Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revisiting the ID.3 Concept from 2017

Options
  • 24-10-2022 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

REVIEW VIDEO.....

VW ID Concept

Original design & model of the I.D 3 shown at a motor show in France back in 2016,

To me this design is much better then the ID 3 model that were released,car look so much better in the triple white colourway

Headlights & taillights look better with the Electric ones installed,makes it look more futuristic, rims even looks better with that blue trim, interior & dash much better nicer then what's inside the I.D 3.

So finally this model is getting released in 2023 for buyers.

Was in contact early this year with WV Europe and asked would this car even be brought to the market in which the team informed me there was no information on it.

Thoughts on the car lads, and would you buy one?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SPwr1990

Been in a fair few I.D 5's that thing just floats for its size, barely even hear the engine on it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not really sure where you're going with this, the concept ID was released as the ID.3 2 years ago

It's due a facelift in 2023 but I'm not sure it'll be much closer to the concept vehicle, after all a lot of the features of the concept weren't road legal (notice the missing wing mirrors 😁)

I think the main changes were going to be the interior, trying to fix some of the complaints about the quality of materials and such

It'll still be the same MEB platform underneath however, I don't think that's due an update until 2025 when the SSP platform gets released

So in terms of driving experience, it'll be very similar to the ID.5 you were sitting in

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

after all a lot of the features of the concept weren't road legal (notice the missing wing mirrors 😁)

This may seem a peculiar point to pick out from your post, but I wouldn't assume that the apparent lack of mirrors on that concept would render it not road legal. Look at the Honda E, which also has no physical mirrors, instead using cameras to implement a digital "mirror" system and which is on the road here today. By the looks of the video and images posted above the I.D. Concept had a similar facility in the small "fins" in front of the doors.

That said, the differences between the above concept and the I.D.3 are similar enough to those between the concept I.D. Buzz that I wouldn't necessarily expect something much closer to the Concept on the road any time toon.

True, they could use cameras, although I'm not sure VW has is capable of hitting the price point they'd need for a camera system

The cars are also pretty efficient without them, so they're probably not going to bother except for the expensive brands

As I recall the concept had some pretty nifty features like sliding rear doors. It would be cool if they introduced those since they can be a lot easier for getting kids into child seats in a car park

It also stops older kids from slamming the rear door into the car beside you 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

VW can barely put out the current model ID3 in anything approaching quantity so adding this to the line-up is a little odd IMO. If they do release this, it will be a "special" model and probably priced at €10k above the top spec ID3 anyway, so will only be bought by die-hards or people with too much money in their pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Concept cars are just that, developed with a blank cheque, when it comes to industrialization of a concept to make business sense thats when to he concept actually turns into what you see in the current ID3.

Also concepts looks at future tech (lighting for example in this car). Top end premium cars will have this first and can take 4/5 years then to make to "standard" cars and cost effective for mass production.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So, this thread is just the 2017 concept that became the ID.3?

No prefer this models design colourway and body not a fan of the ID.3, looks more electric style car reclining steering wheel, two tone rims, LED headlights & taillights,they should have added alot of features now that they had the time to work on it hope this does hit the market

That honda E I was excited for when it first was shown it is nice in white, the black model is horrible but too small of a car 🤢

ID.4 seems to be the one to get with VW current lineup....

Post edited by SPwr1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

NAA if you don't see those lights in top end premium brands like BMW and Mercedes now you won't see them in standards cars for a long time.

OEM don't makes these features when it comes to manufacturing these they'll be a degree driven by the suppliers roadmap and capabilities and if it's feasible to do at a cost that makes business sense.

Car companies don't make any of that stuff they outsource the components and put it together on a production line.

That sort of lighting is really only at concept stage with suppliers long ways off bog standard spec of an ID3

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This is the ID.3, it's not a brand-new car. Concept models always go through some refinement which usually involves simplifying the design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

Your second (Side view) pic of the concept car, about 5 years ago is very similar to the actual production car apart from the rear doors. And a few trim bits on wheels etc.

The ID.3 is due a refresh soon, they're going back to physical buttons on the steering wheel in the refreshed Golf, I'd expect them to do the same in the ID.3.

I actually don't mind the steering wheel buttons on the ID cars, they've a nice haptic feedback system

The touch sliders on the infotainment however are in dire need of some user feedback and backlighting

they look sweet! nice find & idea

Anybody driven or own any VW IDs in the collection...

How long to charge these?

Upcoming lineup from VW to extend the ID Brand,

which model are you excited for the most...

ID LIFE looks decent, made from another concept design at the (France show 5yrs ago)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well that’s a really positive step away from the haptic rubbish that’s taken over.

I’m pretty sure the Honda e has cameras for wing mirrors in top spec here. Convinced there is a few others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

It's crazy to think at motorway speeds wing mirrors can reduce drag/efficency by over 5%

Physical wing mirrors are a good idea though. Only reason for removing them is to reduce drag. Even the camera versions still have a wing mirror camera of sorts.

I've an ID.4 myself, time to charge at home is one sleep. Time to charge on the road is one coffee 😁

All the ID models have their own dedicated threads, so if you're thinking of one then I'd recommend posting in one of those threads

So I think the ID.Life concept got axed in its current form, they're probably going to drift a bit closer to the current ID cars.

I expect we'll be looking at an ID.2 (Polo) and ID.1 (Up) models and probably SUV variants, like an ID.3X (T-Roc, aka Sadness) and ID.2X (T-Cross, aka Despair)

As you can tell I'm not a fan of the baby SUVs, but they might make a bit more sense as an EV with more space for the passengers and boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

All Honda e models have the cameras, it’s the only car here where they’re standard currently. I have one, they work well, the Honda camera and screen placement is prob the best out there.

You can get them on the Audi e-tron for a handsome fee. Coming soon on the Ioniq 5 I believe. Lexus ES in Japan can option them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Any ideas when the ID.2 is due for release? Any estimations of price point?

• Advertisement

2025 supposedly

~€25k in Germany... supposedly 😁

That's not to say that VW won't be able to produce a cheap EV by then. I'm just not convinced they'll want to considering they're seeing very high demand for the higher priced models

Why sell a car for €25k when you can sell effectively the same car for €35k

In any case, I think you'll be looking at €30k+ here when it becomes available.

One great trick VW pulled with the ID.3 was to say there's a smaller battery version, and then just stop taking orders for it. I could see them doing something similar here

Like most manufacturers VW have been supply constrained this year, you'd have to be a be a complete business muppet to sell lower margin vehicles when the market is willing to buy all the higher margin ones you can make. Smaller batteries and smaller cars will come about either when the market for the expensive models is exhausted or the cost of production can be lowered to the point you make a higher margin on a Polo sized car.

Lucky sod, ID4 the best choice at the moment with VW, alot of extra room in it

Thanks, it's honestly the best car I've driven (not exactly the greatest lineup I'll admit, Toyota Auris and Nissan Leaf24)

If you're thinking about getting one then I'd recommend talking to your local dealership. There's cancelled orders coming up all the time and if you're in the right place at the right time you can get one, if you're willing to be flexible on what colour and options you get

There's one guy on the ID.4 forum who literally walked into his dealership 2 weeks ago and put a deposit down then and there. He got his car delivered last weekend

This, 100%

If you can sell a car for €45k at a huge margin, then why sell one for €25k at a minimal profit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Considering a bottom of the range polo is ~23,5k the 25kish isn't too bad.

The word "supposedly" was key 😉

Like I said, there's a difference between VW being able to produce a €25k car and actually selling €25k cars en mass

Also, that's the price in Germany, they don't have VRT and VAT is lower. They also have higher subsidies. So expect around €30k here

They're getting Skoda to build the smaller MEB platform which will be the base of the ID.2, so they'll realise some savings there.

And they're probably going to use LiFePo cells which are cheaper but don't have the same performance. Tesla seems to do fine with them though so that should be grand

I imagine they're going to try and start selling a lot of subscription services at that price range. Data connectivity, satnav, travel assist, power and charging speeds can all be software controlled and it's possible they could be unlocked after purchase

However, nothing is set in stone yet and the ID.2 or whatever it'll be called hasn't been announced yet

Oh it's a beaut, been in a few taxis that have them, first time I got in, given the size I was looking round non stop, trying to figure out why there's no sound off the engine, then why it's feels like its floating on the road, 😂

Minute i got out I was like that's def a car to buy, extra space in it is perfect given its a SUV,only car I have considered buying being a first time buyer,

Taxi drivers get 10'000 off trading in the old car,was wonderin why so many were popping up with them,

Not interested in the ID3, if I was buy that I'd try to repaint it and such to look like the concept model above,I'd opt to get the ID4

Size is perfect on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Real cars rarely look like the concept cars, they're usually unrealistic futuristic nonsense, this one is actually fairly close to the real thing. Very interested to see the facelift especially as they're revamping the interior. I wasn't fond of the front end either.

• Advertisement

ID3 GTX VW - 2023 COMING SOON

Close enough to the 2017 concept design

Volkswagen ID.3 will get a new variant, namely the GTX which is the production version of the VW ID.X Concept in 2023.

For information, the Volkswagen ID.3 debuted in September 2019, which means next year it will be four years old. And, it’s the right time to refresh the product.

According to Volkswagen spokesman, Martin Hube confirmed that the arrival of the VW ID.3 GTX is accompanied by increased performance and all-wheel drive.

See also: Gorgeous render pictures show the Volkswagen ID.Buzz electric pickup truck concept

“Of course, the project is in progress. For the VW ID.3 facelift, we’re going to get some really interesting details. We also hope to provide enhanced performance and all-wheel drive to meet customer demands,” said Hube.

The Volkswagen ID.3 GTX itself was given the green light for production in September 2021, months after VW CEO Ralf Brandstätter revealed the ID.X concept in a social media post. Where, the electric car promises power of 329 hp.

This model will share the dual electric motors of the VW ID.4 GTX and ID.5 GTX, which have a combined 295 hp and 77 kWh of battery capacity. This level of power will place the VW ID3.X between the Golf GTI and Golf R.

See also: Volkswagen EVs have sold out in Europe and US for 2022

Due to its lower weight, smaller body and more aerodynamics, the electric hatchback will be slightly faster and more agile than the VW electric SUV, which offers 0-100 kph in 6.2 and 6.3 seconds, respectively.

In addition, the ID.3 GTX is also expected to have stronger brakes and model-specific chassis settings to provide a more dynamic driving experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement