Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet winter tyres

Options
  • 04-10-2022 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm using Continental Gatorskins because I've found them great on **** roads for preventing punctures. Obviously found out the hard way twice today on the way home from work there absolutely crap in heavy rain when it comes to grip!

Lost the back end twice in quick succession lucky I wasn't on the road!

So great more bloody money and another issue I have to sort now unless I want to end up under a car somewhere ha!

Very annoying cause haven't had this issue before but couldn't relax the rest of way back after knowing I could go at any time.

Any recommendations on decent wet weather tires that can he easily got and won't cost fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

I run conti GP5000 myself but know quite a few lads that use conti 4 seasons.

According to cycling news the best tires for wet weather commuting are the Schwalbe Durano Plus Addix.

I've only used their marathon Plus on my e-bike so I can't speak for the above tires unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

For real budget tyres I rode two winters on Michelin Lithions 2 and 3 versions. I found them more than good value for money & will get a set once the current ones that came with new winter bike wear out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use a set of hutchinson fusion 5 all season tyres, haven't found reason to fault them yet. easy on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Continue GP5000’s for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The GP5000s seem to get brilliant reviews nearly everywhere I've looked.

Pricey on cycle superstore wonder would be safe buying from Amazon etc.

I assume your paying per tyre ? I can't remember which way I bought them previously.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=131141

Buy them online CRC, wiggle, Mantel, Bike24 or alltricks usually have them a good bit cheaper than your local bike shop

I watch the special offers on the various bike websites and usually can pick up a pair of Gp5000 and tubes for €85.00. Wouldn't pay circa €70 for 1 in CSS. Mantel have been good for this type of offer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pirelli p7 sport are a decent winter tyre. Cheap too comparatively speaking. A bit sluggish but used them a bit last year no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭standardg60

Funny that the Gatorskins were next up in that link!

Surely in wet weather thread presence for water displacement is king, so the more the merrier.

• Advertisement

I've had them about a year I think happy enough with them but don't feel confident on them after today with how easy I lost control of the back wheel. The first time I was on a path next to shops heading towards crossing and slide went straight off bike. Second time was literally moving away from where fell first time.

It's a slippy area in heavy rain but weird cause never had problem with it before.

But either way I don't feel good about trusting them for whole winter ahead if there gonna slide that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wasn't recommending them, they do say they're poor in the wet, which is expected as they're basically slicks.

Just thought it was funny :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

slicks? tyre tread on road bike tyres makes zero difference to grip.

I know was just explaining the reason I'm looking for a change. There great tyres just not for winter ha.

Seeing a lot of comments that the GP 5000s are very hard to fit. I know the Gatorskins where tough enough. Any comment on what they where like for people who have them?

just checked, and unsurprisingly schwalbe state that tread on a road bike tyre can lessen grip. i think it was schwalbe who admitted that the only reason they put tread on road bike tyres was because it's what customers expect.

yep they can be hard to fit alright. it depends on what wheels your fitting them to. I have them on Campag Zonda's, Mavic Ksyrium and Fulcrum racing Quatto carbon rims. On the zonda's ive to use levers to remove them, but on the others i can remove/fit with hands only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah as 07Lapierre says they can be a pain on some rims, but I’d say they’re easier than hardshell gatorskins for sure.

I’ve snapped a couple of tyre levers over the years changing tubes on my aul lads bike because he insists on using them.

• Advertisement

There just the standard wheels that came with the bike https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=159661

I'll probably get those tyres and see how get on with fitting them if have issues I'll drop into bike shop.

As always lads thanks for the advice!

Just seen this on Amazon are these same tyres?

Continental Grand Prix 5000 Performance Road Bike Tire https://amzn.eu/d/hYcMOJS

Bought them anyway coming tomorrow so see how I get on!

Post edited by How Soon Is Now on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I use the GP5000S. Pricey for a commuter tyre but they are fast and no issues and I'm too lazy to change them. The first batch or two had issues but the latest pair are doing great and will last a year of commuting. Grip is good and as MB said, read on a road bike if to make you feel good, not for any real purpose. If you want more grip, let some air out (risk of puncture increases though).

Hard to fit, and can be a dose out on the road if you flat. I often need s second person to finish the job. But I've been running GP 5000s for over a year and had just one puncture. They are a great tyre and worth the hassle for fitting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really does depend on the wheel though, once I slide the bead into the centre, on one set of wheels I can do it by hand, on the other I have to use a tyre lever to pop it over. I've found them no more difficult than gatorskins.

So cycled in again this morning was lashing down all morning and I swear no grip full braking just before the lights and bike wasn't fully stopping just slowing down.

Tested the breaks there fine no problem **** tyres on very wet road lethal. Just gonna have to try avoid certain surfaces coming home until I can sort the tyres cause they might as well be made of glass in that weather ffs.

Having absolutely no luck with anything in general atm so I hope the new ones just go on grand and at least fix's this issue never mind the rest ha!

you were locking your wheels under braking?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

GP5000 are racing tyres, I think they are way too expensive and flimsy for winter training, Gatorskins are lethal in the wet. I use Conti Grand Pix, they are much cheaper and more robust, but they have the chilli compound as the 5000's so good grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My question is are they for purely commuting or for other rides too?

I've used marathon plus for years commuting - bullet proof puncture wise, and I'm aware of their limitations in the wet grip wise. I generally wouldn't be pushing the corners with two pannier bags anyway. However, they suck the joy out of weekend spins if it's a dual purpose bike.

fwiw I've used GP All Seasons for 5 or 6 years at this stage for my winter tyres. A bit more puncture protection than GP5000 (and 4000's before them), compound designed for cooler weather, and not too much of weight and ride compromise. Years I haven't been racing, I've just used them year round tbh.

Advertisement