Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart WiFi Controlled storage heater

Options
  • 09-10-2022 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I have an external home office. I’m looking for a WiFi controlled storage heater so I can turn it on night before I’m going to be in the office so it will heat it day of. I’m on a smart tariff where energy is half price at night time hence why a storage heater would make sense.

About 15Msq office however I’m not seeing lots of options online.

any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I understand that you plan on taking advantage of the cheaper night rate, however storage heaters do not perform very well especially in terms of temperature control. Generally they overheat the room when energized and then loose heat too quickly in an uncontrolled manner when powered down. They are generally viewed as dated and expensive to run.

However if this is the way yo want to go perhaps you should consider unisng a Sonoff for app control.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Would you consider getting a minisplit A/C unit? These do heating and cooling and are very energy efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Thanks……yes I want to take advantage of the low rate at night, I have one of those smart meter rates where it’s significantly discounted from 11PM-8AM and even more so from 2-4AM, and then release the energy during the day. I realise I’ll still have to supplement that at some point during the day. Currently I just have a standard electric heater, so that’s expensive to run. Looking for alternatives.

haven’t heard of the mini split a/c unit. what would the benefits be?

thanks again.

Advertisement