Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 280

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'll be too much for Aleksander the great but it's not like either of them have anyone else to fight so might as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

appreciate the skill. As much as im an Olivera fan, Islam had an answer for everything, to drop Olivera like that and then to apply that much pressure with a head and arm choke to someone of Olivera's caliber...

lads can you imagine being someone like paddy the baddy entering the ufc lw division at the moment..... like.......da ****...

I don't think he could beat any ranked fighter, maybe hooker but that's it.

Serious levels in this division, savages like porier, gaethje have cleaned below them, then they got cleaned out by oliveria who just got dominated start to finish by islam.

agreed. i dont think he could beat hooker though.. lw and bw have to be the two most stacked divisions at the moment. Darisuh did himself proud tonight and he is no 6 like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Disappointing result in the main event.

Looked like Islam stunned Charles with that early left hook in the opening seconds and after that, Charles never got going, he was sluggish and looked slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Islam is a beast no question but Charles looked absolutely awful,

He didn't look fluid or fast on his feet & even the first take down he basically feel into Islam

Secnd round his was afraid to engage on his feet. & when he did was far to wild

Also there whole thing of taking big shots and pulling off come back wins can only last so long,

Well done to Islam great win but I don't think he's as good as people are making out

I made comments on here a few months ago people say the LW division is stacked but I think its full of mediocre fighters and not very top tier guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That O'Malley decision was one of the biggest robberies I can recall seeing.

Russians are paranoid at the best of times but Yan must really feel like the judges are out to get him at this point.

The most damning part of it was O' Malley's interview afterwards. He looked shocked. Even when DC teed him up for the title shot call out he didn't go for it and instead said "I dunno, I guess I'll have to go back and watch the tapes and see if I think I'm ready for it".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,638 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always liked O'Malley and even moreso after that. He was shocked he got the decision and he never celebrated it either.

He did very well to get to a decision, he's a lot tougher than I gave him credit for.

It was a robbery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thought O'Malley by far outperformed expectation. He looked very good. I wouldn't really call it a robbery. Could've gone either way for sure, but he did the most damage. Happy enough to see him win rather than Yan for takedowns alone with very little end product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Why do people go so over the top with robbery nonsense.

Yan won round 2, Sean won round 3. That’s not up for debate.

It all comes down to round 1 where Sean was more active on the feet, landed more strikes and the cleaner shots. Yan got a takedown and had about a minute of control time there. It was a very close round which could be scored for either fighter depending on how much weight you give a few strikes vs a takedown.

How can it possibly be a robbery. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sean won round 3. That’s not up for debate.

Yes it is.

I rewatched Yan fight, I must have been as drunk as the judges thinking o malley shaded it. I don't think o malley won a round, daylight robbery that was.

Yan won all three rounds.

As you can see I am the third person to respond and we all say the same thing.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about the Yan fight. Seems to be an anti Russian agenda. Does anyone else think Islam will dominate his division. Apart from the Charles fight he hasn't been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think it was a robbery. I thought it was a very close fight and O' Malley had a good showing, better than I expected.

O' Malley landed way more strikes. Yan scored takedowns but did very little with them.

Could have gone either way but 100% not a robbery in my eyes.

I'm saying it years its a weak division but seems strong because there is no real stand out fighter,

If Islam is anywhere near as good as Khabib he will be champion for a long time,

Round 3 Sean out struck him 40 to 15, There's no way Yan won that round ,

Islam has looked pretty awesome since he came into the UFC and I was calling it and for him to get opportunities for quite a while but you just never know.

A striker like Fiziev could be his undoing.

Mark Madsen is pretty old but he's a greco-roman wrestler and extremely strong and almost impossible to get to the ground. I don't know if at his age he'll ever get a shot but he would be a great challenge for Islam. Ilia Topuris is another unbeaten young fighter but it's too early to tell how good he is but another guy who looks like he has serious power in his fists.

Dariush is the most confusing fighter to me, he never looks that good but somehow finds his way to winning every fight. He's on an eight fight win streak. I think he's going to lose every fight but he keeps winning. I'd imagine he'll be up for a title shot shortly.

It was definitely close but if you score it properly Yan controlled that fight throughout. If Yan is pressuring Sean toward the cage, Sean is losing the fight, had more takedowns and got his fair share of strikes in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes but we also have to look at the rules. Takedowns with zero offence/little damage aren't worth much if the other guy is outstriking you significantly on the feet, same for Octagon control.

Did Yan look in more control? Definitely. Did O' Malley significantly outland him? Also yes.

The judges have to balance it all based on the actual rules. Takedowns with no follow up and control are low criteria compared to strikes, sub attempts, etc. Takedowns with no follow up action or walk-downs aren't going to guarantee you a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭US3

Control isn't what a fight is scored on, that's secondary. Damage is what counts

It's not scored on damage.

Most important is effective striking and grappling.

After that comes effective aggressiveness. That's whose trying to finish the fight more often.

Finally control of the fighting area.

You start out with the first part and if you can't split them you move on to what's in the second line and if you can't split them there either you go with whose moving forward most often.

Advertisement