Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2022/2023 winter season thread

• 25-09-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

So it’s that time of year again when the nights are getting longer and it’s getting colder which is always a bit depressing, apart from the fact that skiing is getting nearer!

So what are everyone’s plans for the winter ahead? Where are you going? What new gear have you bought? Will there be good snow this season?

I’ve a couple of short trips booked and have new skis on the way so am getting excited already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

AH, am flipping and flopping from Zell to a chalet in France to Fiss to Kronplatz... I'm bamboozled. But I need to get my arse in gear and get it sorted. I've spent DAYS researching resorts. I'm humped over and goggle-eyed! We're a quite late booking this year - usually we're boxed off by May or so. I'm sure I'll find something 🤪.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Nothing booked yet but hope to get a few last minute trips in. Perhaps even to Maddness' favourite secret resorts if snow conditions are right ;)

I used to torture myself each year like this. But then I realised there's always next year (or later this year if you spoil yourself). So just find one resort that works and book it and you can try the other ones in future years. You'll get there in the end, if global warming doesn't get us all first. Don't be worried about the perfect trip this year.

• Advertisement

We are going to book Zell in the end. It's always the first place I look at that I end up going back to. Smaller group this year, but should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭winstonia

Haven't been in years. Is package still the way to go?

Sorry, I haven’t been on here in a while so was of no help…

I’ll be there in December for a few days myself. Also heading to Cortina for four days in March.

I'm hoping to get a short two night break at some stage too depending on conditions and available funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Last few trips have all been Diy 3-4 day stints, I'm contemplating going back to package or at minimum Sat-Sat diy. The idea of arriving in Dublin, and not worrying about car hire, making sure everything lines up, finding route, finding hotel etc is getting quite appealing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Going to Zell am See in mid January and Val Thorens in 8th April. Not sure what conditions will be like in April, I've never been that late in the season before. Anybody been there that late and was it ok?

Val thorens will be great in early April. The rest of the of the 3 Valleys may not be as good but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

The reality the last few years is this has become a bit more unpredictable. I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, there definitely will be snow but the condition it will be in can depend. You take your chances and just deal with the conditions when you get there, fingers crossed it's a bumper powder year 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yes fingers crossed, changed it to 1st of April. A weeks less melting. Got the area lift passes, so will give a look at the other two areas while we are there too.

So is anyone checking the webcams daily yet?

I'm going to Champoluc Friday week and am hoping the forecast for a good few dumps of snow stays that way. Checking the weather and webcams far too many times each day!

Was actually in Champoluc earlier this year, lovely little resort with nice slopes. Snow quantity wasn't great when we were there but the pistes held up well.

Regarding 2023, still nothing booked yet but the groups numbers are dwindling so diy will probably be the way we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

One diy drip for the family booked, diy normally much cheaper than package in my experience especially if flying to Menningen

i found accommodation very expensive in Austria this year, used it to justify going to lech as prices were not that much more expensive than other resorts

cant wait

Accommodation seems to be a lot more expensive everywhere since Covid unfortunately. I’d a few days in Les Deux Alpes in March and everything from the transfer to the hotel was far more expensive than a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Anyone ever skied in the German Bavarian Alps, any good?

I am a middle aged leisure skier who likes to party and meet new people. Think Alberto Tomba with blue eyes and a belly, not into snow boarding.

3-4 hours daily ski with a nice evening meal and refreshments and an outdoor hot tub on the roof stargazing kind of thing.

Hoping to meet a soul mate who looks a little bit like Gretta Scacchi, say when she was in her 30's anyway, although I will stretch to late 20's if you are mature enough and belch in my ear for fun coz it tickles.

Has anyone heard of or had any experience of we ski?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Decent dump of snow in most of the alps last two days, thankfully, early snow low down was washed away with rain.

Heading to grand massif in early feb, can't wait.i

Checking weather and webcams daily now.

Enjoy any time you get on the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Current view from our apartment in Trysil.

Can't figure out how to rotate, sorry!

I heard Norway got record breaking snow. Love the idea of skiing in unusual places, enjoy. Is it crazy money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sample sample sized but friend went, skiing was quite limited, it was more of a skihill as opposed to the French/Austrian expansive areas, booze was very, very expensive and there was no apres. They enjoyed the week but doubt they would hurry back.

We love it, this is our second year in a row there. It was plenty big enough for us, 81km of runs spread over 69 slopes and 32 lifts. Not sure I'd call that a "ski hill".

Food and drink is eye-wateringly expensive alright and they don't do aprés but that doesn't bother me in the least as I've absolutely zero interest in it anyway.

Cost is the biggest downside imo, but the pros are that it's unbelievably well-run, there are virtually no queues for the lifts (depending on when you go), the whole resort is pretty much ski in/ski out and it seems to attract a uniformly polite type of skier.

Oh, and it's a nice short flight too - an hour and 45 minutes from Dublin to Oslo.

Will definitely look it up sometime. Surprised they don't do the apres, I thought they were serious drinkers, like the only ones in Europe worse than us.

In Aosta valley at the moment, ice cold and **** loads of snow....

There's one bar (Laaven) that does (tame, by Alpine standards) aprés and is also the only nightclub in town.

The other good thing about Norway is that you can get duty free both in Dublin and when you land. If you pick up a few boxes of wine/bottles of spirits and are happy to do most of your drinking in your apartment, it makes the trip significantly cheaper than going out every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Heading to Val Tournenche in the Aosta valley, mid February for the first time. Has anyone some tips/ advice on do’s and don’ts. Have always gone to Austria before so not sure what to expect?

• Advertisement

Can't comment on that particular resort, but I've yet to find anywhere else that matches the Austrian apres, everywhere else is very tame by comparison.

Advertisement