Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst Cars/Engines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Is that 2.2 diesel in the mazda 6 similar to what you'd get in some ford's or Jaguars? Thought madza was owned by Ford at a stage. My neighbour has a 2012 2.2 liter diesel jag...x something.. Lovely car but I'd be wary of it too

Had an opel cdti combo, dismal engine in it. Timing chain stretched and snapped on it. Thankfully it was a work van. Id never buy a diesel opel.

Had a 2.0 d4d corolla work van before, thought they were a good engine. Had a few 1.9tdi vw's and audis in the family, and they were reliable engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BK5

Most makes have had a model that was dodgy or had something weak or unreliable in them but Opel must take the prize for having the highest percentage of dog **** in what they make? Especially in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Those Corolla 1.4 diesel, gearboxes like chocolate. As they say,a soft aul gearbox.

I probably drove the ring out of her, I do a lot of mileage.

Had one for a few years and the gearbox went twice. Changed to a new 2.0 litre Passat estate, it's way more economical and it's like a tip inside. I keep up with maintenance services etc, but an absolute mucker. You have to wipe your feet when you come out. Smells like a cross between a fish monger's, 80's vegetable shop, and seaweed.....

Moss growing on the side of the mirror, spiders web there most mornings on the mirror too. It's only two years old. I'll give her an expensive valet before I change her in another two years. Nobody will know the difference. Definitely lived in that's for sure. A car needs character, and good Feng shui 😂👍

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

That's depressing reading.

Were the 1.7 diesel Hyundai i40 engines problematic? Was looking at a kia optima lately and I think it shares the same 1.7engine as the i40

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My worst experiences driving modern cars have all been 1.0 TSI VWs, but I don't think it has any real reliability issues. Just overly big cars with a tiny engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Knew a guy in Shannon year's ago during the 80's that managed to put a small engine in a jaguar. Don't ask me how he did it. But he wasn't fooling anyone lol

Back then people could get away with fiddling with all kinds of skullduggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

The problem with the isuzu engine was tge seals on the injectors would fail and flood tge engine with diesel causing the engine to basically rev itself to death

To be fair to isuzu they stood by the engine . I know lads with 10 /12 year old troopers at the time that had injectors and engines replaced FOC .

Then they did the scrappage scheme to get them off the road.

The nissan navara with the chassis cracking /snapping due to the chassis rotting from the inside out was another disaster but to be fair to nissan they seem to be doing their best to fix it , navaras being sent to spain to be repaired, bought back or a good trade for a new one. I believe the same issue was with the pathfinders as well

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The 1.6 diesel Peugeot Ford Volvo engine has a woeful reputation...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Pathfinder is almost certainly on same chassis as Navara.....

Effectively an SUV version of the pick up.

Im right in thinking that these Navaras were an old school separate chassis with body mounted on top?????.

Like old Land Rover Defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

There'd be certainly more fellas on here that know more about it but as I understand it the jag XF engine was reliable up until the new model came out in 2016,same engine in the XE I believe.Was told to stay away from both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am driving a ten year old 1.2TSi octavia, and funny enough less than 24 hours before the NCT last month, the engine went to pot, but thankfully a quick swap of coil pack and leads sorted it. wasn't firing on cylinder 3.

worst car i've driven was probably a daewoo matiz. heap of junk, the funniest issue was that the seat position mechanism used a cable about the same gauge as a bicycle brake cable. when it broke, the seat wouldn't anchor in place; so when you accelerated, the seat slid back and lifted your foot off the accelerator; and when you hit the brakes, the seat would slide forward and bury your foot on the brake pedal.

The very worst car I ever drove in my life was an Opel Corsa, hired from Donegal Airport about 2017. It was one of those horrible types of automatics that Opel produced which throw you out of seat when engaging new gear. Had experienced similar in an Astra but it wasn’t *quite* as bad as the Corsa. The car couldn’t cope with the hilly roads of Donegal And would stop at certain peaks, and to steer it around any kind of bend required several turns of the very loose feeling steering wheel. It was the most disconcerting machine I ever drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think engine when it was in the X Type/XF would have been PSA sourced/Co-developed. PSA also did the 2.7 6 pot.

The Mazda diesel is unrelated, thank god.

The dreaded Easytronic, see also Toyota Multimode/MMT/MM, Ford Durashift EST, Peugeot ESG, SMART Softouch and Honda i-Shift for the same flawed concept.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

By the time this thread ends every car on the planet will get a mention.

Cars that won’t get mentioned:

Any hybrid Toyota or Lexus, unless someone moans about the CVT gearbox not being nice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i did end up driving an opel mokka in about 2015 (hired from bristol airport) and the stop/start system on the car was a nightmare. it cut the engine out on me several times while shifting gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is this troublesome cars or cars we hate ?

I bought a VW Jetta for tiny money a few weeks back for the Mrs ,it's a temporary get around, absolutely personality free, hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm amazed the Insignia hasn't got a mention yet. Dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I think they were nicknamed Dacia "Rusters". They were made in India I think and the issue was rectified when production moved to Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

My brother had one for about 10 years and done mega miles in it and it never had one issue. I always find it funny the variance in experience with certain models.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That engine is absolutely fine once it's meticulously maintained. Which is not something a lot of people in this country are prone to doing, hence problem...but shur it must be the engine 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It was in the majority of Ford Focus and many mondeo diesels for years ,DPF was prone to problems but a very good Peugeot engine mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, that 1.6 and the 2.0 variant were great engine. The aul lad has 500k on his 407 2.0 with no issues (regular maintenance aside)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just remembered a hire from there - got given a Ford Galaxy auto, second gen so looking up it was a six speed auto. Felt like a three speed on the roads around there as I think it never got to fourth!

Unsuited to the roads rather than being entirely crap, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In general land rover are **** heaps, I know the service manager in the local dealership and they have crates on new engines in stock consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I've just read up on that Ingenuim engine issue and it seems related to incomplete regeneration cycles causing oil dilution by diesel (interesting read by the way).

The diluted oil is detected correctly and the service light will come on, but because it may be before the recommended service interval it may be ignored by the driver to their ultimate cost to themselves and JLR's reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BK5

That reminds me of when my wife's brother worked in a large Renault dealership and not one mechanic in the place had a Renault as their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Sure you weren't reading up about the mazda 2.2 diesel engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The 2.2 Mazda Diesel. I'll try a trash it at any available opportunity.

Ours died after 7.5 years and wrote off our car. And had already had a carbon clear out from Mazda before this. Total piece if ****.

Advertisement