Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus grateful

• 15-10-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this in the wrong place, Mods feel free to move as appropriate:

I have travelled on public transport a lot throughout the World.

Yesterday I had reason to use Dublin Bus for the first time in many many years. I got a C3 ( I think, it’s the old 66) from Houston Station to Leixlip at 15h45.

A good number of passengers thanked the bus driver as they were getting off ( I was standing at the bottom of the stairs going upstairs, so standing between the driver and the exit door). The Driver commented to every ‘thank You’ with a ‘you’re welcome’. It was great to see gratitude from both sides.

It’s the first time I heard thanks and You’re welcome. If that’s the norm on DB, all I can say is ‘DB, You’re drivers are a credit to the company.

WELL DONE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

I've heard that this is a very Irish thing to do in general. You don't get the same sort of interaction on the continent or in the UK for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have always made a point of saying "thanks" as I'm getting off the bus - but it's not as easy now that you have to get off at the middle doors.

I had noticed more and more people doing it before the middle-doors thing became the norm, but a few still do shout it up the bus in the driver's general direction.

It's a nice thing to do, and I hope it doesn't die out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I have noticed it outside of Ireland but more so outside of cities on Bus Eireann style routes. It's fairly common in the UK just not in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

I'm a driver and one thing I do notice is that you seem to get more people who say thanks on the way out than than there is who greet you on the way in. A lot blank the driver's hello and just say equivalent of "town please" or sometimes just "town". Sometimes you get people who say nothing all and just place the card up. Some of them seem to think that it's all the one price on any city route so that's half the reason they don't say anything. But a lot of these same - seemingly rude - people do actually thank you on the way out. Of course there are also people who don't say anything on the way out or in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find that due to centre door alighting I now have to shout my 'thanks' up the bus. Although my nearest route operates EVs most of the time so I still get to thank the driver as pass the cab on may way out.

I think most folks boarding are focused on getting in, paying the fare and sitting down rather than consciously not greeting the driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement