Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lambs born in Autumn (unintentionally)

Options
  • 02-10-2022 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

We've never seen anything like this before, where a handful of our ewes have lambed between the end of August and October of this year. Has anyone here experienced this or would know why it happened?

Background: My father has been sheep farming his entire life and has never seen it. We're lowland farmers in Kerry.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya we had this happen a few years. Now we just keep the rams well away for the non breeding part of the year. I take it they had lambs in early spring too? It must me a sign your ewes were in good condition after tut first time. They’ll be a nice little money earner in January or February when there’s nothing else coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

There could be a drop of dorset or some off season breeding in them maybe, but as farraway said they must have been in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We used to call them "cuckoo lambs". They usually were conceived about the time the cuckoo arrives.

Advertisement