Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[25 Oct-5 Nov] mild, sometimes windy and wet, weather with potential for disruptive rainfalls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The rain near Rathdrum now is unreal, absolutely bucketing down the past 30 minutes or so after being mostly dry all day. Heaviest I can remember here for sure, no instrumentation unfortunately to measure it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

There's so much warmth to the South and East that moisture is between both cooler air to the West and much warmer temperatures over Europe.

November will be an above normal month temperature wise and potentially rainfall wise too. The general consensus is temperatures much above normal in the middle third of the month as the heat in Europe comes North after lots of rain at the start.

I think it will be a near record breaking warm November. Definitely top 5 but charts could flip in the next few days as has happened previous occasions but with all that warmth over Europe I think the odds of a normal or cold November are very low.

By the end of the month it may turn colder. But who knows. Just collating long range forecasts I'm seeing on twitter.

Got 9mm of rain in Sligo today but it was light long lasting stuff. Was meant to be gone by 4pm but still spitting. It was far more Westerly than UK Met office forecast and slightly more Westerly than Met Eireann predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful still night in Galway. I think we might get fog. The pumpkins this year look amazing - neighbours upping the stakes!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I waited a long time to reach where I longed to be! The silence is a healing in itself. Not a sound now. And I am happy not to have music etc. Nirvana it is not... but I hated town life and came to Ireland from Orkney... There will not be a sound now until the gale hits. sheer bliss.. Not a whisper of noise. Nearest neighbour is five fields away..

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Another 16mm here today near Tralee ,on top of 15mm from yesterday, mostly from this morning to early afternoon, seeing water stand where I haven't seen it in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tomorrow it will become very windy around daybreak and these winds will gradually spread over most of the country during the morning, peaking around 10:00 in the midlands and 11:00 in Dublin. Peak gusts of around 110 km/hr can be expected with minor damage at most. Heavy rain showers will accompany this front and linger for a while after it passes. Western counties could see 20-35 mm, a little less further east.

Another windy and wet interval then looms for the weekend and the thread title basically could be extended quite some time but maybe we will discuss any storms after Thursday 3rd comes and goes in a new or at least back to the regular thread format. Rainfalls are still looking quite prodigious for western counties over the following two weeks with 160-180 mm shown accumulating from today in some parts of Mayo and west Munster. A considerably smaller accumulation is shown for the east, only 40 mm which is probably around average for 16 days in November there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

the loud heavy rain has just hit here. What a din. Smashing against the wndows

4.30 am

West mayo offshore

It feels cooler? And these sudden deluges... As if a tap was being turned ON and OFF. The sun is trying to break through.. The ferry went over with the shoppers. It is an open curragh so I hope they missed the showers...Been there and got soaked...

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

Torrential rain and wind just ripped through Waterford City. Wouldn't be surprised if it took down tree's. Looks to be heading north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Looking at it on the radar is funny it's swirling almost like a mini storm. It's coming my direction (South Wicklow) will post if there's anything like that here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gorey seems to have got badly flooded this evening, any reports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Muinteoir2018

Yes badly hit. Bypass has huge amount of lying water. Lots of arwas of town inaccessible or barely accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The worst weather I have ever seen hit the area. No exception.

Having local knowledge of the back roads helped me, but there were areas around the town that got flooded that generally wouldn't. I believe a few premises got hit too.

I got caught in a queue coming off the bypass for about 30 mins, but that's mild compared to some other people.

I'm usual a skeptic for these weather warnings, and roll my eyes at the storm naming, but that was insane and feel Met missed a trick putting out a proper warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Unreal footage of floods in SE. Even parts of M11 closed now. The precip just keeps swirling down those parts. No rain Meath today. Feeling cold now 7⁰.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Guess when the low went through southern Laois?

Thankfully avoided pretty much all the rain, 0.2mm in the AWS - only a drizzle in the end - luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Surprised not to see any mention here of the tornado reported from Wexford:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Really was an awful spell of torrential rain from 11am to 1pm. some of the heaviest i've seen in these parts in many a year. Recorded 11.9mm at the station during that period with a Max Rainfall rate of 177mm/hr at 12.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Between 13.00 and 13.30 yesterday apparently.

How nobody was killed is miraculous really!

Some photos here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057665075/whats-the-weather-like-in-your-area-2/p275#latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I do think if it happened in Salthill or Cork, RTE would have correspondents on the scene. Completely downplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

You guys in Wexford got a real hammering these last couple of days. That tornado had serious power when you look at the destruction it left. Lucky no one lost their lives. I read some livestock were killed. That hook of heavy rain circulating around that little low pressure system today, really concentrated around the southeast with its tail of heavy showery rain along the west also. It just reached as far as south Dublin before moving away leaving a beautiful dry day for me in Meath. Unfortunately there's plenty more rain to come and hat's off yet again to MT for starting this thread. On a separate note, I do enjoy reading Grace's posts, they are so poetic and you can almost visualise being there. You should write a book Grace or some sort of weather memoir. Keep it up, love it.

So just to clarify, the tornado reported was on Wed 2nd correct? I noted the estimated times of 1300h to 1330h. Just wanted to be sure as the discussion during the day was jumping around from that event to the Thursday meso-scale low in the southeast.

I just looked on the met.ie 48 hour radar and can see the squall line feature crossing Wexford. Could somebody perhaps clarify where the tornado damage occurred (relative to some large town if possible, like 24 km northwest of Wexford as a form) ... I also looked on the linked thread and saw the pictures there, to me that looks to be a solid F1 and not a weak tornado which I would consider to be an F0 (F-zero that means).

If the radar were deadly accurate I would guess the storm damage was around 1245.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Hi M.T. The damage was in the Foulksmills area which is around 22k west of Wexford Town.

A bit late from Met Eireann with the advisory but anyway

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Further rainfall this weekend and next week will cause localised flooding due to waterlogged soils and high river levels.

Valid: 12:46 Friday 04/11/2022 to 23:00 Friday 11/11/2022

Issued: 12:46 Friday 04/11/2022

Updated: 13:46 Friday 04/11/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

The rain that passed through Waterford City on Thursday the 3rd seemed far worse than anything from the previous day.

Remnants of Hurricane Martin have drifted east to 20W now, pressure has risen from 945 mb a few days ago to 970 mb at 18z, but this is still a well-organized little disturbance and will drift through Donegal Bay on its way to extinction northwest of Scotland to southeast of Iceland. Expect several hours of winds in the 70-110 km/hr in exposed locations. This feature will be followed by another low that sheared off Martin earlier and that one will be close to Belmullet by Monday. The thread title expires soon but this weather goes on and on.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A spell of very strong and gusty southerly winds will track eastwards on Monday. Damaging gusts of up to 110 km/h are possible.

Valid: 11:00 Monday 07/11/2022 to 21:00 Monday 07/11/2022

Has to be said that rainfalls in the past week (30 Oct to 5 Nov) were not cataclysmic at any regular reporting stations, although generally in the range of 150 to 267 per cent. The highest total was 106.0 mm at Valentia which was 267% of normal, an anomaly equalled by Roches Point. In the same interval, Dublin had only 15.7 mm which was 90% of their average. Malin Head while at 25 mm had 79%, the lowest anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We're well used to the rain in kerry. Nothing a decent pair of wellies won't handle 😁

Advertisement