Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty Times

Options
  • 02-10-2022 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got called for Jury Duty in Dublin. Last time I did this, I was in at the morning. This time I'm to attend in the afternoon.

Is this normal, do they stagger times?

Just curious about it. No issue doing it of course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The judge who is dealing with the list of upcoming jury trials could be tied up with other cases on that morning and they want to empanel a jury in the afternoon, probably to quick start a trial the following morning. When you're actually on a jury and the trial is being adjourned for the day, the judge will sometimes give you a later start time for the next day, again because he/she has some cases listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

It used to be the case that everyone turned up first thing in the morning. I suspect this is a covid change to limit the numbers in the room together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Cheers all. I thought this might be it or the Judge is tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Additional jury duty questions - I got called for jury duty, but letter sent to my parents house in a different county to attend in a different county. I assume once I write back and let them know, I will not be called to attend?

Secondly - is somebody who works for a law firm but who is not a solicitor considered ‘legal staff’ and therefore exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

They use the electoral register. Are you still on the electoral register at home?

It wouldn't be grounds for not attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Thanks.

I am on the electoral register at my own address - but also I get voting cards to my old address despite taking action to change it a million times (forms and phone calls) and being promised over the phone it was sorted. My deceased father gets TWO voting cards in the same name (his) to the family home address too - despite us trying to remove it for nearly 20 years. Typical public sector!

I replied to the dury duty letter where you are given the option to say you are ineligible, they advise they will notify you to confirm if you are excused or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

Additional question, sorry it's months later.

1. If you're sworn in as a juror in the District Court, when is the case heard?
    2. How do Circuit Court and Central Criminal Court juries get empanelled? I.e. could I get a summons one day saying come up to Dublin?
    3. If you're not selected as a juror on day 1, how many more days will that typically ask you to come back?

Thanks

1. There are no jury trials in the District Court, the judge hears the evidence and makes a decision.
    2. A panel is called for service and 12 people are selected at a time for a jury. When the 12 are sworn in, they could be sent away to a trial in Court no. xx and they might empanel another jury from the remaining panel there and then. I'm not aware that the Central Criminal Court calls people from outside Dublin.
    3. Someone else with recent experience might answer that question.

On point 3, generally you'll be asked back until Thursday unless there's a real lack of cases

Thanks guys. And when the jury service is over, whether you've been picked as a juror, or been challenged or rejected by either side, or not even had your name drawn, how long is it before you might get another summons? Is there a minimum time?

• Advertisement

I don't think there's a minimum if you don't get picked.

I think it's three or four years if you do get picked. Depending on the case that minimum could be increased.

Being called for jury service is essentially a lottery. I was called up over 10 years ago, haven't heard from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And if you're not in (the electoral register), you can't win - which is an awful shame, a deterrent to participating in democracy.

You'd think they could draw from broader sources for jury duty, including Revenue and Social Protection client lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thanks all; in the end all the cases were either dropped by the prosecution or pleaded (pled?) guilty to. The judge apologised and sent us all home!

Advertisement