Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to issue folio PRA/Land Direct

Options
  • 05-10-2022 10:59am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to buy a place before rates go up in a few weeks and waiting on this. It was set to "mapped" over a month ago but still nothing, how long usually does it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It was originally registered as a warehouse/offices by the original owner, then bought and changed to two houses, so it's being split and changed to the name of the developer before being sold to me.

I thought mapped was the final stage and at that stage it was done apart from issuing folio, so wondering why it is taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

I know someone who works in the PRA and there's a major backlog with mapping related work as a result of covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Hi Tar,

It's not always necessary to have the previous vendor's title fully registered before a sale closes.

Sometimes in cases like this, the vendor's solicitor will give copies of his client's application for registration to the purchaser's solicitor. If the purchaser's solicitor considers that that application is in order and that nothing will prevent the completion of the registration then he/she might be willing to go ahead and close the sale if the vendor and his solicitor gives an undertaking to deal with any land registry queries arising in the registration of the vendor's title.

At closing the vendor would sign the deed as "the person entitled to be registered as owner of the folio" and the purchaser's solicitor would lodge this deed in the land registry and request that it be linked to the vendors registration application.

This process is usually fine if the title is straightforward and the purchaser is a cash buyer. If it is a commercial property and there is a bank (and a bank's solicitor involved) then it's unlikely the bank would release funds until the vendor's title is registered.

What you could do is log on to the land registry website. If you know the folio number you can carry out a search to find out the "dealing number" that the land registry has assigned to the vendor's application for registration. With that information you can call into the land registry and explain the urgency of having the vendor's title registered to the relevant official. Although the official wont be able to give you any specifics, divulge any information regarding the registration or tell you that they can expedite matters, they are generally decent people who will try help out if they can. They are very busy but as far as civil servants go they are hard working and competent. If the sale is very urgent for you it might be worth a try.

best of luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, quite annoying as if I don't get it for draw down in a few weeks my rates go up €150pm and I need to leave my apartment and so on.

Thanks for the help stellamere! Perhaps I can call in, it's not commercial but it is with a bank and the impression I got from my solicitor is that it needs to be done for draw down to be allowed. I have to imagine they are very busy! I have the folio number and can see the application number, actually when I went to check it now it had changed from "mapped" to "queried" so perhaps somebody is looking at it and asked the solicitor something today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

No Worries at all. It appears that they have actioned your application at your request, which is good news. They are normally pretty sound in the land registry.

"Queried" status means that the mapping dept., having checked your application, have raised a query, possibly a mapping one. Hopefully this query can be dealt with quickly by the applicant's solicitor and it should proceed to completion shortly thereafter, as mapping is usually the final part of the registration process.

Cheers, the solicitor finally took a look at it today (a week later!), said it was something simple and hopefully will be done shortly, let's see!

They had a simple query and they still haven't issued it in a week sigh.

The fact it was a warehouse/office is a planning issue and nothing to do with registration. Was it registered in the Land Registry?

"It was originally registered"

• Advertisement

Advertisement