Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's shaving: Blade or Electric...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same blade. Constantly afraid they'll pull it from the market as any other one I've ever tried ripped the face off me. Tried an electric about 20 years ago but was nowhere near close enough for me.

Was years hacking lumps out of my face until I evolved a method involving shaving oil and wetting my face under the shower beforehand. Still get minor nicks but rarely reach the Homer stage anymore..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wet shave every morning - only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I remember being told that electric ones are bad for your skin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Isn't shaving just.. oil?

I tried one years back, but nah. I stick to generic shaving foam. Don't see a problem with it.

I shave every two day, and at weekends leave it to the third.

Less shaving is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Feather Stainless razor with Feather DE blades, Mitchells Wool Fat soap and a Simpson brush... buy once buy right!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When I had to shave, it was a Mach5 or whatever that 5 bladed one was. As I was getting sick of shaving every day I had to work (most), I eventually got an electric one out of sheer laziness. The good feeling from shaving I used to get was gone due to it being a daily task. Eventually quit the job and haven't shaved since. Have a nice bushy ginger beard which I maintain with oils and balms, and specific shampoo and conditioner. I do like a soft beard, but it's also "wild", insofar as I don't shape it. It is a beard. It is my beard.

We need more beards. But we definitely don't need more fashionable beards. Nothing worse than a perfectly pruned fashionable beard. You know it was grown specifically for fashion, not for the fun.

I use a Gillette Super Speed Y2 (which was made in Q2 of 1953, when I was born) Feather double edge blades and Arko shaving soap applied with an Edwin Jagger badger hair brush. The best start to the day.

I was given a double edged razor for Christmas a few years back. The blades are cheap as chips and you get an extremely close shave. Nicked myself once or twice at the start, but now it’s just as routine as shaving with a Mach etc.

Also use that Proraso pre shave cream. Again, it’s cheap as chips. Don’t bother anymore with the brush and soap thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I use a RazorPit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/RazorPit-Original-Sharpener-Travel-Sharpens/dp/B004W2UMDW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1FOKAZYII8HCN&keywords=razor+sharpener&qid=1666421049&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjg1IiwicXNhIjoiMy40MSIsInFzcCI6IjIuOTYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=razor+shar%2Caps%2C58&sr=8-5

I get about 2 to 2.5 months out of a Mach 3 blade. I used to spend a fortune on blades, my skin is quite sensitive and after 2-3 uses they would start to cut and nick me. But using the sharpener stops all that.

It's amazing and I'm not sure why they are not a standard thing for everyone - you will literally save 100's of euros if you are using disposable razor blades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I haven’t used a blade in couple of years. I have a Philips beard trimmer that does my head and chin and I have a Philips shaver too for places I want a tighter shave such as the upper neck.

If I let the stubble grow too long a quick run over with the trimmer shortens it enough for a tight shave with the shaver. I haven’t cut myself at all since I stopped using the razor blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I use a Wahl trimmer with no guard on and just hover around the beard taking down any long bits, then I use a straight razor for the neck and line up the cheeks.

Probably have around 30 or more straight razors of various ages, from New to 200+ years old. I like buying them second hand and cleaning them up in my spare time.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to using the straight razor so I mostly just splash my face with some hot water and shave off that but when I'm in a pampering mood I will use some truefitt & hill 1805 shaving soap Or Dr Harris almond shaving soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I've used Gillette Mach 3 blades for many years. No issues. Generally I just shave on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Use soap & water rather than shaving foam.

I have tried electric razors in past - not effective for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wet shave with a blade. Gilette. On my face and, since Covid, on my head. Save a small fortune not going to the barbers.

Never had a good experience with an electric razor. They tend to leave my face looking like beetroot and feeling like I've spent a week on the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Edwin Jager DE razor, shaving brush and rotate between Taylor’s cedarwood and sandalwood cream. A little goes a long way. Bulk buy the blades, I currently have Muhle ones, they worked out at under 15 cent a blade and I’d get 3 shaves easily out of each blade and that includes my head. Initial outlay was around €80 iirc but the payback is quick and it’s a handy Christmas/birthday gift for me from the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was getting a great shave with the Lidl Shark until they stopped supplying the blades for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

DE shaving is the way to go. Made the change years ago and would never go back to those poxy mach3's or whatever they are these days....mach26's???

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I have a similar way of doing it. But still use blade.

I usually wet shave on Mondays and Wednesdays. So Sunday night after a few days growth I'll give it a run over with the Beard trimmer to take off the heavy stuff. Monday morning after shower wet shave with Lidl 5 blade razor. Find it does the job grand. Tuesday don't bother with shave. Wed wet shave again, then as I WFH Friday I don't bother again until Sunday night with the trimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

They replaced it with a different version. I used both and the new version is on par with the Shark one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Double edge blades. got a hundred for 10 euros over a year ago. i am on the last blade now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I use the Wilkinson Sword soap bowl from Boots with a very good brush.

Soap last for months and is cheap. Also, I'm guessing it's better for the environment than cans/aerosols/foam.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

That was Total Shaving solution, it's now Defacto.

A member on here pointed me to Defacto after I mentioned total shaving solution was gone.

It's no fun in the eyes 😭

I should have read the rest of the thread, it was already mentioned, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I used to use a large Bowie knife designed by Gil Hibben, now I have a more modern Dietmar Pohl designed one called the MK9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meathman1225

Blade with extremelly hot water for a clean shave. Elec shaver if you maintaining a look of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I use a safety razor most of the time, first few times I had a few nicks. But I fly through it now.

I use feather blades, badger brush and Taylor of old Bond street shaving cream.

I use a Gillette pro glide on my nuts.

Tip for ye.

I use a rectangle length of dry denim to sharpen my Gillette blades, just rub the blade along it upwards. Not too rough just enough not to rub off that sticky strip. It gives it some extra life. You can see the blade edges glisten....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

electric… just as a pure habit since I was 16 or whatever and my dad bought me one.

I’ve a Philips Series 3000 wet or dry electric razor which I got about 14 months ago and it’s incredible how little effort you need to put in to get an immaculately clean shave…just need to run it over the skin rather then press or pressurise the skin…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Have a similar one myself, I have load's of spare blades as I opted into an Amazon thing and I get one in the post every so many months.

I must opt out of that.

I don't need that many blades...

Great when I am in a hurry, moisturizer after is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

think that was me! .. love love love Defacto Shaving Oil and with DE blades .. bought a box of Derby 100 blades for 12 euros 4 years ago .. and still loads left, maybe get another 4 years out of them!! such a great shave out of that combination .. still get the odd nick .. but not as much as a blood bath as before!!! LOL

Have introduced my 14 year old son to them .. going to save him a fortune!

• Advertisement

Thanks Scarlet42, owe you a beer.

I'd be teriffied to use the DE blades.

I remember as a kid the uncles coming out of the bathroom on a Sat evening getting ready for the pub with dots of tissue paper covered in blood all over them and said NOPE not a chance in hell.

Advertisement