Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 6 November 2022

Options
  • 04-10-2022 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is doing the NYC marathon next month? Or if any past entrants have any tips / experience to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Myself and two training buddies running. Deferred from 2020 and really looking forward to it. A few more quality session to do and easy running otherwise. Have you sorted out your transport to the start and if you are dropping a bag at the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 8outof10

Hey there

resting up after an ankle twist so my expectations have lessened but in a way embracing the opportunity alot more

On transportation to start, working on it, on the bag drop, wont be leaving a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoy folks - it's a brilliant event - huge really. Can be a bit overwhelming. It's a very early start with the bus rides to the start etc so if you're doing all that just make sure you can get breakfast early enough in your hotel/accomodation. We had to arrange our own instant oatmeal etc which isn't hard to organise but important if you want a successful day. Most hotels will give you the hot water at least! If getting the buses out to Staten Island, pay attention to the recommended arrival times at the pickup spots etc.

The race itself is tough - the hardest part of the course is probably the Queensboro bridge in mile 15 so the race rewards a conservative start.

Might get a few more snippets from my report from the 2018 version, which is here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057219401/bq-or-bust/p104

It's an incredible experience. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

23 degrees forecast for lunchtime Sunday, wow.

Years ago when I took part there were fears for sub zero temps at the start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

It's on Eurosport 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

its funny how elites just dump their bottles anywhere were everyone else is told to dump into bins or area at water zones

Do Nascimento pulls in for a pits stop while leading

Feck, he is down..And then the car cuts up the leader Chebet..

He’s in a bad way on ground

• Advertisement

Not sure Chebet will hold out

Blue line seems to be on the wide side on corners

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Looked like a very tough race, scary video of the leader collapsing. Hopefully he is okay.

Someone I know did Chicago a few weeks ago in 2'57 & 3'37 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

He has form for it, good exposure for him though, was surprised to see him last there so long as I switched over and back earlier on.

Cant imagine running a marathon in over 20 degrees with that added humidity, seems to have broken there so the rain would be welcome.

Regards temperature, I only did one in summer which turned out when looking back on wunderground to only have been 13 in Cork in June, Dublin last week and 2014 probably the warmest I've experienced at 16 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 8outof10

Hi All,

Now that I am back (I stayed 10 days in total), I thought I would let you know briefly how I got on.

It was a surreal experience, the weather (23 degrees) and the humidity made it the most challenging race I have done. But I finished and am proud of that.

It was a long day. Subway, ferry, bus, waiting area, luckily from my side it was well organised and somewhat enjoyable. I have heard stories of people getting stuck for hours at the Staten Island ferry waiting for the buses, and in that heat it would not have been enjoyable.

Nerves did hit me 15 minutes before I was due to start, the long wait (nearly 3 years) to do this and hopes, dreams, expectations all came rushing in those few moments. Luckily the start on top of the bridge helped calm me down and I ran a fairly good consistent race. If it was a few degrees cooler, I definitely feel I could have done a better time but thats not a negative, I am delighted with how I was feeling during my run and embraced the noise, views, just everything during the race.

The only negatives I experienced would be typical race ones, banana skins in middle of the road, shortage of some water stations, the stickiness in parts due to the gatorade, but not a negative experience that would put me off the event.

All in all, I have my medal, a good time that I am proud of given conditions and some bling to wear 😃

Applications for 2023 open next Wednesday.

I wouldn't mind getting a spot, so if you wouldn't all mind, not applying, that would be great. Thanks 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Got my reminder email the other day to submit my registration for 2023 tomorrow on the basis of my 2020 deferred entry

Life has changed somewhat since i entered the ill-fated 2020 NYC marathon (two children...) but hoping ill be this November. Best of luck to anyone applying tomorrow!

Sitting in a queue for almost an hour, just to enter the lottery.

No idea why I'm persevering. The lottery is open for 2 weeks

Has anyone got this to work?

When I get to the payment page it just says transaction failed.

• Advertisement

I will do it the weekend, hopefully the bugs will be ironed out by then.

It was actually my fault all along I was putting in the wrong CV2 number.

Yeah, I registered last night. Wonder what the success rate is like? Less than 1%?

The official website said in 2020 you had a 2.3% chance, that may have been covid affected.

My friend just had the money debited from his account looks like I've missed out!

I've seen tweets from people saying that money just left their account, but the most recent is only 5 minutes ago.

I doubt the money gets taken from everyone's account at the exact same time.

I reckoned I was out anyway due to Bank of Ireland canceling the $1 test amount and blocking my card. I was expecting an email saying it was rejected though and to try another card.

Still not received an email.

Don't expect to get a spot, but my God, I'm constantly checking my emails

• Advertisement

Advertisement