Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HGV DRIVERS IRELAND

Options
  • 15-10-2022 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

HI PEOPLE

I'm going to keep it as short as possible. [get the ball rolling so to speak]

working in this sector for a long time now and it always knocks me over to see the high turn over of drivers on the move from one sector to another.

many operators at this stage must be getting worried by hiring inexperenced drivers it costs money in the long run. [road safety]

my main concern is the long hours worked with no family life balance.

it was bad before cost of living. but now its worse than ever.

drivers are working long hours. the regulations are geared to the employer not the employee.

what i would like to see is

1. four day working week
    2. without loss of earning. regulations in place [fast track employee/employer if any underhand stuff]
    3. 3 days off together straight
    4. weekends need special permit to have trucks on the road.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

How does a driver get experience without work, a catch 22 indeed

Long hours, it's always surprising how anyone thinks a 15 hour day is acceptable in any industry, especially given the responsibility driving anything up to 46 ton places on you, a lot of employers will make sure to max that 15 hours as well

I can't see why you'd need permits for weekends, just alternate the 4 day work week and have drivers work through weekends alternatively

I'd like to see tacho rules in Ireland changed, keep the daily driving to a 9 hour day but get rid of the mandatory break and let the driver decide when they want to take their breaks, they're open to abuse anyway which most drivers take full advantage of

They need to make the industry more appealing to young people, there's a big shortage of drivers and no plan to replace retiring drivers, a shorter working week and better pay and conditions and it might go some way to relieving the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11 toe-cutter

all great points made

no young person will go into this sector unless working conditions improve were work life balance/ working conditions 9hr per day max.

one thing for sure at present this sector is not for young people

the way this sector favors employers not employee your one in wexford [murphy] IND TD

wanted to bring in drivers from non EU to support the shortage of drivers. rather than sort out the issues in-house

what's needed is consilation with drivers across the board in all hgv sectors to make this sector as a career.

drivers forum country wide [ goverment backed] information stats compiled with improvements made feedback and overseen by appointed / indepentant

operators. HIS WOULD CAUSE A MAJOR STIR FOR THE SECTOR. and finding signed off by drivers for future -drivers

whats worries me the most is

at present a driver working his 5 day shift 11 per day 55hr week or maybe this working a extra day maybe not well rested feeling out of sorts. as you well know narrow roads we take sometimes/all the time ins in the difference between units. all it takes is a miss judgement game over. road users are not aware of this in there family cars.

permits with the view of reducing traffic on the roads plus a lever.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭broken sink

You mention in your original post about the high turnover of drivers from once sector to another. What sector are the drivers moving into? The reason I ask is because I was going to start a thread and ask peoples opinion about whether to try and get a bus or truck license. I see courses advertised in both.

Moving onto bus, and different operations but still driving even dropping down to van work with the view of reducing hours of course it’s family related and age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Moving to Aldi stacking shelves or any other job. You get the same pay, or better in some places, and a lot less hassle than driving a large vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I know 1 lad went back laying blocks, another went driving a van, a few left artic work to go on tippers doing local work, all had the same complaints, being away from family and long hours, artic work is hard going with little thanks and treated like tinkers by the rsa and the guards

On paper the wages would be alright but for the hours worked its poor money not to mention sending 12 or 24 hours a day in a lorry which can be tough

Bus or lorry driving is no picnic and artic work is imo a young man's game, but worth a try nevertheless if its an itch you have to scratch

I know one lad who has a full time job 9-5

jumps into a unit when needed to top up his wages ( part time no issue with digi)

my understanding in the uk have a shortage of 45,000 drivers +

irish & English drivers were always bouncing between the two islands not no more with brexit delays/ paperwork ect I would love to know how many companies have bypassed uk for main land Europe??

the crisis is here with the shortage key points

• 1. working hours 9 hrs max same as factory workers
    • 2. working conditions
    • 3. four day working week 3 days off altogether
    • 4. No loss of wages because of reduced working week/ any under hand by employers would be fast tracked to wrc ( labour rights commission) with the view of compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Four day working week does exist with a small minority of hauliers, 4 over 7, but usually 5 over 7. Most of the trucks on the roads over the weekend are food deliveries (FMCG) to stores that are open 7 days. Hauliers have to be flexible, as if they turn down this work, some one else will grab it, also who will issue and police weekend permits?

Belgium & Germany have a permit system in place.

off course supermarkets/ fuel would be running 24/7.

permit system is to reduce traffic on the roads

green climate ( make it safer for family time @ the weekends

also working life balance this sector is dying on its feet. Why would a young persons pay out large sums Of money

to work long hours & treated like dog poo with no safe guards in place to protect ur working rights no regulations to protect him/her at present

the other hand employer solutions are

a nice shiny unit with all the bells & whistles.

or let’s get people from other countries. Give them lodging ( with reduced pay & conditions )

company’s will adapt to regulations/law

transport companies will follow suit

or will be out of business

drivers know the cowboys

Post edited by toe-cutter on

• Advertisement

Who do the driving bans affect in Germany?

If your truck weighs more than 7.5 tons or you pull a trailer with it, you have no business on the roads during the truck ban. This also applies to empty runs! However, there are exceptions, especially for fresh food. You may also drive during the driving ban periods if you are transporting

• live fish, fresh fish or fresh fish products,
    • fresh meat products or fresh meat,
    • fresh milk products or fresh milk,
    • perishable vegetables or fruit,
    • certain animal by-products, or
    • live bees

Empty runs, which you have to make to transport these products, are also exempted from the driving ban. The same applies in the event of accidents or emergencies for breakdown service vehicles, towing and recovery vehicles.

This is the public holiday and Sunday driving ban for trucks

In principle, the truck driving ban applies every Sunday. You are not allowed to move your vehicle from midnight to 10:00 p.m. There is also the ban on driving on public holidays. These include

• New Year’s Day
    • Good Friday
    • Easter Monday
    • Labour Day (1 May)
    • Ascension Day
    • Whitsun
    • German Unification Day (3 October)
    • Christmas Day and Boxing Day

In addition there are Corpus Christi and All Saints’ Day, but only in Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg, Rhineland-Palatinate, North Rhine-Westphalia and Saarland. Corpus Christi is also a holiday in Hesse. On Reformation Day (31 October) you are not allowed to drive your truck on the roads of Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony and Thuringia. From 2018 to 2020, a special permit for transport to and from Berlin will also apply on this day.

During the main holiday period, the truck driving ban applies at the weekend

When the cars are moving in huge queues to go on holiday or bring the holidaymakers back again, the ban on trucks is extended to Saturday. Between 1 July and 31 August, you are not allowed to travel on selected motorways and federal roads between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturdays. Here you will find a good overview provided by the Federal Ministry of Transport plus digital structure of the routes.

You can apply for an exemption in urgent cases

If your employer believes they have an urgent reason, they can apply to the relevant road traffic authority for an exemption. However, these are issued in only a few cases. Simple economic advantages over the competition, for example, are not a sufficient reason.

Summary: On some days, the roads remain mostly truck-free

Even if the break doesn’t fit you well into the plan, it is in your own interest to comply with the truck driving ban. Otherwise, if you are caught, you will be fined 120 euros. If the idea of driving during the driving ban originates from your employer, i.e. if they have ordered it or knowingly permitted it, they will even be asked to pay 570 euros. So it is better to plan the trips from the outset around the days with the driving ban and dedicate this time to the much needed rest for the driver.

Truck bans in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg in 2021.

31 March 2021

In three Benelux countries, regular restrictions apply mainly in Luxembourg. Belgium and the Netherlands introduce restrictions sporadically, for example in the event of special weather conditions, and permanent bans mainly apply to oversize transport.

According to the drivers, carrying out a transport assignment in the Benelux countries is calm and stress-free. It is safe in these countries – the state of the roads is good, there are relatively few vehicle break-ins, the car parks are guarded and lit. Only the road services take their duties seriously and treat any infringement related to transport and drivers’ working time very strictly. It is therefore advisable to be careful and observe all regulations, including those related to prohibitions.

Truck driving bans in Luxembourg

Holidays in Luxembourg in 2021

– 5 April, Easter Monday

– 1 May, Labour Day

– 9 May, Europe Day

– 13 May, Ascension Day

– 24 May, Pentecost

– 23 June, National Holiday

– 15 August, Assumption Day,

– 1 November, All Saints’ Day,

– 25 and 26 December, Christmas.

Regular bans in Luxembourg

Regular bans on trucks in Luxembourg apply to heavy goods vehicles (with or without a semi-trailer) with a gross vehicle weight of more than 7.5t. Please note that regulations restricting the movement of means of transport used to carry goods apply throughout the country, on the entire road and motorway network.

Transport from Germany or Belgium to France: in this case, there is a ban on Saturdays and days preceding public holidays from 21:30 to 21:45 on Sundays and public holidays. For transport to France, additional bans will also apply on 8 May, 14 July and 11 November.

->  Vehicle traffic bans in September 2022

Transport from Belgium or France to Germany: on the routes concerned, there is a ban on Saturdays and the days before public holidays from 23:30 and on Sundays and public holidays from 21:45.

An exception is the 23rd of June, when the Grand Duke’s birthday is celebrated and the country celebrates its independence from the Netherlands and Belgium. On this day, there are no traffic bans for heavy goods vehicles.

All means of transport over 3.5 tonnes (except delivery vans and those belonging to residents) are also prohibited on the following sections:

– CR150, between the junction with CR152 at Burmerangei and the junction of CR150 with CR152 at Remerschen,

– CR152, between the junction with CR150 in Burmerangei and the junction with CR152B in Schengen,

– N16, between the junction with the N16A at Mondorf-les-Bains and the Mondor junction linking the A13 and N16,

Exemptions from prohibitions

Luxembourg traffic restrictions do not apply to vehicles transporting live animals and perishable goods and flowers, cargo necessary for the proper organisation of events and sporting events, newspapers; also, during the harvest season, for the collection and transport of agricultural products from the place of harvest and combined transport by rail and road, between the place of loading and the point of unloading (provided the route does not exceed 200 km and the transport is heading towards Germany).

Lorry bans in Belgium

Bans in Belgium mainly apply to the transport of oversize loads during certain periods. It should be noted that in this country the movement of such transport is strictly standardised and can take place in specific regions.

->  HGV bans in August 2020

Restrictions on public holidays

Restrictions are in force on: 5 April, 1 May, 24 May, 21 July, 15 August, 1 November, 11 November and 25 December. On motorways, the bans apply from 4pm the day before the holiday until 9am the following day, and on other roads from 4pm the previous day until 6am the following day.

Holidays in Belgium in 2021

– 4 April, Easter,

– 5 April, Easter Monday,

– 1 May, Labour Day,

– 13 May, Ascension Day,

– 24 May, Pentecost,

– 11 July, Flemish Community Day,

– 21 July, National Day,

– 15 August, Assumption Day,

– 27 September, French Community Day,

– 1 November, All Saints’ Day,

– 11 November, anniversary of the Armistice of 1918,

– 25 December, Christmas Day.

Restrictions on motorways, roads and cities

Motorways. The ban applies from 6 am on Saturday to 9 am on Monday. For loads exceeding 3.5 metres in width, 30 metres in length or 4.30 metres in height, the ban applies daily from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. On public holidays – as above – the hours of restriction differ from those on weekends.

Roads. Oversize loads are also banned on the Antwerp bypass R1, between junctions 2 (Antwerpen-Noord) and 6 (Linkeroever), Brussels bypass R0, Charleroi bypass R9 and other sections. You can check more sections on the Bans For Trucks app.

Cities. From 7am to 9am and from 4pm to 6pm, the movement of vehicles with abnormal loads is banned in Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Charleroi, Kortrijk, Ghent, Hasselt, Liège, Louvain, Mechelen, Mons, Namur, Oostende, Tournai and Verviers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Worked in the haulage sector for years back in the day before tachos and RSA/Garda vampires looked to stitch you up at every turn. Money was good back then compared to other jobs and i didn't mind the long hours as i had no family at that stage and it suited just fine. It's no life now and the low pay, CPC nonsense and being treated like a piece of dirt by virtually everyone has driven people away from it including me when i got pulled over at an RSA checkpoint in 2010 and treated like a criminal by a team of jobsworths. Handed in my notice that evening and got a stress free job without the hassle two weeks later. It was the kick up the arse i needed to get out as my pay had reduced by 40% over the previous couple of years anyway so in hindsight getting hounded by the RSA that day was a positive move.

I'd advice against it for anyone looking for work as you'd get as good wages packing shelves in Aldi or doing a van courier job and not have RSA/Gardai constantly on your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I've been involved in the transport industry since my early 20s and was lucky to obtain my licence in the 90s the transport industry is 24/7365

This was when employers wouldn't touch anyone with no experience and under the age of 25, I've seen some changes over the years especially with the wages T&C etc going down instead of staying up.

A lot of this happened during the last recession with the explosion of agencies bringing the wages down along with the introduction of zero hour contracts.

A lot of drivers back then got out of the industry all together or changed jobs within the industry, Their is no young drivers coming through that's why the likes of the FTA and Sligo IT are doing some sort of apprenticeship to entice young people into the industry.

So just before the invasion of Ukraine the RSA was tasked by the transport minister to source drivers from Ukraine Moldova Macedonia and Argentina, IMO it be pure disaster to bring in drivers from overseas.

There are still companies out there paying good wages working M/F with the odd Saturday involved, And not doing 12/15 hr day.

On the money with your comments.

can I with your permission can I use your statement in a report I’m compiling

ok here we go!

i want to put out to all

if you are a young person what would attract you into this sector & what needs to change??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

The first thing that should be done is ban the day rates,they almost always amount to exploration.

Make all companies pay hourly rates and drivers can compare jobs and make there own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Yep i was e mailed a job paying a daily rate of €160 for first four days and the fifth day was €175. These were 12 hour shifts starting from 0100 hrs.

So a 60 hour week nothing about WTD /Tacho regs, Obviously they didn't get anyone and re advertised the job with more money.

Over the years transport companies kept on cutting the price of work/ contacts.relaying on cheap labour to cut costs & keep as much profit we’re possible .

however in the last number of years a storm has being brewing.

brexit uk by- passed

covid lot of drivers went back home & never came back.

ukraine

I was Woking today and seen a new guy trying to reverse on to a bay with no units either side of him ( it was frightening to watch

two days ago I heard another new driver heading to Kerry using a sat-nav

haven’t heard anything yet could have boarded the boat in Rosslare 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

This day rate/subsistence allowance lark is a joke. yes drivers are getting biggish money into their hands but on their payslips they are on less than the minimum wage and I can't fathom how it's being gotten away with.

I totally agree with you in that all drivers should be paid hourly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

That Fully legal might be 12hour day but WTD/ tacho don't count break as work. So night time working rules limiting to 10 hours shift and easily be done legally if waiting to be loading / on break for 2 hours plus a day

RSA checkpoint are great things for drivers days of going out with bald tyres etc are over and going over hours regularly are over . 6 or 7 years ago when there was little enforcement I would have put in big hours trailer with wire out of tyres abs problem's those days are gone which is good for drivers

Hours pay can be bad too went thighs go slow your told to go home compared to day rate even if told to go home after 7 hours your still getting full pay . Best thing like place I work after 10 hours your paid by hour

• Registered Users Posts: 33 notthereyet

Drive a grab here for a Civil utility company in Midlands get paid hourly 19 euro and OT is time and half and some night work which can be handy, you would be flat out most days Mon to Thursday and Fridays can be handy as the crews usually leave a handy gig for Friday usually serving 2 gangs and the tip can be an hour away get to bring home the truck and no tracker on it so you could do a bit Saturday for yourself you also get the odd load of good fill which you can sell to farmer or self builder. No taco required someday there is no breaks and someday you could be sitting up for hours although I usually would get out and help the lads, grab a brush or something usually just for the crack and a bit of banter. Truck is in good condition with a mobile fitter on hand, probably took me about a month to get competent on the grab but the crowd I work for are rough as fucck and if your not breaking or rolling over stuff your not working hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

in most industries employees are full time ,they are paid there 8hrs even if they are sent home when there is no work.

why is haulage different?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Many hauliers already offering 4 days contracts. And don't forget you can work max 48 hours per week in average anyway.

Advertisement