Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney flute problem

Options
  • 28-09-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, I recently moved into a house and have no idea of past use of the fireplaces, though I do know they had been used as I had to clean them out when I moved in. I’m going to get a chimney sweep in to clean them but in the dining room fireplace I noticed something strange and was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on it.

The dining room fireplace at one point was converted to gas but at some point this was disconnected and the previous tenant was lighting fuel burning fires in it regardless. I have attached two images. One image is the fireplace, the blue arrow is pointing to the main chimney opening and the yellow arrow points to what feels like a flat stepped ridge, one section of the ridge seems to be damaged and I can feel a type of insulation up there. The second photo shows this.

First of all, is this insulation and covering something that was put in perhaps when it was converted to gas? Or is it an original part of the chimney. I’ve used Fire cement stone in the past, could I just cover this up to patch it? Thanks for any help with this.

much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Possibly more a DIY issue than C&R? Anyway at first glance that looks like an old back boiler? OP is that flat section up the choke cast iron or steel by any chance.

I don't see any problem having an open fire in that. Just point up the bit that has been packed out with glass fiber insulation. It obviously doesn't get to hot at that point as the glass would have fused or gone white and brittle if it was too hot.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks very much for your reply, I’ll post in DIY. I don’t think anything is steel or cast iron. When you say ‘point up the bit’ do you mean filling in that section with fire cement?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yep, get a tub of fire cement in you local builders merchants and fill up that hole (point up).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 angel445

Some common chimney problems are: chimney obstruction, creosote, brickwork problems, chimney crown and cap, and cracks in the flue. Chimney obstruction or blockage is caused by numerous things, including obstruction of the chimney draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

I have been solving this problem for a very long time...thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement