Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5bn phones to be fcuked into the bin this year

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

"Then Apple came in with their non-user-replaceable batteries and quality nosedived"

So that was another of THEIR great innovations, was it? My old Huawei also has a built-in battery that cannot be replaced and it could really do with a new one. So this was another example of the tech world going "If Apple do it, it must be the right way to go!"

Bollox!

There is NO good reason not to make batteries replaceable, other than boosting phone makers' profits. New batteries recharge more quickly and last longer, thereby putting less pressure on mains. And in these days of soaring energy prices that's a GOOD thing. Phone makers who discourage battery replacement are BAD PEOPLE! Forcing more expense on to customers and wasting power in the process.

People need to have more of a skeptical attitude to Apple's moves. Bill Burr is right about those guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have about 10 old phones in a box at home :(

Most of them were good phones and the only reason they are tgere is tgere is pictures in them I would like to get out but probably nit going to happen so I will just have to recycle them eventually.

As for in the 00s I had no problem paying 4 or 500 hundred for the latest Nokia sim free phone. Ah the good times when I had more money than sense lol. I would not even spend half that on a phone now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just can't for the life of me understand people dropping 1k or more on a phone its insane,

They basically use the same aps as they would on a 200 euro phone, It makes no sense at all ,

I emigrated from rural Ireland in the early 90s to a more "advanced" and "eco conscious" European country. In Ireland throughout the 70s and 80s we had recyclable milk bottles, cardboard boxes for shopping, people fixed stuff if it was broken and thought long and hard about driving anywhere, to the extent if you cycled somewhere 10 miles away to your friend's house and your buddy's mum drove you home you would get a bollocking from your parents for wasting petrol!

In this eco-conscious paradise, everything was wrapped in plastic, the traffic was gridlocked and the waste and disposable mindset was on a massive scale.

We have just morphed into swallowing this pseudo environmental BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd forgotten I even did that jaysus I was buying crap Nokias and sh1t pdas for hundreds back in the Celtic tiger days

Would spend a 100 max now on a Vodafone PAYG and unlock it different times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

The reasons for no *Easily* removable batteries are quoted as:

1. People want ever thinner devices - non replaceable batteries save a few mm not having access doors
    2. People want longer batter life - glued in batteries don't need to be protected with harder shells
    3. Might also saves a few grams in weight - some early phones have screws, catches and hinges and stuff
    4. Sales want to say a device is water proof - only possible if its hard to open

I might accept some of that, to an extent - if you do end up with a lighter phone that has a long lasting battery and waterproof - as long as there is _some_ way to replace the battery...

But completely non user-replaceable batteries like the new IPhone that reduce functionality if you try to, is unforgivable.

“Roll it back”

I suspect a reason may also have been liability / product safety. The replaceable batteries were generally 'Nicad' nickel–cadmium battery packs, which were fairly low risk.

Lithium ion batteries are a pretty risky tech when you consider how dramatically wrong they can go if shorted or damaged.

The main driver I suspect was bad PR and potential legal liability if users could swap out the cells themselves and there were also rather draconian airline rules around them, and some questions raised after a few of those Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fires etc.

They need to get way from Li-ion, it's a really clunky tech from a safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cadmium batteries havent been used in phones since the mid 90s. Nokia used replaceable lithium ion batteries until himmadoo global or whoever took them over

Still much lower power battery packs than what’s in a modern smart phone and there are multiple reports of batteries being replaced with 3rd party stuff and creating issues, including a few fairly dramatic explosions.

They’re also using the lack of a hard case to create custom shapes that fit around other hardware.

There’s some degree of obsolescence being built in, but the when you consider the likes of Apple offer battery replacement for a very long time, just looking at their website and they’ll swap a battery in an iPhone 6 for €55. That’s an 8 year old model - doesn’t really scream that they’re trying to write off old hardware.

Advertisement