Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a car without NCT

• 01-10-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I am in dire need of a new car and want to privately sell my current car to offset the cost of the new one. However, the NCT will expire in 2 weeks and because of the backlog, the earliest appointment I could get was February 2023.

I've never sold a car without an NCT before and unsure if I can?

Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Or course you can. As long as you describe it accurately, you can sell nearly anything. However, a car with a fresh NCT is worth a lot more than one with no NCT. It would be viewed as possibly scrap and maybe that is why you didn't NCT it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can sell without NCT but won't get as much for it as you would with a new test.

I expect you are looking up the website, you can call them and you will get a date earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

If you call or email nct they'll give you a date in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes you can but you’ll need to knock a bit off the price on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you check the NCT booking website every night at around 10pm or 11pm then you might find an avaliable slot as this is usually the time they release the daily cancellations back into the system. Even if you do the NCT and the car fails, having the fail sheet will be more reassuring and less risky to a potential buyer than the unknown of not having done the test. Means you will get more for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Dire need of a new car? What’s wrong with your current one?

They have a waiting list now you don’t even have to check the site every night. I rang them and they took my details and sent me a text 2 weeks later for a test a week later .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sea2summit

Appreciate the advice and info everyone!

Sent an email this afternoon enquiring about an earlier test and will also check the website between 10 and 11 tonight to check re: cancellations!

There's nothing physically wrong with the car, it's served me well for the last 2 years and I haven't had any issues with it considering it's a 2003 Golf - I just want an upgrade as I have the finances to support a newer car and model!

Advertisement