Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people you know in supermarkets.

Options
  • 12-10-2022 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the supermarket the worst place to meet people you know? People act so weird when you meet them there.

I was in one yesterday and I saw a one night stand from years ago, said I would call her but never did because I took her number down wrong at the time, so I went down another aisle and saw an ex at the checkout, we ended on very bad terms and haven't talked in years. So I ended up down in an aisle I have no interest in waiting for them to get out of the shop lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

I suppose it is if you live in a town with only 1 supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dan Fogelberg sang it best years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wear a FFP2 and don't make eye contact with anyone but do keep an eye out for people that you'd like to avoid so that you don't both arrive at the checkout at the same time. I don't like bumping into people from my past and the supermarket is the most likely place for it to happen. What do you say to someone that you haven't spoken to in nearly 30 years? Best for everyone involved that you avoid each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What do you say to someone that you haven't spoken to in nearly 30 years?

"Hi Brian, haven't seen you in years! How have you been?"

They'll likely say "Grand, and yourself?"

You say "Grand. I need to head on, have to meet x, good to see you."

Then purposefully push your trolley and carry on with your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Meeting people in the supermarket is a quintessential part of Irish culture at this stage. You are not supposed to hide, if you chatted to those girlies you might have got another shag

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Awkward moment with that person in the aisle? It's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The problem with meeting people in supermarket is when you bump into someone and make small talk and then if your not careful will continue to cross paths with them and have that awkward nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Walk at pace, say hello and look straight ahead. The marker has been set. I haven't much interest talking to you and I'm here to just shop. Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its with threads like this that the introverted misanthropist traits of the typical boardsie really come out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I meet people all the time in supermarkets.

If I know them it is a bonus. It is a nice way of assessing if someone likes you or not, anyone who you know who trys to avoid you should be categorised in the same bracket as assholes who wouldn't share a drink with you. Avoiding includes explaining they are in a rush or pretending they don't see you. Do not let these types away with it. If you catch them at it bring up something that will make them seethe and cringe simultaneously, get your passive aggressive dig in.

Avoid leering into their shopping, it is nosey. If they hate you it will admonish their feelings, if they like you they might feel awkward and reassess their feelings.

Mention bargains or share your thoughts on quality products, it is a nice way to generate trust and gather some genuine 3rd hand local gossip on people you both despise. This can also be a nice opportunity to land someone in it, by mentioning something casually which you feel may be taken up the wrong way and drastically misinterpreted.

Try to avoid colleagues if possible, they won't want to talk with you either. If you meet while cornering keep your phucking head down and make like you are concentrating on something else and in a complete world of your own. If this does not work go for feigned surprise, be cordial and keep you head and chin up. Whatever you do try not to glance at whatever shight they are buying? The last thing you need to know is what type of Tampon Mary from accounts is using, or what colour toilet roll she prefers wiping her arse with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

was covered in #10 - it's the 2nd, and all the subsequent meetings (three aint unusual in that respect) afterwards, that are far worse than the first one 😃

Its with threads like this that the introverted misanthropist traits of the typical boardsie really come out 😁😁😁

Very good, and too true also; as, sadly, the introverted misanthropic boardsie can 'get away' with: not working , no family , staying indoors all day (pretty much anyhow 🙂) , but there's little 'getting away' from doing the weekly/twice weekly shop 😄

course s/he could get stuff delivered but that has its own hassles too; as well as being fraught with diffident mendaciousness, in having to do the same bs smalltalk with delivery dude; and not to mention that's another person what requires avoiding, going forward 😂

it's a tightrope I'd prefer to go nowhere near meself: once ya get past the second sentence ye're 'fooked'

Me (seeing someone I know in shoppe) : "Well?"

Other Person (OP 😋) : "Not bad, how's life with ya - haven't seen ya in years?"

Me : " ah yeah, doing fcuk all (attempt at laughter) ; as well off I suppose"

OP: "arrah, shur Jayzus don't I know"

Me: "better be getting on - good luck"

stay shooting breeze any longer than two (three at a push) sentences/replies/questions , and you're 'locked in' to convo (that none of us wants) for at least 2 minutes; and that could go to four or five,, obliged to talk about family/brothers/sisters/the whole freakin gamut after response no. three :horror:

awkward leaving after sentence two, but just push thru 'stress barrier' and exit post haste, cos it's only gonna get worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

All I know is that I love to stand in the doorway with ny trolley, exchanging pleasantries oblivious to the hassle im causing, because im the center of the universe.

It has to be the doorway, nowhere else is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That's awkward IMO. I have no issue chatting with someone that I have regular contact with and who isn't an asshole.

But if many years have passed, I don't know them and they don't know me yet somehow there is the expectation to acknowledge each other with more than just "hello".

Had one at a Spar shop a while back where a fella I last spoke to 1994 waited for me at the exit after we had made eye contact in the queue. He's a public figure so after some smalltalk, I blurted out a compliment about some work he had done recently. He made a quick exit after it anyway as his "wife would be wondering where he was".

Had a near miss in Tesco with another one that I hadn't spoken to in 15 years. Some eye contact but kept going. My mask helped. He's anti vax and ant mask based on his twitter and I suspect I would have gotten a sermon had we engaged..

When I go to the supermarket I want to be left alone to focus on important things - e.g. filling the trolley with Pot Noodles and picking out items that can be reused as piss bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Your last paragraph should guarantee you being left alone.

A friend of mine wears hearing aids , when he goes shopping with his wife , he purposely takes them out.

His wife loses her reason with him as he contenly ignores all going around him .

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Excellent advice; can also be applied to the chip shop scenario too.

The ex I have no interest in riding her, she is married as well. The other one I would.

• Advertisement

im actually not introverted but Im in a supermarket to shop, have no interest in talking to anyone, then best just avoid an ex there or a one night stand you never called when you said you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is an old friend who works in a few supermarkets as a merchandiser. He goes in and builds those big ‘end displays’ that you see where one single product and it’s associated advertising takes up the end of the aisle…

in the supermarket one day and he’ll grab you for about ten minutes, all chat and craic, all the time in the world for you. Next time you see him there and if he’s behind or struggling.. which you won’t know incidentally, it’s a smile and an acknowledgement if you are lucky and his head back into the shelf and boxes….

last time that happened I saw he’s busy or thought he was…so I exclaim just messing “alright Eddie , hard at it or pretending? “… and walk on… next he’s off down the aisle after me, “ here I was meant to ring you, how’s everything ? Wait till I tell you…”.. 15 minutes later still gassing, when I see him again….it will be the “alright Strumms” version 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It never ceases to amaze me how many Boardsies seem to tie themselves up in absolute knots at the thoughts of completely mundane, everyday human interactions.

We certainly aren't your ordinary everyday citizens but then after all that's part of our charm isn't it ? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Indeed. If only a handbook could be handed out to you in school. "Nobody gives a fúck so don't waste time overthinking trivial shít"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, you got your second chance to have this number right...

Women dont usually take that kind of thing well in my experience. she probably hates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just fill your trolly full of condoms or pampers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Or. Hold with me a second here...ah well after the first murder I had to emigrate to Venezuela. I was told the coast was clear and I had another job. I came home and duped Google into giving me a low level it support position, perfect cover...say know more. Sure you know yourself. Bills aren't going to pay themselves.

Or you could be a bit more elaborate and unbelievable. Your choice.

Advertisement