Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance in NI VS Rep of I

Options
  • 08-10-2022 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Considering moving to Northern Ireland. If I am registered at an address in Northern Ireland, buy a car in the UK but travel back south every weekend how does this work from the point of view of insurance and tax and driving in the south with English plates on a regular basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are u living and working in NI? Should be no issue but if you are not living 4+ days in NI then customs take a dim view. Lots of checks in border areas during morning school and work run to see if people are actually living in the north while driving northern registered cars. They ask questions like your address, where u work, where are you going right now.

People with kids in the car pretending to be from NI but going to ROI schools far from border is a red flag.

Beware check the rules and try keep yourself 100% legal and don't lie to insurers. They may take a dim view of ROI licence driving UK car.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

If you are living in the North, have address in the North and spend majority of time in the North then no issue.

If you are trying to fib the system then you have issues with insurance etc and could be driving uninsured, remember insurance companies will find any loop hole to not pay out after an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

If you split your time between the two, which I'm sure many people do, I dont see how there can be an issue? For example a policy which im currently insured under covers you all across Europe, UK and other places, it gives no stipulation as to how long that could be over the year. Im waiting for a reply as to whether they will be able to ensure me on an English plate car with the same privileges

Foreign Travel

The motor insurance policy evidenced by this Certificate of Motor Insurance extends to include the compulsory motor insurance

requirements of:

a. the United Kingdom, Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Isle of Man and the

Channel Islands; and

b. any member country of the European Union.

You may be required to carry an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) as evidence of the compulsory motor insurance

requirements when driving in the UK, including Northern Ireland.

Sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself, you originally said the weekend, but now it seems to be more than the weekend.

If you are concerned ask the insurance company and they will give you the full information.

P.S I live on the border, I see plenty of people up to all sorts with cars. The Gardai/customs etc have heard it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

As far as I am aware the cover for driving outside the Republic is for short trips(possibly up to 30 days at any one time)not a regular commute

• Advertisement

If that was the case I expect it would have been stated in the policy. I might pop them an email to confirm.

The insurance company said

"In Ireland an insurance company would recommend you change the UK Reg of the vehicle over as soon as possible."

Very vague reply, doesn't sound like its a requirement.

Did you give them the full information?

It's your choice but insurance companies know all the tricks. It's not like people haven't been trying this for years. Please note I am not saying you are not telling the truth but give the full information to the companies and they will provide you with the correct legal information which will cover you.

Ive started a policy with this company that Ive been emailing so they have all my details. I asked if they insure on English registered vehicles and the reply was what I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve insured UK cars here several times and I’m always told to change the reg over within 30 days or my policy will be cancelled.

Also, if you don’t change the reg over the insurance company is supposed to pass your details onto Revenue.

Ok so you have already bought a car on UK plates? insured it in the North? currently driving it in Ireland and wondering should you register it in Ireland?

Sorry but in the original post you said you are considering moving to North and talking about buying a car, now it suggest you have already bought the car?

• Advertisement

Some people have more than one car. I have a policy already and have asked if I insure another car, UK plates is this an issue, they said what I said above.

I thought similar in the past, seems like a very easy answer to tell me if that was the case but that's not what the Insurance company answered when I asked them

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

But they told you to change it to Irish plates?

It won't be an issue until it is (i.e. if you're in an accident)

Advertisement