Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Europro Tour to end

Options
  • 28-09-2022 9:46am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Announced this morning.

For anyone not familiar is sits below the Challenge Tour and top 5 in the order of merit used to get Challenge Tour cards.

Lot of very good golfers will be now in limbo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shame but when you think of it 23 official tours (ones that gain ranking points) is a lot for a relatively small global sport of professionals, think that was very much British Isles based and low profile

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis that’s rough - I suppose the National Tours for some countries is just as elusive for most really - the cost of travel etc for EuroPro Tour probably wasn’t feasible for some players

Likely then any grants/entries weren’t easily subsidised through lack of sponsorships etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Travel would not be as much, all domestic travel.

But I suppose it all adds up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Used to watch quite a bit of it on Sky years ago and had huge respect for the golfers on it. Was interesting to track the progress of a few guys that worked their way up the tours.

But it really was a slog and in some ways, was sad to watch it knowing that guys were playing for their dream and that only a tiny percentage would earn an opportunity, to have a chance of earning, some sort of living from the game.

Purses were approx 50k per event, winner 12k, top 10, 1k each. You were talking about hundreds for a cut. Can't imagine the sponsorships were crazy either.

In a way, rather than being placed into limbo, the majority of golfers on it may have been taken out of their limbo.

That said, it was a starting point for a few golfers that really made the big time.

https://europrotour.com/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The unfortunate thing for some though is that it likelt wasn't their limbo - It was something they enjoyed doing aside from their 'Pro Shop' job

The people taken out of their limbo it might be the reality check they need, to be blunt

• Advertisement

Very disappointing, wonder if the other tier 3 european tours will go the same way...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

I saw a comment on Twitterdom suggesting that a replacement was being lined up with a former Irish pro golfer involved. Dont know how near the mark that was though.

Advertisement