Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product placement on RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 26-10-2022 4:11pm

Today’s Liveline show was an example, an entire show dedicated to the promotion of the new film, Banshees of Inisherin. Callers who were critical of the film were quickly shown the door to allow more room for positive reviews. After Liveline, Ray Darcy continued the promotion on his afternoon show, but Liveline had taken the biscuit.

Drop your observations below:

26th Oct

Liveline with Joe Duffy, entire show devoted to promotion of new film Banshees of Inisherin

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Everyday:

Ray Darcy has to drop in a mention of Spotify somewhere, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anything remotely irish gets massive free publicity in irish media, when it's disguised as interviews, discussion etc.

You never hear any irish radio show say such films aren't amazing, fantastic etc. They are so biased it's untrue.

And some irish media even promote non Irish stuff to the hilt too. Ryan Tubridy has given the Elvis film constant plugs and praise for the last 6 months. Huge amounts of free advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Isn't every show of Joe Duffys dedicated to only 1 topic per day?

As for no irish show being critical of irish films, just tune into Arena on Radio 1. They give pretty honest reviews of irish films. Plenty of times you'll hear "i wanted it to be good but I can only give it 2 stars".

As it is, the film has done extremely well and has received very good reviews internationally and is tipped for Oscars success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Off topic slightly but I was thinking the other day that whoever is promoting that film is doing some job! Have seen it feature on the Irish news a lot, but it's also featured on BBC News at 10, Sky News and Channel 4 News, as an actual news piece, and not in some "entertainment" section. They're greasing the right wheels anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

As all the reviews would indicate.

Sometimes a movie or some other cultural phenomenon captures the attention of the media and of the general population... I remember queuing to see ET at the Savoy and the queue was half way down O'Connell Street.

PR won't get any product a mention on the news unless the product is newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dr Karl

Sticking to movies what about the made for TV catoon movie about Riverdance. The critic who gave it a bad review was demonised by the host and people who never saw it. There was no mention of the link between RTE and the producers of said movie.

But RTE aren't the only one at this, Off The Ball are very explicit seeking free goods, clothing, food, coffee, flowers etc.

But companies like Cadbury are giving "free" goods to presenters on Irish radio station, just ask Today FM about last Easter. We pay for it in excessive prices.

I've seen social media posts where smaller companies are giving free goods to local radio presenters some of whom present current affairs shows. Should not be allowed.

What about a presenter associated with environmental issues previously getting the use of a free Audi and saying how he liked a certain large Audi, without declaring an interest. Lol Audi's parent company VW were up to no good with dodgy diesel engines. I'm sure those engines made their way into Audi cars, it is how VW made so much profit (Audi, VW Seat, Skoda are the same, just a different shape body and badge) they opened their own bank.

The BAI need to properly regulate this practice, but like the insurance industry the Irish authorities won't regulate it. If I know my public servants, and I do, they are on one long coffee break while "WFH". But at least that is consistent with actually going to the office.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

On Monday this week the matchmaking agency Intro Dating got what amounted to a free ad at the end of Liveline with Katie Hannon.

Advertisement