Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter account suspended ?

Options
  • 14-10-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭

My twitter account is now unaccessible. I can only restore it by submitting a phone number. This seems to be a very sharp practice. I don't see any need for Twitter to have my phone number.

I should add that the account was not suspended for violating any rules. In truth, I don't post that much on it. I only have a handful of followers and am not bothered about accumulating them either. I really just use it for browsing news/current affairs/sports. It's just an annoyance to have to start another account and go try to remember all the accounts I was following.

It must be very distressing for this to happen to someone who is concerned about their following/presence on the platform. They would likely capitulate immediately and give twitter their phone number. I hope Elon Musk buys it and runs it into the ground!

Anyways, that's just my rant...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can see who your account follows without logging into it unless it's a private account

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone who is strongly concerned about their following is going to have 2FA turned on, and most people go for SMS even though Twitter has other options.

Also anyone who used it in the dark dark ages will remember that it was basically an SMS to web platform - that's where the old 140 character limit came from.

So I'd say a huge % of people have long since given their phone number over; albeit I can see why you wouldn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How's it a sharp practise? They're not exactly charging you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

They're harvesting my valuable data! And trying to do so on the premise of blocking my account due to "unusual activity".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Would you prefer they didn't attempt to verify it is a valid account?

I'm willing to bet Twitter already have everything they need to know about you. I've seen an account on social media in the US where people claim they're extremely private about that data they share publicly and the 19 year old girl running the account comes back with their date of birth, their partners name, often their address, in a matter of minutes.

And all she has is an internet connection and a keen mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they use your valuable data for anything other than the stated purposes in their privacy policy, they’re going to be making very large payouts in fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

IoTeX take control of your data, w3b. (web 3.0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Twitter definitely don't have info on me. I created the account with 10 minute mail and I also use a TOR browser.

Advertisement