Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fines for some offences to double from midnight tonight.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

I have a Leaf which at 120 kph is actually doing onlyv108 kph GPS. Early on I was wondering why trucks were overtaking me when I was absolutely flying along 100kph!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

Why not? You increase your speed to what is actually 70mph, not just what the speedo says, and then you add 10% plus 2mph. If you do 70mph speedometer speed in the UK everyone flys past you even with constant speed cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yeah, there's no official tolerance. I do remember though that maybe five or more years ago, a journalist in the local paper here (Wexford) tracked the speeding cases that ended up in the local District Courts over the course of a year or more. He found no cases where the speed in question was less than 6 km/h above the limit, so for example:

• for 50 km/h zones, no cases in court for speeds between 51 and 55 km/h
    • for 80 km/h zones, no cases in court for speeds between 81 and 86 km/h
    • for 100 km/h zones, no cases in court for speeds between 101 and 106 km/h

Of course, all very unofficial, and relating only to cases that ended up in court after the FPNs weren't paid. Possible that FPNs were issued for speeds like 105 km/h in a 100 km/h zone, but were paid by the driver rather than going to court.

Unfortunately, can't find the piece online. It was a number of years ago, finding something specific in their online archive is not the easiest to achieve for a farily general term like "speed limit", and much of it is behind a paywall as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

There is a judge sitting in the Killmallock, Co. Limerick Court who regularly dismisses cases of people caught doing 59 in a 50 kph (18% above limit) zone on the grounds of it being within the margin of error. However, she doesn't seem to apply the same margin as a percentage of the speed limit when it comes to those exceeding the 80,100 or 120 kph limits.

Advertisement