Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do GAA people reference each sport as GAA instead of "Gaelic Football" or "Hurling"

Options
  • 04-10-2022 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭

Its like the way the DUP refer to the 6 counties as "Ulster". Artificially making it sound bigger than it is. Can someone help me to get inside the heads of these people and their logic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Usually Gaelic football fans just call their code GAA, Hurling fans call theirs Hurling.

If I see a thread title on the Boards GAA with GAA included it's usually or almost always about Gaelic Football.

Some of us did call for a separate forum for Hurling, but this was denied, strange as we don't have other sports all mixed together in one thread.

I would put all American sports together in one forum myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dont waste your time trying to get into the heads of others or explain their logic. Spend your time on more productive pursuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think you have got it the wrong way around OP.

People who are into gaelic games refer to the sports as gaelic football or hurling respectively when speaking about them.

I find it's people who are not into gaelic games who come out with things like 'Do you play GAA?' or even worse 'Do you play gah?'.

Advertisement