Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Cork area- 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

The best option there is Macroom. Muskerry isn’t worth 1,500, LV being just shy of 3K for a new member isn’t worth it. Blarney similar to Macroom so all depends on your commute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Cobh are doing membership at €77 a month. I'm not mad about the course but would say it's good value for anyone living within a decent proximity to it

Speaking of macroom earlier anyone know a bit more about club at moment.

Is it busy/difficult to get on timesheet,etc?

I presume new bypass might make it easier get up the town to course and save a few mins travel time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's how most people do the membership there, I'll likely rejoin in a few years when the child can look after themselves. Have some new equipment so would like to get a go at the place again, definitely think can get the handicap down there, it's a tough spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8 leesidegolfer

Taking money out of it would people rate muskerry or Lee Valley as a better course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Lee Valley hands down for me.

I'd probably agree. Haven't played either course in last couple years but I always like Lee Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Have played both over the last few years, and think Lee Valley is miles above Muskerry. Both have open competitions on a weekly basis if you wanted to get out and play them before deciding, provided you have a handicap. Not 100% sure when they start either.

Muskerry is a lot shorter from what I remember, probably 2018 since last played it.

Played lee valley in 2021 but weather was awful so wasn't a very enjoyable day.

Have they put in new practice facilities in LV in the past year?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Lee Valley put in an artificial chipping green, maybe in the last 18 months or so. It is beyond awful.

I would personally rate Muskerry as good as Lee Valley (probably slightly prefer it to be honest). It has a couple of biggish climbs which I know some people moan about, but the greens are always great, it has excellent par 3s, and the finishing 2 holes are excellent.

As previous guy said, they're both easy to get on so you can make your own mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Muskerry is a member owned course, Lee Valley is privately owned,.

I would also take that into account

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Well members owned clubs are meant to be run and operated by members for the benefit of all members (not always the case of course) which makes it easier to manage course improvements, infrastructure, time sheets etc.

Privately owned clubs are run as businesses by the owners with the members interests often secondary to that.

Having been a member of both types of club in the past I would definitely choose the former.

An artificial green only sounds like something that would work for putting

To be fair I've never seen the greens poor in muskerry, always top quality over the years.

No issues really unless your looking at prime time Saturday/Sunday morning then it’s a case of be ready when the sheet opens

Ya I like the course. Just the €1,500 entrance fee puts me off. But if I was certain I'd be playing there for next 10-15 years then it could be seen as a good investment. Just not sure

For those interested I also found out Blarney are doing 6 month and 3 month membership which could be good option for anyone looking to try out being a member and see if it's for them. € 250 for 3 month, €480 for 6 month

Monkstown have membership available

€5,000 entrance fee (can be split into two payments of €2,500 per year in years 1&2)

Annual sub- €1,467 (this can be paid via direct debit)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Williewell

I'm moving to Cork city in the next 12 months and this thread is very helpful. Is there any GC's you'd advise avoiding? I'd like to join somewhere with a half decent putting/chipping area. Thanks

Obviously the entrance fees are off putting, especially if you're not staying in Cork long term.

Monkstown have opened a new academy as far as I know.

Fota has great practice facilities but you'll pay a lot there

Not sure regards muskerrys practice facilities, didn't play there in few years.

Cobh and Blarney ok value money wise, but muskerry or Lee Valley might be worth the extra cost

Which part of city is probably important, makes travel quicker to certain courses

• Advertisement

Back to this old topic. I actually still haven't joined any club. Things got mad busy with work and golf wasn't going to fit in. Hopefully should be better placed to join somewhere in next few weeks.

Thinking now there might be a couple of clubs possibly offer a deal on joint for rest of '23 and 24 all in one.

If anyone hears of anything in the Cork area please post here, I'd appreciate it

Entrance fee in Lee Valley is now €2,000 but they're only taking in a few new members , there's a waiting list in place. Think that money is a bit more than what the course is worth.

It’s definitely a lot but the course is excellent and maintained/upgraded each year. Great bar/restaurant there too. Practice facilities aren’t hectic there but they have worked on a short game area recently

It's a lot I think but again depends a bit on circumstances, if you were living around Ballincollig area and knew you weren't ever moving obviously it's small money over the course of your golfing lifetime.

Just going back to this before start of 2024

I ended up joining Blarney on a 6 month membership. Happy enough really , for €480 it was decent value. Few weekends closed recently due to weather but can hardly blame anyone for that, most clubs were closed.

At times in late summer felt course could have been maintained better. But I know there's obviously different issues behind the scenes there. They have hired a new head greenkeeper from Douglas, that should be good going forward.

No major issues getting on timesheet and plenty competitions there. So can't complain I just don't find it wow or something

Would definitely consider a move for new year if anything suitable was out there.

Anyone know of clubs open for members, fees, etc?

I think they are all open for membership tbh. It’s really a personal thing. I’m not a fan of Blarney but I’m not mad about Muskerry either. Lee Valley the best course around but more expensive. Bandon another fine course and Macroom similar to Blarney really.

Depends on your handicap, senior cup golfers get excepted

Ya you'd hear that in a lot of clubs. Doubtful they pay the entrance fee either

• Advertisement

Blarney up slightly for 2024 to €1,000

Advertisement