.

🙈🙉🙊

Mild Hybrid wasn’t enough for customers. I’ve seen a decent share of their target owners move to the Yaris if the don’t want a crossover or over to Hyundai instead. People that want to stick with Ford went for the Puma instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Since you own one you may know. How can you tell what HP each one is like yours is the 125 while most are the 100.

I know the new 125hp models are mild hybrid but if looking for a older car how can you tell rather than listen to what the seller says.

You can see it on reg check sites like this one:

Don’t need to pay, it’ll say it at the top. Just checked mine to make sure it worked - 125PS.

As far as I am aware, it’s just the Black / Red editions that were 125PS.

Remapped mine to 158 (approx) from this site:

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/Details/ECU-Remap/Ford/Fiesta-Mk7-2008/Petrol/STLine-1-0T-123-bhp/stage-1

I’m just starting to look at cars, was going to be the new Civic but tempted by an ST now. Not sure if / when I’ll be selling but DM me and I can let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

More a nostalgic post. My first car was a Fiesta van. A 1990 model. Seven years old when I bought it at an auction. Spoilers etc. Looked great. I quickly graduated to a red version. Brand new in 1998. Loved them. I have driven rental saloon versions over the last few years. A great drive. Always felt good. The Fiesta will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Fiesta vans were a big thing back then. The tax was less on them so people bought them as a cheap car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a shame, as they were great cars.

Ford are in an odd place right now. I'm not sure what they are thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I hope this kills Ford - or at least comes close enough to killing them. It's unforgivable, abandoning decent, worthy cars like the Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo, in favour of pointless, ugly wastes of space like the Kuga and the Puma. The SUV/crossover craze can't go on forever. At some point, the fools who buy them will realise that they're being conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I remember being a front seat passenger in a 1979 Chevy Impala that T-Boned (as the yanks say) a canary yellow Mk 1 Fiesta in the states back in the 80s. It literally folded in half. How the driver came out of it with just a slightly split head I'll never know. My dad had an automatic Mk 3 about 30 years ago. It was one of the biggest heaps of shyte I ever travelled in. My gf had a Mk 5 up until about 8 years ago and funnily enough I thought it felt like a fairly solid car to drive. I love the old XR2s but I'd imagine they'll be skyrocketing in price even more now.

What'll @Henry Ford III buy next...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hope you're right, but it's a long shot. The simple thing is, people buy those bloated monstrosities for their safety (pedestrians notwithstanding). God forbid you only bought a Focus, Golf or Megane and get T-boned by some tosser in a Karenpanzer. 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think Ford in Europe is a complete mess now and it’s symptomatic of their problems when they are going to discard such a strong household name like this. Built up over decades.

Their range is awful, I like the Focus but looks like that’s going to be let wither on the vine too. The Kuga is uglier with the newest generated model. The Puma isn’t bad but it’s nothing special and certainly is nothing that Toyota or Hyundai are doing better. They still have a big dealer network in Ireland but that can’t last as it slips down the sales rankings.

Most of the “SUVs” are jacked up small hatches anyhow. Unless it’s something like a Land cruiser or Discovery the size differential isn’t a massive deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I've one of those 125ps models as well (18), that remap is interesting. Is the whole process just a matter of plugging in the magic box & would you recommend it? Presume it can be reversed if needed also?

There’s a few more steps to begin with. You use the device to pull the original map for the car and upload to their servers via PC. Once done, you download their version to the device and into the car. After this, you can swap back and forth in less than 5min so easy to restore to original if and when needed. Definitely worthwhile, was pleasantly surprised at the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

First car I drove, and later owned through inheritance, was a first gen 1983, 998cc or something. Brilliant car, light and quick. Not fast, though.

Second main car for me was a 00 Ghia. Bulletproof engine. Bugger all maintenance/repairs except standard wear stuff. But underbody rust did for it, and not even my previously trusted bodywork guy would do it. I had nursed it for 22 years, but too much hassle for him.

I salute the Fiesta!

Post edited by Grolschevik on

I agree that the Fiesta is a well performing and cheap to run car that’s more enjoyable to drive than a Yaris but could the problems not stem from it being a cheap to get 16 year old Yaris?

Rust is/was a major issue on older fiestas and fords in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Learnt to drive in MK1, sister had several now has a puma

Never thought I’d say this but Opels range is far more appealing now than Fords. Give me a Corsa any day over the fiesta

• Advertisement
Advertisement