Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat Arris box hardrive error

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭muffinhead

In the UK you have up to 6 years to claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if you can prove the item was inherently faulty. Under this legislation you'd be entitled to either a repair, replacement or (partial) refund, depending on the age of the item.

I successfully made a claim from a UK retailer for an electrical product that became faulty after 4 years of owning it by quoting this legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The 6 years is there for somone one who wants to use the courts if the trader does not play ball. The normal limit is 6 months, and the legislation assumes that the fault was not inherent if not reported before then.

In your case did the retailer ask for proof and accept it, or just gave a goodwill gesture?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very few people would still have a receipt after so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Initially the retailer asked me to obtain an independent report confirming the fault was not from misuse. However the manufacturer had issued a statement acknowledging that a number of customers had experienced the same fault so I sent a copy of this to the retailer which they accepted instead.

Emailed Freesat over weekend, got this reply today:

Thank you for contacting Freesat with your enquiry.

You would of needed to run a full factory reset in attempt to clear the hard drive and rectify the issue. As you have dissembled the unit to repair it yourself we cannot offer any assistance on the matter as this automatically makes the unit void.

I apologise we could not be of more help on this occasion.

I replied to say I have done the full factory reset several times, to no avail, hence the reason for me changing out the hdd. I got this reply:

Thank you for contacting Freesat with your enquiry.

I cannot offer anymore assistance on the matter. I would recommend purchasing a new unit if you'd prefer.

That's me stuck with this annoying yoke .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Spn744

I emailed but I’ve never opened the box and they’re sending a returns label via email. Don’t think they’ll do a return when they open it and see it’s an older box but fingers crossed.

Did you break a seal when opening the box? You could email from a different address and name such a partner or family member and just crack on daft that you’re unfamiliar with technology and you never opened it and wouldn’t even know how if prompted when they have the box.

A guide to restore that Freesat emailed, it didn’t work for me but worth a shot for others.

“This sounds like there may be a hard drive fault here. To try to cure this and clear the hard drive, please first try a full factory reset via the mains. Just to make you aware that this reset will delete any recordings made.

To factory reset, just unplug the box from the mains. Then hold the power button on the top of the box down for 30 seconds. Once the 30 seconds is up, put the power back in whilst still holding the button down until you see the light on the box go from flashing blue to flashing red. You can then let go of the button and the box will reset itself.

Or you can factory reset via the settings. Just go to Home > Settings > System Settings > Box Reset > Factory Reset.”

My box reset but the message popped up again.

Yeah I am kinda resigned to just getting the message intermittently.

The box will eventually die. Same thing happened to me with coming and going but eventually it wouldn’t go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 phixer

Hi, I had this problem. I factory reset several times and each time it worked correctly for 24 hours. I was about to bin it when i realised that each time it failed it had automatically switched itself off during the night. In settings you can switch this OFF. I switched the auto shutdown off a month ago and the box is permanently ON blue light lit and the fault has not re-occurred. It seems this fault is connected to switch off switch on. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Worth a try.

Although I'd always prefer to shut the box into standby when not in use.

The idea of running a box permanently on just doesn't sit right.

So it would appear the act of putting it in standby is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

I also had this problem some time back. I had to remove the hard drive from the freesat box and format it in ext4. Has been working fine since then.

Surely the software on the Freesat box would format the drive in the correct format to begin with?

I'm not sure why but this is the only thing that worked for me. That was about 8 months ago now.

An update on the return of my Freesat box. I contacted them via email, stated the problem and then ran the diagnostic tests that didn’t help. I then provided a receipt that was within the 12 months, they required a screenshot of the Argos email receipt and don’t seem to have a way of cross referencing with the store. They then gave a Royal Mail pre paid return label to send it back (I live near the border) and once I sent the proof of postage they dispatched the new one on the same day before they even received the old box back! All of the above is required to have a friend or family member in the UK for a delivery address and access to a Royal Mail post office but happy to be not be out £220.

Might have to try this now, as my box has given up the ghost completely.

It is now giving the error every 15min or so of viewing, so basically unusable.

Also, it is not unheard of to have complete hard drive failure in these boxes. If removing and re-formatting the drive does not help, try a new 2.5" hard drive.

I have now tried 3 different hdds in mine. The original plus 2 extra ones.

All gave the same error.

I have not tried changing it out yet to see if it will stop this error appearing every 15min, but will at start of the week.

Failing that, I will just put my 15yr old Humax Foxsat back in. So much for new, higher quality boxes!

Advertisement