Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Modem Lan IP address change - anyone help? - Virign certainly can't - already in IPV4

• 06-10-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

The technical support for broadband at Virgin appears to be absolutely horrendous - beyond words.

I am trying to change the default Lan IP address of the virgin hub but I when chose the option, located at advanced>dhcp settings it fails and returns error:

>The starting IP address you have entered is used for other functions of the Hub 2.0. Please enter another (nothing works).

Have called Virgin many many times and they have no-one who even understands the issue let alone can assist.

Anyone else encounter similar? I remember previously a virgin tech sorting out the problem but now unfortunately they have no one there assisting with anything remotely technical past "have you rebooted it, etc". Really pathetic support.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I know this doesn't directly address your issue, but you may want to consider bridging the hub, by putting it into modem mode and using a proper router instead. These VM hubs are simply trash for even basic functionality, and aren't worth fighting with, and they're not going to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

It's what i want to do but unfortunately in bridge mode it appears to bizarrely keep its 192.168.0.1 and unfortunately i have a Hikvision intercom and cctv system using fixed IP's in that subnet so my main router and gateway needs to have that subnet/ip (x.x.0.1) as i cannot easily reconfigure the ip setting for the hik intercom and cctv as i didnt set them up (dont' have passwords etc).

so when i put it into bridge mode it clashed with my proper router

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

When I bridged mine, it kept the interface on 192.168.100.1 instead, and gave up the 192.168.0.x range as it should. The VM docs all say it should behave like that. In my case, the Hub V2 (number differently in other markets), I can't find anything to alter this.

I've got the white virgin and it goes to 100.1 - agree - this one stays at 192.168.0.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sounds like it didn't bridge properly if it's still on 0.1. Did you use the Modem mode option on the left to bridge?

If bridged, you shouldn't even have the DHCP options available to you as shown below from mine. Advanced settings only has the Light ring option and network stats.

• Advertisement

It's available at both addresses 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.100.1 while in modem mode

modem mode appears to work (if my router is 192.168.1.1 for example but it keeps both addresses!!!!???

The hub the ui page is available at both 192.168.0.1 and on 192.168.100.1

I've clear browsers etc to double check and done a lan scan on x.x.0.1 and it finds the device there after bridge (modem) mode

i can ping the device at both ip addresses

btw

it is bridged and dhcp options are off but modem still on 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.100.1

available at both ip addresses

Definitely not bridged properly in that case. After it's bridged you shouldn't see it on 192.168.0.1 at all. I'd try a hard reset of the modem (pin in the reset button for 30 seconds) and then try bridging it again.

but before its bridged you cannot see it on 192.168.100.1

after its bridge (modem mode) you can see it on 192.168.100.1 only 192.168.0.1

Just reset - tried modem mode again - same thing - even my phone connects to its Wi-Fi when it's modem mode (and tells me Wi-Fi is off) so definitely faulty modem or else virgin have some setting applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Yeah, modem mode should disable wifi and all that. It would be giving out public IP's over wifi if it was doing that.

Did you try doing a reset and then modem mode?

yeah thats what its doing re addresses

weird range 109.255.96.1 is listed a gateway and my phone as 109.255.96.213

did couple resets

but they are not taking as when modem comes back up its only available on 192.168.100.1

That's a public IP. If it's only on 192.168.100.1 then it should be bridged correctly. Strange about the Wi-Fi though.

It's not working as it should be, wifi stays on and 192.168.0.1 stays pingable and reachable on lan even when modem mode claims its engaged and now after a factory reset the only ip address where one can log in is 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 is reachable after factory reset but when you try to log in its goes into welcome loop

however, one can log in on 192.168.100.1

- I do this all the time for work, never had this issue -

have a feeling virgin are restricting something

e

Sorry, I thought you said it was only on 192.168.100.1. Definitely something wrong there but I’d expect Virgin to say that they don’t support modem mode so get lost, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Try and push them for a v3 one.

You probably can override the gui though and set what you like.

I did it before on a v3, the validation is client side, so you can craft a few curl commands and set what you like.

It's flakey though, i remember it it locking me out after a few weeks or months. I cracked eventually and set it to modem mode and I've had it that way for years now.

You can either change the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet to whatever you want OR change the modem IP to something other than .1

Set your main router then to .1 and have it as the DHCP server.

Push support for a v3 though. The v3 is not exactly new, I've had once since 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

What are you bridging to?

Is there a chance you have another router on the network that is at 192.168.0.1 and using the same Wifi SSID?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

OP has a point, Went and checked my hub 2 (in Modem Mode) and it seems accessible from 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1

Not sure about the wireless networks still being on though.

Advertisement