Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Transactions on website - payee replaced with generic code

Options
  • 21-10-2022 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I was recently in the UK, and made some payments using my debit card.

On my statement, instead of naming the payee, their name has been replaced with a generic code e.g. C0910GB which I assume is based on the transaction date.

This makes it virtually impossible to check if the transactions are correct. Is this an error or what ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.

When you make a card payment in another currency we are obliged to provide you with the date, currency and rate applied when the transaction has been fully processed. The retailer's name will show on the description while the payment is pending. If you need to check the retailer details on a fully processed payment you can do this via Send us a Message on the Services tab or with our Live Chat Team at boi.com/chat

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Hi Tara,

Thanks for the reply.

However, I think that's completely impractical - surely I can't be expected to "Send a Message" for each transaction abroad for checking purposes. Why can't the retailer name just be left on the transaction if it's available during processing ? This doesn't conflict with the requirement to show the other details you mention. In addition, there are multiple other small charges on my statement - I guess these relate to foreign currency charges - but there's no way to relate them back to the actual payment.

Thanks for getting back to us. We'll ensure to pass on your feedback in relation to this. Just to add, you should also receive a text notification when you make a cross border card payment. The notification will provide the date, amount, rate and retailer's name and these are sent once per calendar month you can find more information on this here.

In relation to charges, when you use your card to pay in another currency a cross border handling fee will apply. The description will include the amount and date so you can match this up to the transaction it relates to.

Thanks

Tara

Hi Tara,

where does the description appear ? None of the transactions has a description (or a "view details" option).

Regarding the text notification - does this mean if I make 10 transactions I will get 10 notifications during the calendar month ?

The description will be beside the debit and should show, the currency the charge relates to, the date of the transaction and amount.

The Bank is required to send holders of personal Debit cards or personal Credit cards a message when the cardholder uses the card to complete certain transactions involving a currency exchange in a non-euro EEA currency.

Thanks

Tara

• Advertisement

There is an amount and rate beside the main transaction (with a generic unidentified retailer, as mentioned) on the statement, but there are also multiple other small charges which are not related to anything - I guess these might be the cross border handling fees - but they are not described, or linked to any other transaction.

Our live chat team can certainly help with matching these against the transaction each charge relates to so going forward it will be easier to do this yourself.

Thanks

Tara

Advertisement