If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Vulture Funds and Property Sale Issues

  • 10-10-2022 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

    We inherited a small apartment in Dublin from a widower uncle and we have put it on the market as we don't want to be landlords. It went sale agreed very quickly to a so-called vulture fund - the Vestry Partnership. They are taking forever to progress the sale and our solicitor says it's typical for them to delay the process for as long as possible. I am regretting accepting the bid but I didn't know who they were. Has anyone had any dealings with these people in regard to a property purchase? And how long did it take in the end for the sale to complete ultimately?



  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MoxoM

    Can’t you give them an ultimatum in relation to the timeline?

  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 36,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

    My mother sold a property recently to a government agency which took time alright. Bureaucracy, I guess. However, whilst it took time, there was no messing around or anything.

    You could impose a deadline or you'll back out. However, you'll have to relist the property which will incur a cost. Plus, will it sell as easily now and/or will you go sale agreed for the same amount?

  • Registered Users Posts: 30 dublinlush

    Yes we have done that and we are awaiting a response. They seem very keen and all but I am kind of annoyed with myself for not doing due diligence on them but it was difficult to do that before accepting their bid. I would prefer a home-owner bought the flat rather than these vulture fund people. But that is probably being too ideological.

  • Registered Users Posts: 30 dublinlush

    Yes it will sell for sure but it's a bit tricky! Thank you for your comment by the way ;-) I just put this out there in case anyone had experience with this specific Vestry Partnership crowd.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pebble1

    To the OP - what was the outcome of this? I'm waiting months for a sale to close also, I'm very much regretting going sale agreed with them.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,143 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

    If you are regretting going sale agreed, and would prefer to sell to an owner-occupier, you can talk to your solicitor about whether you are entitled to terminate the deal, or whether there are steps you can take that will entitle you to terminate it. Then you can remarket the property and choose a buyer that you are happy with. You may, of course, get less money, but maximising the sale price is not your priority.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭3DataModem

    "I am regretting accepting the bid"

    • if you haven't signed contracts, then just pull out. Costs nothing (unless your solicitor has done a lot of work).

  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭FledNanders

    If the Estate Agents in these cases are aware that these types of sale take a long time, should they not be making this very clear to the vendor before they accept the bid?

    Seems odd that vendors would only be realising this after the bid has been accepted