Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email

• 01-10-2022 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

Please delete

Comments

that’s an incredibly stupid thing to do , not sure of the legalities of it , but if you have access to someone’s email the identity theft possibilities are endless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This has to be a wind up.

Why would anyone agree to that, then tell the internet.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's very likely against your department policies. Can you view those online?

Delete that account tell them it stopped working. Never mention it again.

• Advertisement

You can delete the account off your browser or email client.

If you don't have permission then IT set it up and you should ask them to delete it, and if they refuse then raise the issue with organisation security officer.

Also ask your old job to disable that account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No wonder that organisation got hacked!

OP, it's appalling laziness on your manager's part. Who knows what else they're not doing. Start looking for another job immediately. (In know you're only just in the door - but I'm not kidding.)

It's very weird to be asked to do that.

It's very weird to agree to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not the first time I've heard of this happening in the public sector. Bad management being cheap. One reason is management want customers to see what they think is the same person replying to them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

I’m retired from the public sector but when I was working up to 2017 and not everybody below Grade 4 got their own email address and only had access to the generic location email which was best for general public interface but not for interdepartmental dealings which occasionally might be personalised, as in when communicating with HR. The reason given, of course, was limitation on IT budget.

But, I never heard of recycling of individual named emails, the email / VPN would be nullified and another set up for next employee. To reuse a named email is wrong on every level.

One thing puzzles me, did the last employee not sign out of their account before leaving or how would a new employee have ready access to account, password etc. After an employee leaves, HR would be responsible for authorising IT to delete the account. It would be up to the individual employee leaving to forward any emails re unfinished business to a manager or colleague, but of course there would be instances of people leaving unexpectedly due to incapacity etc.

That logic might apply in the private sector. But I've never seen anyone in the public sector try to be associated (responsible) for anything. Email ping pong ad infinitum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is more common than youd think.

Manager is busy/away, they need someone to fill te position in a rush. Nobody knows how to create new email accounts or they dont have access so ah shur that will do for now just pretend to be the other person

I've never seen anyone "pretend" to be someone else. That would be super weird.

I have seen people use someone else email to email support to get their email fixed. But I could count the number of times on one hand over many years in IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Accounts are typically de-activated, never deleted. If they were deleted, we would lose the trail of who did what transactions.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It depends on what particular application we're talking about. Most organisations are starting to implement proper retention policies to ensure they comply with GDPR. The oul 'Let's keep everything possible, just in case' isn't a valid retention policy. Organisations need to be deleting mailboxes of departed staff, and even old data in mailboxes of current staff to comply with GDPR.

Advertisement