Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to make the daily standup/morning meeting more fun

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Definitely, needs a strong committee that thinks outside the box in a holistic way that will lead to a paradigm shift in the future of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

SCRUM is like getting battery hens to report each morning on how many eggs they are going to lay today, how many they layed yesterday and why they are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

For whatever reason I clicked on this thread and now I feel a bit dead inside.

Everyday I thank the Lord Jesus that I don't work in an office environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Where do you work, in a church? Agile/Scrum is most suited to software development but there is no reason why agile methods could not make worship more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

"Talking shops" just wow. God help that you might learn something or build a rapport with people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think you are getting any knowledge here to pass any judgment. Each to their own but having worked in construction I know that being around builders with their limited interests is much more unpleasant than getting an update from somebody you work with

Long meetings with no direction, no agenda, no action items don't really provide much value. It also involves pulling people away from productive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

I have two jobs,I'm a care assistant and I also run a small business.

In the care industry without doubt the most empty,unless and pointless time is spent in meetings,luckily I don't have to go often and they stopped during Covid and haven't really reappeared.Kinda proves the point.

In my own business we don't have time for this kind of nonsense,we just bring in the money while we can as its seasonal.

I worked in an office for a year after college and swore I'd never do it again.I had to work in another office 10 years later after arriving home from living abroad.It was the recession and I was happy to be working but it reaffirmed my belief that most of the time was just sh1te talk and a waste of time.

Maybe if we had a dedicated scrum half or whatever it might have been more worth while.

In software development there needs to be communication and collaboration on projects that can be quite complicated. So, some level of meetings are definitely required. The issue is that there are certain types of people that like the sound of their own voice and "busywork" rather than doing actual work. That is the kind of meeting I was talking about. Thankfully, we have a 5 min meeting each afternoon and then just the odd longer meeting with a small number of people who need to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement