Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER following solar install

• 05-10-2022 7:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Folks if anyone know a decent BER accessor that will serve South Dublin. Was hard to find the first time but had someone call over and carry out the assessment, have been chasing them over the past 2 weeks for an update (asking if they needed any other info) and they finally came back yesterday to apologise and say they couldn’t do it, they couldn’t figure out the heat pump !!!!!!! At all! Said they’d no experience doing calcs!

So much for being on the approved list on the SEAI site. I had rang 3 off that who told me they weren’t doing it anymore. I had put request up on Onlinetradesman and Bercert.com too and no replies (mad!!!)

Anyway, I’d rather not have another few weeks wasted, at this rate it will affect the grant. . If anyone has a contact can you please DM me. Much appreciated, Hick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Thanks to @Gerry and @yannakis for the DMs. If anyone else has recommendations please do share via DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭cobham

I am also looking for a BER accessor for Dublin south area post solar installation. Please PM me thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

@Gerry @yannakis can you please DM me names also, need BER for PV grant

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

I'd appreciate the lead on this one as well. If someone can PM the contact that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I have used a BER assessor for a Retrofit and a recent PV install.

I can recommend them highly. Very engaged with renewable energy and pretty fast with a cert.

You can PM me for details of the company if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What's the going rate for a simple post solar BER? I've just had mine, so I'm expecting to be disappointed when I hear I overpaid.

Also, what's the process? Solar grant applied for online. Solar installed. Ber got. What next? What progresses the grant further? Do the installers need to add their piece to the grant application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Galego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I paid 260 after shopping around. BER is completely and utterly worthless to me. I wouldnt get it except it's a requirement for the grant. I wanted the cheapest possible box ticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Galego

I know it is a total non-sense but it is NOT completely useless to be honest. Many companies offer discounts based on the BER rating of your house. Banks, House Insurances, to name few, plus only has a 10 year lifespan which may increase the value of your house were you to sell it.

My 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolutely useless to me, that's 260 quid I didnt need to or want to spend. My house had a valid BER, we're less than a year living here. No intention of selling - if I were I wouldnt be plowing money into PV on the house that I can't take with me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cool. Paid €250 for ours. Got a couple of quotes, but highest was €380! No interest in selling, and basically just wanted a box ticked to get the grant. The houses BER is a slight disaster though. Bought the house dry lined, but zero documentation could be found for it, nor the company that did it contacted. Bought it without it, but basically means that dry lining means nothing for the BER assessor. Curious what we'll get though. I think we were E when we bought the place, but new boiler, new front door, stove in place of open fire, solar, attic insulation, smart theromstatic heating, LEDs everywhere. So hoping it at least gets better 🤣

Played with this before also. No idea how inaccurate it is:

http://www.poulaphuca.com/ROI/berfuncalculator/berfuncalculator.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Anyone know what kind of improvement you'd typically see from installing solar?

I know that's a fairly open question, but even a rough idea of how they calculate it would be good to know

House is A3 rated so it doesn't really make any difference

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

We went from A3 to A1, with a negative carbon footprint.

(This is with a 5.85kW array)

The DEAP calculation is a little weird, as it's based on stated panel capacity, but not on inverter output, which is what ESB use on the NC6 for the MEC value, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, we'll probably go to A1 as well since our array will be similar size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

Our BER from 2010 is a G - which is bottom of the table. Done some work since but nothing to make top of the league table. This little 80 year old ex Dublin Corporation '2 up, 2 down' will never be an A. Not unless I sunk lotto money into it. Am deffo jealous of ye B and A students :)

Interesting little factoid I heard recently is that the majority of houses in the UK were built in the last 100 years

In other words, there's a hell of a lot of old houses out there with terrible insulation

I'm guessing the situation is similar here but possibly not quite as old, given the large scale move towards cities happened later here

But it's really something that needs to be addressed. As you said there's no way to economically take a G rated house up to A rating. And I think NZEB will be totally out the window for many existing houses

So there needs to be a decision to either provide grants to start buying up estates en mass and demolishing and rebuilding them

As horrendously totalitarian the second method is, I think it would be better from an environmental standpoint. You could use it in Dublin as an opportunity to increase density and install proper infrastructure

They did something along those lines in Athens after WWII, where the government would buy blocks of houses and build apartments in their place. The residents were basically given an apartment on top of some money, which worked out pretty well for them as they ended up with some valuable property

Of course, it'd never work here with our demented property market, too many investment funds looking for their next billion

We have a 1934 Terraced house in Dublin 8, did a deep retrofit, and brought it to A1, so I wouldn't rule anything out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow. Fair play. I was being a bit toungue in cheek. We would need the deep retro ye gave it. But I did think high As wouldn't be possible. Great for ye.

Out of curiosity, any numbers on the change in heating costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Looking for a BER report for a post solar install mysel also. In Dublin.

Can someone PM me some recommendations too please.

Just looking for the report to submit to the SEAI for the grant. Someone who doesn't charge an arm and a leg and can reliably get it done with the minimum of fuss/delay.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I got Declan Diamond out recently, found him very good, and reasonably priced,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭cobham

I have just booked one for next week after making contact today. I could PM his details? It will take an hour and no help to have had one done about 8 yrs ago as standards/rules changed about 2 years ago. Hopefully it will come up as slightly better with solar added recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭lardarse

Also looking for BER assessor for the wexford area, any recommendations would be most welcome.

Advertisement