Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP receptionist

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Eminently sensible stuff, but being honest I’d still defer to the default of explaining in euphemisms to avoid being vulgar 😂 I know they’ve heard it all before, but I’m not used to explaining things like that in any graphic detail 😖

Can be problematic alright when I was in hospital and I explained to the nurse I needed to use the bathroom. I thought she’d gone off to get a walker or something, she came back with a catheter tube! I abandoned my manners at that point and asked her where did she think she was going with that? 😳

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In your opinion, which is obviously not one shared by the op’s clinic, and as it is their policy which patients must follow, if you aren’t happy, move on to another clinic.

I just re-read the op, the op doesn’t state whether her daughter did inform the receptionist what the issue was when she rang, given that the second receptionist told her she would have got an appointment sooner if the mother had explained the problem, I suspect she did.

If nothing else, this thread shows the problems faced by medical receptionists dealing with the public.

😂 I think you must have said “Nurse, I’m not able to use the bathroom” (you meaning “I’m not easily able to get as far as the bathroom”), nurse thinks to herself there have been failed attempts, so to speak, and approaches with a liquid solution to the perceived problem 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Until I recently moved to another location, I was able to book an appointment with my local GP practice via their website. You could choose the time and your preferred doctor, and get instant confirmation. It was great. No need to worry about calling and speaking to a receptionist. It was especially handy if you became ill during the night and you could check to see if there were any available appointments in the morning. Online GP booking seems to be very rare in Dublin and presumably the rest of the country. Surprised it isn't more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very true. From my experience Dentists seem to have far better systems in place.

Perhaps it's because GPs have found it very hard to retain younger doctors and staff in general. Interesting observation.

• Advertisement

I have told receptionist s i won't discuss medical issues with receptionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have two practices where I live. NB I only ever phone ,,At one the reception staff are far less than courteous or helpful ... I started emailing only to dilute it!)

At the other the receptionist is courteous and helpful on the phone.

I have admitted I am... prejudiced after over 50 years of dragons in the UK .... But the difference is striking.

Thankfully I am now registered with the practice with the courteous receptionist.

The receptionists are a vital point of contact for folk seeking medical care. They have a very real duty of care to US.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your last sentence should read "shows the problems faced by the public dealing with medical receptionists" and shows the.... overweening bias that would not be tolerated in any other consumer situation. Old saying among nurses in the UK.. "What is the difference between God and a doctor? God doesnt think he;s a doctor". We are the consumers. Receptionists are just that. To facilitate our hassle free access to medical care - which of course most in ireland pay for, Not to assess or filter. in such personal, painful and potentially dangerous situations. I am sure the GPs are more than capable of deciding who they see. Without risking endangering vulnerable patients by leaving what is essentially medical diagnosis to clerical staff. In the Uk we were indoctrinated not to "bother the doctor " by some clerical staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Patients are not consumers, the receptionist is not there to provide you with what you think should be hassle free access to medical care, they are there to organise the appointment list as per GP instruction.

Advertisement