Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom of view but ...

Options
  • 21-10-2022 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭

Generally people will accept people are free to believe what they want but I would say most people would agree there are certain views that just don't warrant any acceptance and can be dismissed straight away.

Personally

Flat earth theories (pretty sure most that say it really don't believe it just say it to wind people up)

WWII Holocaust deniers

Evolution deniers

Should never be given any kind of discussion with these people as these things never need to be debated again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

99.99% of conspiracy theorists, end times/rapturists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think anyone who even questions the absolute right to freedom of speech should be completely deplatformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You are free to say what you want but there is no freedom of consequences. Otherwise people can say whatever they want with impunity. Also do not forget its a too way street you are free to say what you want but the other person is free to say what they thing of what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Get right straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Up until a couple of years ago I would have said climate change deniers. That was before I posted on Boards, where I saw it is full of dopey posters who urge you to "question the narrative" about climate change and think they're experts on environmental sciences because they work in a garage.

The same with covid during the pandemic. I never thought I would see the day where science-denial and people debating vaccines would come anywhere close to mainstream but there we were not too long ago.

It's moments like those I wish I wasn't utterly content in my personal life, so that I would watch a tidal wave of pestilence wipe everyone out (including myself) with glee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Idiots who believe in non-existent deities and take great offence when you point out that there’s no proof ever of them being real.

And most of them know next to nothing about their cult’s big book.

Yet our constitution has so much crap in it about “God” and “the Holy Spirit”.

Cringe.

Dude, angry online atheist is so 2012. The vast majority of people couldn’t give a shïte about religion. You “pointing things out” with all the fervour of the Rev Ian Paisley is probably boring as hell to people though. Be careful you don’t turn into the thing you despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is nowhere in the modern world where a person has the absolute right to freedom of speech. You can't walk into a a crowded theater and shout "fire". It is also not the point I raised which is freedom of VIEW.

Some views should never be given a platform or acknowledge as legitimate.

I don't like when people dismiss anyone who supports Brexit or Trump, how they just ascribe a set of beliefs to that person and have no genuine curiosity to understand them.

I've tried explaining to people why I voted for Brexit when I lived in the UK. When you start listing the reasons you can see them nodding in agreement but they still don't seem to process the logical conclusion to those reasons. It's like they just need to believe that all Brexit voters are Daily Mail reading xenophobic little Englanders who just want to stick it to Johnny Foreigner. The caricatures are stuck in the 1980's.

There were a lot of lies with Brexit and Trump. Many of what was said could easily be dismissed as outright lies.

There is no way you have a list pro Brexit that could out weigh the negatives for me to change my mind or that the people voting had a well thought out reasoning. The majority of people don't put that much thought into such decisions. THe main reason being is I know people who voted for Brexit and there reason were the racist views along with a longing for British Empire like power. You may have thougght it out but doesn't mean that is what others do

I will ignore any Trump supporter who thinks there was election fraud at this point as the claims are so easily seen as lies. There is no point in discussing it or entertaining it at all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Your position is just as bad! You say "Should never be given any kind of discussion with these people as these things never need to be debated again"

That's a very absolutist and imho dangerous attitude.

Beware Group Think also.

More sensible folk lie somewhere in between, go with the flow but questioning and never accepting anything as 'truth'.

Some things just come to a point there is nothing to debate anymore. No need to argue just point to the proof and walk away. The earth is a globe there is absolutely no benefit to discussing it any more. People can have their views but things get to a point that there is no way to have an opinion on it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Or the idiots who live in a predominant Christian part of the world expecting that entire societies will adopt their way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Actually the earth is an oblate spheroid or approximates to that shape - you see, there is a point to discussing such matters.

But nothwithstanding this you surely understand than 'canceling' debate even on commonly accepted ideas, is a slippery slope. Where's the point of inflection when something becomes worthy of discussion?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are not free to say what you want, nor should you be. Your rights should should not trump the rights of other people, when you do you can expect that they will curtailed.

The slippery slope is giving equal standing to claims known to be false. No matter how pedantic you want to be you know the discussion is not an accurate descriptive scientific term for a discussion to say "globe" is wrong.

If you don't have anything you just shut down on good for you spending your time listening people talk nonsense. I gave example but you don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To pedant your pedantry saying that the earth is a globe is correct because A globe is a three-dimensional scale model of the Earth or other round body

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think the ‘fire’ thing in the theatre isn’t just freedom of speech gone wrong but it’s certainly impingement of the health and safety of patrons…so I’d reckon that’s the issue as opposed to anything. That person is acting in a way to knowingly and actively endanger people…

i can express the view that Islam is a good religion, the only religion…people could agree or disagree

if I criticise Islam, I’m probably under our current legislation, guilty of hate speech / incitement to hatred. Under Islamic law I could be under a fatwa.

That legislation says “it is an offence to communicate threatening, abusive or insulting material that is intended, or likely to, “stir up” hatred against a group of people because of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation.”

“The communication can be spoken, in writing, broadcast or part of a recording.”

So now it’s against the law to insult people…hey, I could be jailed…. If that’s the creeping standard in society, don’t ever go to a football match. People insult each other en masse for 90 odd minutes. Threatening people because of their religion, no issue with that being illegal… but criticism of religion is a crime… ? ive news for you, criticism doesn’t equal hate.

Any religion, if I literally say..” X religion is a load of hokey bôllocks, full of makey up rubbish that never happened and followed by soft brained, hard of thinking clowns “… not a nice thing to articulate but, hate ? NO a crime ? NO

Certainly insulting but, not a crime, not hate.

I could be arrested… seriously ? freedom of speech is important, this definition of ‘hate’ is so broad and vague. Disagree or dislike does not equal hate, sorry. Freedom of speech should be protected. Because once one right / freedom gets thrown away, by religious, social or political gangsters….. EVERY right we have is then in their scope…

what next, no freedom of assembly, no right to protest ? Because it could be seen as ‘hate speech’ ?

slippery slope…

It is weird how you wrote so much and completely missed what I said. Not about freedom of speech but VIEW. Whatever the reason and situation you do not have freedom of speech in the modern world. Even in your own example you said for safety reasons speech is reasonably restricted for the safety of people. The whole anti vaccination misinformation is practically identical in outcome because people could die and they did with covid.

the real point of the tread was to find out what views people think do not deserve air rather than suggestion banning it more like just ignore it and dismiss it.

I can imagine that this is is how the Bible started.

• Advertisement

No real need to imagine they basically know how the Bible started and it is not much later till people said it was completely literal and that was not as religiously based. I am not suggesting banning any speech just ignoring some opinions as straight nonsense. We do it automatically as is with not accepting outlandish claims as is. Birds not being real proves this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oh dear. Uncomfortable with facts so start making up false claims like “angry”.

I do feel sorry for you.

Rugby,is it safe or not,needn't be debated anymore,it's clearly not suitable for children to play and needs banning off terrestrial TV and before the watershed

No need to feel sorry for me, dude. You just come across as an extremely angry and irritable poster. As I said, very few people care about religion these days, and they don’t need some 2010 era flying spaghetti monster, The God Delusion, Dawkins and Harris style bore ranting at them about it. That stuff has moved on. Time to take up a new cause or hobby. Maybe meditation for you?

Advertisement