Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOI vs GAA intercounty as a spectator experience

Options
  • 22-09-2022 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭

For those that regularly attend both (maybe a small Venn diagram area), what do they rate as a better all round experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

GAA intercounty matches tend to have less of a thuggish following so I prefer attending that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

They are quite different, at least as a Dub. Going to LOI games since late 80s. Love the ritual. Pre match pints, the game and post match analysis with the lads. Especially great craic for the away games like Cork, Sligo or Derry.

The Dubs feels closer to a Premier league game. Huge stadium, big crowds etc.

Both enjoyable experiences. Personally prefer the LOI experience as it feels like a smaller close knit community of die hards.

One observation from a LOI non attender but recent convert- there’s more limbs and moments of “lose yourself” joy in LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I'd say that's a feature of football. Goals are usually relatively rare events over 90 minutes. GAA, basketball etc there is a constant stream of scores harder to get overly excited, except at critical moments at end of the game.

• Advertisement

That’s a factor alright but how many moments for Dublin or Kerry over the past decade had all out limbs? A couple but Dublin were winning all irelands with a muted response sometimes. As for my own county Kildare; it’s largely a entirely muted, often miserable experience for entire seasons sometimes consecutive seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Attend both from time to time. Would think LOI is a better spectator atmosphere becasue bar the Dubs nobody sings at GAA matches and sometimes the atmosphere can be dead enough during periods of the game relative to the amount of people there. Some of the songs LOI fans sing can be funny as fcuk and there is a general sense of diivellment about winding up the other set of supporters. You just dont get that at GAA matches.

I do go to a hurling semi final most years though and provided the scoreline is close the atmosphere at those matches can be electric, people are on the edge of their seats as the game ebbs and flows. The only problem with hurling though lately is that the players have gotten so good now it is just ridiculously easy for them to score from huge distances without even leaving their own half. Id admire the skill but its become like a ping pong type points shootout from 70 yards out, the GAA need to address this to encourage more exciting plays.

Post edited by Muahahaha on

There’s an element amongst some LoI supporters that put a lot of casual supporters off attending. The sort of thing that happened down in Ringsend before the cup final for example.

The thuggery in GAA tends to be confined to the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, ADP, the violence that occurred before that cup final was by Bohs fans. I wouldn’t expect any crowd “trouble” before, or after, a game involving any LoI clubs bar Shamrock Rovers or Bohemians.

Both of those sides seem to “ape” the hooligan type of behaviour that went on in England during the 80’s. They even sing their songs with an English accent.

I can’t remember the last time I heard of any violence occurring at a game involving any other club. The fact that both Rovers and Bohs have had their supporter numbers bolstered by a large number of ex-Manchester United “fans” has only increased the level of English-style support.

This could well change should United stop being so bad. Those ex-United fans could, just as easily, go back to supporting Man U from the pub should that club’s fortunes change dramatically. Unfortunate, this would mean fewer numbers attending LoI games. Fingers crossed these fickle, “fair weather”, ex-United fans stick with their new clubs but I’d have my doubts.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I've gone to both LOI and GAA games but I have to say on a whole the GAA is a lot better experience.

That's not a slight against the LOI by the way. I've gone to Old Trafford, La Liga, and been to the Aviva to support Ireland many times but never enjoyed them as much as a good gaelic football match. I'm saying this as a massive soccer fan but the sport does loose its gloss a small bit when you see it live and there aren't a million different angles to watch a slow motion replay and it's stripped back.

I've been to many GAA games and come out feeling like it was an unbelievable experience that couldn't possibly translate to watching it on TV whereas I have yet to feel like that attending a soccer game unfortunately.

There are also a lot more women and children at GAA games which I think makes for a more family atmosphere but that's not to say there aren't some undesirables who attend those games too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am a GAA head really but the bit that was really a culture shock for me at my visit to Tallaght as neutral for a LOI match (out of curiosity nice day as well) - it was the segregation!

When I was asked was I home or away fan? I nearly laughed out loud. My first thought was 'I am Irish sure!' But as a Dub I went to the ‘home’ support. It did seem laughable to me that a couple of hundred Dundalk fans were herded in the ‘away’ end.

It was really foreign to me in that sense. At a GAA match regardless of level, a major part of the craic of it is fans mixing.

Good natured comments flying back and forth from both sides. Many shake hands at the end of the game, after sharing sweets and stuff.

At away games in the GAA the locals quiz you about what route you took there, any up and coming players on your team etc. You as the away fan get an insight into their team ‘Jayus who is that young fella?’ you ask.

All that is lost because of segregation at LOI games. And I believe it creates a ‘them and us’ culture among fans. Which might explain the thuggish behaviour of fans, some experienced in the LOI. That segregation culture is surely a part of it?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Are you sure you’re not designating something as English football culture that’s just football culture?

i guess it’s a question if Italy, France, Brazil etc all take their lead from supporter culture in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have never attended Irish soccer and never intend to. I probably won't ever attend another soccer game in my life unless I just happened to want to visit the stadium.

GAA has its bad points too, there is a lot of gate keeping involved when there is a game that has a shortage of tickets. The club GAA people feel bitter towards casual county fans.

Another thing with big GAA games is the buses of rowdy youths that come. For example I was insulted for no reason outside Croke Park this year by a group of loud mouthed girls. I was just walking minding my own business and this girl shouted "he is sexy isn't he" and all the girls laughed. I am a fat unattractive man so obviously they were trying to degrade me. It is funny that the GAA slogan is "where we all belong", maybe they should change that to "where we all belong, unless you don't look like the typical GAA fan".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'm the opposite, I much prefer when the crowds are separated. It creates a much louder atmosphere as its far easy for chants to start and for tifos to be created and you don't have to deal with any potential obnoxious or patronising fans of the opposition inside the ground.

As to the question at hand LOI atmosphere definitely nearly all the time. Much louder, much wittier, more passionate and if the fan groups do displays more colourful. The FAI Cup final is pound for pound the best atmosphere and best value event in Irish sport yearly bar the occasional Ireland International. I've been to a few All-Ireland Finals and apart from the parade before the match it was fairly quiet during the match. One thing with regards to GAA atmosphere they're usually fairly quiet for the first half but they do pick up for the second half if the match is anyway competitive.

I will add one caveat to the above in that it does depend slightly on what teams you go to. There won't be much of an atmosphere at a division 4 GAA match or a UCD or a Athlone Town LOI match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You should have said something worse back to those GAA fans.

I played Gaelic football for 20 years, never played soccer apart from 5 a side, but much prefer LOI now, have been to a good few LOI games this year, I have only been to 1 GAA game this year and wont be at any more.

The backwards passing and 30 men in 1 half has ruined Gaelic football for me, most games are boring to watch in my opinion.

Some serious thugs playing Club GAA in my experience, they use it as an excuse to assault people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The GAA is a far more enjoyable experience. The matches are exciting and watchable for starters.

You are far more likely to catch me at the RDS on a Friday night watching Leinster. It is nice to catch up with my old school cronies and share a few pints and take the piss out of our wives. For a few hours anyway. It works quite well as it gives you a nice 3-4 hours of fun as the weekend is beginning and then you can have the rest of it to spend with your family.

I prefer Rugby all around, although I might add that Leinster have become very predictable as they are different class and are constantly stuffing the opposition. I often will not attend a match and stick to the pub if there are any fancy birds knocking around and I want to act like Jack Nicholson instead. It is astonishing how the hottest talent manages to gravitate towards the rugby crowd, which does not say much about other codes. Plenty of country girls tend to find us much more attractive, why is that?

I remember meeting a Bean Garda in Crowes a couple of years ago, early 30's and gamey as. She was dressed to kill in blue jeans and tight tank top which led little to the imagination. Her nice subtle perfume was enticing and after she basically raped me in the back of her Mitsubishi Pajero she dropped me at like my local and announced "see you next time...,,not" and burst out laughing. Cheeky cow. She must have copped that I was married.

I saw her again swilling pints in Quinns wearing a perm and a Wexford jersey. Bitch barely acknowledged me. She was wearing the same jeans but had ditched the G n T's for bottles of Budweiser, what a Chameleon.

One of my abiding memories of the times I used to bother with intercounty GAA was the amount of casuals in Croke park whose knowledge of the game wouldn’t fill the back of a stamp. It wasn’t really a problem outside croke park but an awful lot of those in Croker hadn’t a breeze, just there for the day out.

the more general problem with intercounty is that Dublin and Kerry are far better than everyone else and that isn’t going to change, 80% of counties are making up the numbers, just cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The segregation thing in football definitely isnt English culture exported, it is needed abroad in most instances. Years back was at a Rio derby in the Maracana between Flamengo and Botofago which are both suburbs of Rio just a few kilometers apart. But they hate each other with a vengence to the point violence is a very real possibility and at a minimum there'll be a ruck with fans and the police at half time while they wait for the second half. At the match all the Flamego fans I went in with were all in plain clothes, then when they get into their section in the stadium their football jerseys come out of their pockets and they throw them on- they cant risk wearing a jersey on the way to the game in case something kicks off. A lot of Rio football rivalries are underpinned by rival favelas and their drugs gangs fighting between them for territory so its its on a whole different level to anything you would ever see in England.

Have seen similar situations between Boca and River Plate in Buenos Aires and at AC Milan was on the Curva Nord terrace and it is full of outright neo nazis complete with SS tattoos who would start a fight with opposing fans just for looking at them.

England is tame in comparison.I go to a Spurs game most seasons as a mate has season tickets there and afterwards in his local it is 50-50 Spurs Arsenal supporters there most of who work together, live near each other and some are related, etc. Never any problems. Remember being on a bus from Anfield when 10 Arsenall supporters were on it, thought there might be trouble but there was nothing but slagging between them and the scousers, all good natured stuff and handshakes all around.

I kind of like the segregation thing in football, its what gives the atmosphere its edge. But obviously some groups take that way too far and into violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Love going to Bohs games, the bars beforehand and great atmosphere in the stand. I know a couple of people who've been going for decades and I always see them there and have a beer. There's a nice community feel about Bohemians and my folks are from the Phibsboro area so always felt connected. GAA never did it for me, and haven't been to a game since I was a child in the 80s.

In London now I've been see Fulham more than any other team due to ticket availability, not this season though. Been to Millwall which was great, and a few other clubs around. My closest club now is West Ham over in Stratford but never had any interest in that team. Would like to go to Spurs and Chelsea before I move home next year. I will miss having all this football on my doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The LOI can be v enjoyable to watch, but some of it can be very boring with so few scores. You tend to have a few more yahoos following soccer too, loud and senseless types, although that is very much a minority.

GAA championship hurling would be light years ahead of the LOI, but early in the year the gap would be smaller.

So for me the GAA is a good bit better, especially hurling, but LOI definitely worth going to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

GAA will always be better than LOI. Intercounty is the best you can get in GAA terms, LOI is barely even pro level in football terms. Having said that I'd still rather be around LOI fans than GAA fans given the GAA fans general backward, insular and inbred nature and their strangle hold on rural life even down to getting to choose who can have certain jobs in even the smallest companies at the lowest level. Speaking from experience.

These kind of hillbillies make me cringe at the GAA to be honest. "Theres the team, go on Tipp" ffs and too tight to buy food in Dublin, have to bring sandwiches, they would probably prefer to spend their money on cattle feed than treat themselves to a nice meal in Dublin. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tbh the GAA is a much better spectacle on the whole. Far more action in an average game compared to a soccer match. I watch both, but only attend gaa games as I really dislike the soccer fan vibe and don't support any team (bar ireland) as I've no connection to any of them.

Tbh club football is a lot more entertaining, it's far more unpredictable and games are more competitive, a lot more chance of an upset etc. Intercounty has become too predictable for the most part - rare to see an upset at intercounty level these days

The attraction of LOI seems to be the singing at other fans? If the game on the pitch isn't interesting enough and you are depending on funny chants for entertainment then it's not the sport for me. Point taken about the easy scores in hurling, I'd still take it over the 2 or 3 scores you would be lucky to see in a soccer match though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You are aware that is literally an ad for ham sandwiches? Did you expect Denny to make an ad showing people going to spar for a 5e sandwich?

They had to find people who eat sandwiches for the advert though. And that was as good as they could make them red necks look lol. Also I said they wouldn't get something nice to eat, not some crap they could buy in Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they're lost when they get to Dublin for a match, they would struggle trying to order food with all the quare foreign ingredients we have in Dublin. Ham and butter and white bread made at home is about all they can handle.

The LOI seems to be going somewhere once they get stadiums improved (which is easier said to done)

intercounty football is just going nowhere as it’s been established Kerry and Dublin are far better than everyone else (established for more than half a century), so they just twiddle around with the rules and moan about too much hand passing while ignoring the real problem…

Which is..

The entire sport has already been won by Kerry and Dublin and there is no prospect of that changing. Fair play to them but yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You missed your chance. The young wans from the country love fat unattractive men. You could have banged the whole busload of them if you had been on the ball. I think your issues in that area and many posts on the topic stem from not realising all these missed opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Gaelic football amd LOI association football are cut from the same cloth.

Nothing compares to hurling.

Advertisement