Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What esim plans are available in Ireland?

• 13-10-2022 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

Just ordered a new phone, and it's only got a single sim card and an esim slot. I need a physical sim for my work number, so it looks like I'll have to take out a new contract for my personal number.

What are my options? I can't really find information online as to what carriers provide esims. And are they provided as standard when you take out a contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Only Vodafone offer them and I think I read on here they're not provisioning any new ones, best to check with them

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

You can get it provision through the app again, managed to get mine switched over last week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 qmacker

According to Apple, only Vodafone offer eSIM in Ireland, echoing bennyx_o’s comment above. BUT…

Three sell the iPhone 14 which ONLY works with eSIMs, so they must be able to do it.

I’m in the States at the moment but split my time between here and Dublin and carry two phones. I have Three at home. I’m thinking of getting a new iPhone 14 here. But I’m wondering when I get back there will Three give me the runaround when I ask to transfer my Three number to it as well?

Apropos my above comment, boards.ie won’t let me post links, but the page I’m referencing from Apple is titled:

”Find wireless carriers and worldwide service providers that offer eSIM service”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The european iphone 14’s do have sim trays. It’s the US version doesn’t have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It’s not working anymore and Vodafone claim they no longer offer them due to technical issues. Stuck abroad with no access to my number now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

I got it done in less than 5 mins on October 5th, their Henry street store also do it but they said it’s quicker if you just do it yourself through the app or online

Saturday 15th. Online was giving errors to transfer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I got an eSim on Vodafone Ireland a few weeks ago no problems on the app. Use it in a iPhone 14 along with a Three physical sim for work and personal numbers. Three say they will support eSim in 2023

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

I got an free esim last week through vodafone.ie. The whole process took about 30 minutes for me to get a new number.

As for esims with Three it seems they won't be available until 2023.

NFH give's an interesting view point as to why it's taking them so long;

Interestingly in the latest comments from that thread is that VF and Three are looking to merge together in the UK.

Post edited by not1but4 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

@shanec1928 I ported a number in from 3 to VF eSim a week ago all while in NY. It did give me an error with the order and I got on to chat and they cleared something in the background and it was available immediately within MyVodafone. I will say it seems like a problem with agent knowledge with Vodafone when it comes to eSim. Some say they stopped doing it months ago and others do it without any issues... Maybe try chat again?

3UK do eSIM, 3 Ireland don't for those saying 3 do esim

ya seems the person online was an idiot and didnt have a clue. Walked in store and got a esim again.. so much needless hassle in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭lordsheepface

vodafone esims definitely working in ireland. have provisioned a few for people this month on iphone and android.

no other network does them. if its just data you want there are a number of online providers of esims but you would get a phone number with calls / texts on most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭HHH

I've just set up my vodafone PAYG esim online using my Pixel 6. Followed the instructions in the Pixel's settings. Scanned the QR code from my laptop screen which was logged into vodafone and activated it all in under 5 minutes. No need to go to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Will be interesting to see if iPhone 15 line announcement next week will push any Irish telecoms into eSim announcements. Asides from the ease of swapping networks, another huge plus as I see it is theft. Thieves can’t just whip out your SIM card and stop you tracking a phone making it less appealing to steal. I’d like to see a “unlock to power down” feature added to iPhone / android to help keep phones tractable when stolen with eSim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Great idea. Lead lined bag, meet bdoggs phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can anyone confirm if I Can buy a vodafone E-Sim remotely as of today?

Got my phone nicked in Bordeaux over the weekend. In France for two more weeks, and I just need a number etc to get access to my 2FAs (even if its not my number)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cork981

Yeah I ordered two recently, recently the activation code by email almost immediately.

• Advertisement

Looks like Lyca Mobile now offer esim and 5G. Much better over than 48

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/how-to-order/can-i-get-a-lyca-esim-on-prepaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Have you tried it ? It gives me Verification Failed no matter what I do or select on check out

Ah yeah, getting the same error trying to place an order. I sent an email with the details to cs@lycamobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jusvi2001

Never got it working. Got a reply from support on Saturday saying the website was working fine and to try ordering using a different browser etc etc.

Post edited by Cork981 on

Getting verification failed too. Good to see it finally appearing on some of the other networks at last.

Called them but Iay as well not have. Described the problem and was told just to follow her instructions which was exactly what I was doing. Then clear cache, blah blah blah. And then finally got asked to wait 30 mins- 1hour and try again. Clearly wasn't going to help and just wanted me off the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jusvi2001

seems its an half baked cookie. Probably they will fix it soon. pity other established carriers and MVNOs in Ireland is not putting any effort to introduce esims

Might have pushed it to PROD a little too soon! Just a pity their customer service agents are worse than useless. May as well have been talking to the wall.

• Advertisement

Still not working today. I've tried to pay with two different cards and with Paypal. I've tried Safari, Chrome, Edge and Firefox. All return validation failed error.

Support keeping saying no issue.

Its a shame because it looks like a good offer and support 5G but impossible to get an esim which I need.

That's almost a week so. Mad that they would know about it and not fix or remove it.

I read on 3 Community forum that a user successfully swapped his existing physical lyca sim for an esim so if you are in a hurry to get one then purchasing one in a store and swapping it afterwards is probably your best bet.

Ah cool, I was able to do that. Very simple process. Getting over 400mb on 5G... not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PH0NER

I was finally able to process a new eSIM order through Lyca. I first tried with PayPal and got through to the payment completion screen. Once it sent back to Lyca, it failed. I retried with my debit card and it was successful. eSIM QR code arrived instantly in my email.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Disregard, apologies bumped an old thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PH0NER

Just an update for March 2024:

• Vodafone, Three, & Lyca offer eSIM.
    • No word from Eir or GoMo.
    • No word from any other prepaid/MVNOs if they’ll support eSIM soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hank Five

Folks, webchats weren't much help: how can I order an eSIM online from either Vodafone or Three, as a new customer switching? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭rhinosaurious

With 3 you can just select your plan as usual and click e sim at the checkout pages instead of physical sim, there will be those 2 options and you just hit esim.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭knockoutned

Does anyone know if the carriers that have esim have plans for smart watches yet?

• Advertisement

No option to order an eSIM from Three or Vodafone online as a new customer switching (PAYG). Have to either go in-store or order a physical SIM and switch it over.

Lycamobile does have an option to order an eSIM.

I was able to switch to 3 esim payg from another network a few months ago unless something has changed recently.

Something must have changed. I cannot find any step in the ordering process that will let me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

I am also on the lookout for an esim for a smartwatch. I know Vodafone does the OneNumber deal, which is think is €5 per month, but I am a GoMo customer and only pay a tenner, so won't be switching my main number to anyone else.

The Lyca offer of €75 for 12 months is pretty good though, and would only work out as €6.25 pm, so would consider using that as my smart watch plan. I just want to be sure that I am right in thinking that any esim will work in a smartwatch... I mean when people talk about smart watch plans, they mean cheap plans intended as add-ons and not full calls+data plans? There is nothing to stop someone using an esim intended for a phone plan in a smartwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

You can choose between SIM and eSIM in the basket before checkout.

Yes I've said Lyca does have that option, you've misread those posts. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corex

Lyca uses an ESIM QR code which you need to scan to activate the ESIM. Most Smart watches does not seem to have cameras so not sure how you would be able to scan the QR code with your Smartwatch and activate the ESIM.

Just in case anyone is wondering, or ends up here after searching, Three was handy enough.

Physical SIM is next day delivery, set it up on a phone as normal, go onto three.ie to request replacement SIM and select eSIM. Give your number/email etc and an eSIM QR code will be emailed to you (took less than an hour to be sent for me). Scan it with the phone you want it for and you're done.

(My original problem was my phone (Google Pixel 4a 5g) had stopped reading physical SIMs altogether but luckily it can be used with eSIM.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 siddhanth

How is Lyca eSIM in terms of coverage? I don't mind 4G since I am mostly connected to WiFi at home and at work. I am looking to replace my Vodafone eSIM that costs me €45/m. Was waiting for GoMo to launch their eSIM but they didn't. Also, I am planning to cut down on my phone bills as well.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I've had Lycamobile eSim since last year.

Bought the 12 month plan, one off payment. It "renews" monthly so all data stats reset on the plan (unlimited isn't really unlimited, but plenty for me)

I've never had an issue.

Btw it's 5G :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement