Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Service Machines/apps

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Did Lidl raise their prices to match their competitors

You'd have to be an actuary to work out that balance or actually no just bamboozle people with offers and deals so nobody knows what they're paying seems to be the main tactic of supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes when it was cheap and full of stuff you never seen before. and the tools/electronics deals were worth queuing up for in the morning before the shop opened.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The alternative is that the hire staff and pass the cost on to you would you prefer that? Because they are not going to cut their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah lucky you! I used the past tense as I have no chance of getting to a LIDl or any other supermarket. would love it!. I can access only supervalu by email then ferry delivery as that is organised! When I was able to get to eg Westport...... maybe one day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

All well and good until you realise you’ve only bought one carton of milk and a pretzel!

There are two Lidls near me where I live in Germany, both with eight or ten self service machines and usually two or three manned checkouts, and hardly anybody seems to use the self service for some reason. No idea why - they’re super easy to use, and there’s always a staff member standing by to help. You then scan your receipt to get through the little exit barrier, and away you go.

Lidls here, at least where I live, are great stores. They tend to have veg in particular that other stores don’t have, and are not exactly middle-market, but fancier than the “discount” supermarkets, they carry some branded items - hello Kerrygold butter - and still have their own cheaper ranges of products.

Saying that, with minimal to no human interaction, there are a few delivery-only services that can have your groceries at your door in under 15 minutes from ordering. More expensive of course, and one, in particular, doesn’t have the best track record in staff treatment.

• Advertisement

I would rather make finger puppets from old socks in the dark than have to shop at any of those places

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why? I used to enjoy shopping there so much. Seeing what was on offer, what was new,, being able to potter without being bothered by an assistant.. I chose to shop there and wil do so again IF I get the chance to go out. It is just provisioning not a social occasion. And they create jobs locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

no. The products didn’t get cheaper by virtue of these machines so…

live never minded paying for service

sure why don’t they have us stock the odd shelf too, it be a bit cheaper again.

Lord Tesco and the like just bought bigger Superyachts with the money they were saving on wages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dislike faux social interactions a pain so self service helps me avoid them. Had to go through a normal till in Dunnes lately due to a larger than usual number of purchases. Woman in front of me, massive trolley of stuff but nearly all scanned. Waited until she was told how much, then packed the last few items before saying "Just a minute", nearly walking through me to move out of the aisle so she could potter off to some aisle, leave us waiting 5 minutes (I timed it) before coming back with something and continuing on as if the world stopped for just her. Took a lot of effort not to say something, but I knew I'd explode if I did because of family health issues ongoing. I hate people.

Saying that, I greatly dislike the McDonalds self service machines. Aside from the fact that they're unnecessarily big, they contain fecal matter. I only do drive through now. Less fecal matter, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i chose the shortest queue , self service or paying cash to a person at the till.i have no problem with them ,i never use lidl or aldi app ,just put cash into the self service unit

Advertisement