Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone just used my name and email to sign up for a website without my permission.

Options
  • 12-10-2022 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

And I have no idea who could have gotten my details! At least whoever got my details, they didn't get my middle name right! Someone used my detail to sign up for some American financial services company. The email seems legit although I didn't click on any links. I don't think the said company have any buildings here in Ireland to ring and inform them of what happened.

I am trying to wrap my head around how this could have possibly happened. I use the email in question for more personal use but never to sign up for any dodgy website. The only way someone could have gotten hold of my name and email is probably a website I signed up with could have been hacked.

I'm nervous because who knows what information the scammers have on me! Anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed?

Edit: So just to clarify, I never heard of this American company and have never signed up to them. Also, I just emailed the actual company's anti-fraud division to get clarification. I don't know how long it will take before they respond. I'm just worried about my details leaking, because the scammers have my first and last names!

Post edited by X Army on

Comments

Advertisement