Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by Garda taking a photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Being a busybody is not a crime. The role of Gardai is to stop crime. They don't get to police behaviour that you or they don't like. They only get to police behaviour that breaks the law. Taking photo or video of a Garda operation in a public place is not a crime.

There is no right to privacy in a public place. Taking photo or video of a Garda operation is not harassment or intimidation. There is no requirement to get consent to publish a photo on social media. Individuals do not have the same data protection / GDPR obligations as organisations. There is a journalistic exemption within GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

'Allo 'allo Constible, I see you're 'arassing that chap, pretty please could I photograph you wile you 'arass 'im?

You might want to reign in that anger there before you blow a fuse or three.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It’s very simple, there is no expectation of privacy in public, even if you’re working. It’s simply unworkable to enforce anything other than this. All dash cams would have to be banned. All street photography would be illegal. You would have to geoblock all smartphones in case someone had the audacity to take a selfie and there’s a delivery driver in the shot behind them. It’s absurd. Go live in North Korea if that’s what you want.

If you go outside you are going to be seen by hundreds if not thousands of cameras, anyone taking a photograph for some artistic intent or just for fun as part of a hobby is the least of your worries. Google and Facebook know far more about you and you volunteer that data, including all your photos with glee. Claiming that working somehow offers protection to being seen is the same nonsense used to justify idiots who park on the footpath — ‘they’re just trying to do their job’ bollox.

Photographic and video records of our society are incredibly valuable historical documents of our society A diversity of viewpoints showing all aspects of how we live over the decades, and not just the filtered view of the media and the state are essential to the health of a free society. In particular those that serve the state, especially police, should expect to be observed, recorded, criticised and held to a high standard.

You are not special, you don’t own the photons bouncing off your face.

someone who clearly appeared to them to be behaving in a suspicious manner

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

There is nothing at all "clear" that the homeless person mentioned in the OP was behaving in a suspicious manner. Quite the opposite, the OP says that the guards were harassing the individual, and then went on to intimidate him/herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing remotely angry about my post at all. Bizarre anyone would interpret it that way. The eff word nothing more than for emphasis.

On the contrary, the OP seemed irritated/exasperated by it all. I simply pointed out his being a deliberate nuisance.

so, no fuses blowing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What you just typed has zero basis in any laws in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is not the taking of the photo it is what is done afterwards. Idiots that have the attitude that there rights trump everybody's else's

There is no need to stop CCTV or to preventing a person taking general photos. Where in lies the issues is where someone posts these on social media and the conquences. There has been young people who have taken there own lives over posting of photos 'taken in a public place''

That is where you are incorrect. I guarantee if you posted photos of traffic wardens or TV licience inspectors, LA's and An Post would take action over it and would win those cases in court.

You are incorrect about there being unlimited freedom to post anything you photograph onto social media. Where that can be construed as an attempt to intimidate those individuals you could be prosecuted.

On a side not I am amazed at he absolute ignorance of some posters here. They seem to think there is unlimited rights to do what you like. I am appalled that many see people who earn there livelyhood working in public as fair game.

It's immaterial whether it's a Garda, a clamper, a traffic warden, a Binman, a bouncer at a nightclub etc. They are entitled not to be photographed or videoed and it posted on social media. If they are doing something illegal well and good photo/ film it and report it to the appropriate bodies.

Most of the so called rights brigade only want to film activity where they see a perceived wrong doing by a person who is a person providing or enforcing an activity.

Most would p!ss on themselves if they had to do that work. It easily shown by the way a snowflake started this thread

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is there wheres Ireland going .like america.. what next you will be taking pictures of emergency personnel helping at an accident scene.. It maybe within the law tp take the photo, but would you want someone taking photos of you while you work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Would you like your photo being taken if you were the person in the accident or family member?

It was only a few weeks ago a poor woman took her life after being filmed in public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can get photos of someone from anywhere they are available online with the intention of causing harm. You can use classical editing and AI tools to create offensive material. All of this is decoupled from the right to take photos and video in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Your missing the point. Why would the OP think its ok to go around taking photos of people providing a public service

Gardai can't decide that taking a photograph is suspicious because of something that might happen in future with that photo on social media. That would be like deciding that filling a car with petrol is suspicious because sometimes cars used in robberies.

If there is intimidation on social media, they can deal with that when it arises.

In the meantime, anyone can take a photo of a public incident like this.

Probably because it's ok to go around taking photos of people providing a public service.

I never said the Gardai could. I have stressed from the start that the taking of the photo is not the issue even though it a pig ignorant act where there is no justification for it. It's the posting of that on SM afterwards where the issue lies

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It might not be illegal but it’s certainly scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not every single interaction between humans is enshrined in law.Being a normal person and having a bit of cop on goes a long way.

If a stranger put a camera in my face at work I'd have a problem with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Respectfully, you and quite a few others, are jumping to conclusions/making assumptions. The OP has been accused/assumed to have a specific intent in taking the images. This has been extrapolated into what "evil" purposes he intended to use the images for.

That's quite a jump, and in my opinion, a reflection of the biases, beliefs or value structure of the respondents and nothing to do with the OP. Have a look at the opening post again, not the intervening responses which always have a habit of disappearing down the rabbit hole. And what the OP (whom I do not know) said.

He saw some gardai interacting with a member of the public. He took some photos of the interaction. He did not state why he took them, or what he intended to do with them (if anything). Any such assumption, without asking the OP directly, is irrelevant.

He said the Garda said he could not take such pictures. The Gardai lied, intentionally, or are not fit to do their job through lack of knowledge of the law, which I believe they have taken oaths to uphold (this is my opinion, and not stated by the OP).

He said he pointed out that the Gardai were incorrect, which they conceded (because they knew this from the outset - my opinion).

He then stated that the Gardai then twice appeared to follow him and give him undue attention, that he felt intimidated To be intimidated is to make timid or fearful. Intimidation is solely in the perception of the person who is being intimidated. Nor your opinion, or mine, Therefore beyond question. The OP stated he. felt intimidated. We cannot question that without calling them a liar.

The OP then asked if he was correct in his interpretation of the law.

Why the subsequent vitriol, assumptions and personal biases or ignorance? Or in your case, Bass Reeves, personal insults - "pig ignorant".

If you cannot address the questions asked about the law regarding photography posed by the OP, I suggest you go somewhere else on the forum. I am sure there are darker corners where you will be more comfortable. This forum is about photography (painting with light).

89 members of An Gardai have lost there life serving this state.

The OP has never stated his purpose in taking the photograph even though asked

If it was for news journalism or for to make a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman or a senior office I have no problem

Ido have a problem with posting of pictures and videos of people doing there jobs in a public area with the object of harassing, intimidating, publicly identifying or shaming them.

I conceed on my first post the Garda was incorrect in his choice of wording to Snowflake.

The Garda are perfectly entitled to check on anyone trying to prevent or obstruct them in the line of there duty. SF are not yet in power.

It's immaterial on what forum a thread is based in on Boards it's open for discussion. No discussion is closed the complete issue is open to discussion.

Slava Ukrainii

How does taking a photo obstruct them in their duty?

• Advertisement

Interferes with their train of thought for one. Can interrupt their work and possibly encroach in the space they require to do their job. A phone can also record a private conversation/interaction which is absolutely no business of the person holding it. As I said before it’s scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

89 members of An Gardai have lost there life serving this state - A very emotive but true statement. However, it has nothing to do with the questions raised in the OP. This is a classical tactic taught to politicians, in order to avoid awkward questions. So please don't use it.

The OP has never stated his purpose in taking the photograph even though asked; Because he was not discussing this, he was asking whether he was correct in his interpretation of the law. If you wish to raise another issue or topic, other than the one raised by the OP (and not one imagined or inferred by others), then open another thread, state your position, and be prepared to discuss.

If it was for news journalism or for to make a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman or a senior office I have no problem - Irrelevant, see above.

Ido have a problem with posting of pictures and videos of people doing there jobs in a public area with the object of harassing, intimidating, publicly identifying or shaming them - Again, irrelevant. The OP did not infer or take this position. You interpreted it as such. I may even agree with the sentiments you express, but that is not the subject of this thread.

I concede on my first post the Garda was incorrect in his choice of wording to Snowflake. Partially correct. The Gardai were incorrect or correct. Stop vacillating. Also, the term Snowflake is derogatory and adds no value to the discussion as it it purely a personal opinion. For example, I could consider your response that of a snowflake (which would be an invalid assumption, as I do not know you, just as I assume you do not know the OP).

The Garda are perfectly entitled to check on anyone trying to prevent or obstruct them in the line of there duty. SF are not yet in power. That is partially correct. Firstly, the opening post gives no information which would allow you to definitively assume that the OP was in any way obstructing the Gardai in the execution of their duty (this is a claim made by many Gardai who do not want their modus operandi to be observed and documented). The fact that SF are not in power is irrelevant and your mention of it is more a reflection of your political bias than a valid comment. A more relevant statement is that we do not live in a police state, yet!

It's immaterial on what forum a thread is based in on Boards it's open for discussion. No discussion is closed the complete issue is open to discussion. It is true that discussion is not censored on boards.ie - long may it remain so. However, discussions and threads are separated onto various threads by moderators to ensure that they are available to all, under the appropriate categorisation. And areas of interest. The OP asked a question about the legality of certain actions in relation to photography. In the Photography forum. Where the discussion should remain about photography. If you feel aggrieved about this you should report the posts to a moderator.

But in the meantime, lets leave this forum for discussions of issues about photography, and not personal political or societal beliefs.

And above all, lets keep personal insults out of it.

Hahaha and you had to post under a new account.

No but I get quite suspicious of why people constantly change accounts to post things. I find it odd.

I think you’re the one with the problem, not the people you’re calling snowflakes. It’s funnier again that you’re talking at me, who would be the least snowflake type person imaginable.

i am simply saying that to assert its unfair the garda wasn’t impressed & the OP’s attitude is not a poor one is ridiculous. A lot of people would be unimpressed by his carry on. But worse than that rather than just explain why they took the photo they began to get arsey about it.

The fact is both sides were at some level of fault. But what’s laughable is OP wants to detail all of the Garda’s while refusing to acknowledge their own faults in the situation & moreover refuse to even acknowledge the potential let alone reasons why one may be a bit pissed off they had their picture snapped by a random. Who then proceeded to act like a bit of a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭dontmindme

a private conversation/interactionthat's happening in public...jesus wept

• Advertisement

not sure if the username does or does not check out...were you the source of all this trouble today, because other than that your post makes zero sense? Anyone at any minute of any day is free to take anyone's picture in public and stick it up on social media with any sort of caption they like. Scary times!! 😲

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement