Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an Apple Watch Ultra?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I ordered an Ultra 2 last night from amazon.de.

I wanted the Orange Ocean band, but shipping estimate on Apple were pushed out to mid October.

I had no intention of upgrading, but i got offered 600 for my current watch, so it's only costing me a little bit to upgrade with the price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I really expected Vodafone would have announced support for Apple Watch by now.

@eeloe how come you ordered on Amazon and not from Apple? Did you get offered €600 from adverts or was that trading in somewhere?

Amazon has a ship date of 22nd Sep. Apple was mid to late october for the orange band, that's why i went with amazon! :)

I got offered 600 by a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Me too although I expect it is coming. Maybe, they reached an exclusivity agreement with Samsung for a period of time? I just wish they’d implement it now! It’s holding me off buying the Ultra 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Does the Ultra in Europe (and Ireland) still have the esim support, so that if or when Vodafone roll it out, it will "just work"?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I’m hoping so as I am going to buy the Ultra 2.

Looking at my order though Apple, it does say cellular... Mind you, after some messing with Vodafone, I just moved to Three... They don't have e-sim support, or the one-number thing that Vodafone have, but less messing... Its not a game changer for me to have my number on the phone, and I think you can get data only e-sims for the watch anyway, so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Currently trying to decide where to pick up the Ultra 2 but having just installed Watch oS10 on my old Series 6, this still annoys the hell out of me😡

Come on 3 or Vodafone, step up and support the cellular Apple Watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

How are you all finding the Ultra 2? So far I am loving the bigger size.

Does anyone feel the crown moves more easily? Also as I am a printer. I can see the colours don't align. By this I mean the colours don't sit directly on top of each other and I can see the red bleeding out. I see this a lot in shop demo models.

So I am thinking of sending mine back. Only 1 day left to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭timefora_J

We'll we waited this long I suppose....

Eir are the last ones to make a move enabling eSIM maybe they'll surprise us all before the years out

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi, I know it’s been mentioned above but can you confirm it shipped as cellular compatible from the Irish Apple Store? (For whenever the networks make it available)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

All Apple Watch Ultra are cellular, even if cellular doesn’t work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I picked up an Ultra 1 the other week and didn't even realise Ireland's support for eSim wasn't there yet.

The whole point of me getting the watch was so that I could leave the phone at home. I spotted this thread just before I bought it, but went ahead with anyway.

I know the likes of Lyca have eSim now. I was about to switch over to them from 48 but seemingly (from an eSim thread on here) they only sometimes have it showing on the site.

Wondering is anyone using Lyca eSim with their Ultra? (or any eSim for that matter).

I see with Three eSim isn't available for wearables yet, but is that the case with others? Vodafone is still Samsung only right?

Are there any options? or are we left waiting. I don't want to switch over to Lyca is there's no point (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I went about buying an Ultra 2 yesterday but ended up chatting the sales guy in Select and he swayed me to the Series 9. A little smaller and a few less bells but overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Have a Spine case on it and it makes it almost the size of the Ultra 2 with less weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi all, got an ultra 2 recently as a sports / holiday watch and got the olive alpine loop.

I don’t love it as a strap , taking it off is a faff, anyone got any recommendations for a good trail loop copy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Original Ultra now available as a refurb on the Apple website.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Seeing as the Apple watch cellular works in the Uk. Would it be possible to get a uk eSim and have it working in ireland (Roaming obviously). Wouldn't bother me to have a UK number on my watch at last you could make a call or receive a call from family etc who would have the number.

It looks like its linked with the SIM in your phone... mine does not give me the option of adding an esim to it, it tells me Three Ireland does not support it, even though Three do seem to have esims now... guessing its linked somewhere in the backend...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The SIM in your phone and in your watch have to be from the same network.

I believe that while technically your watch has a separate phone number, the networks do some syncing on their side so that outgoing / incoming calls from the watch use the same number as the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Looking for recommendation on best titanium watch strap for the ultra 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I just picked up the AWU2 this morning. It will be used primarily as a running watch. Going from Garmin / Coros I wanted something to work flawlessly with my iPhone and when going through many reviews it seemed to be on par with top running watches so said I would give it a go.

Annoyances:

• Assistive Touch doesn't work whatsoever. No matter how many times I tap, clench my fist, or click my fingers as per instructions nothing happens.
    • Constantly locks itself despite being connected to the phone. The strap is completely tight, almost to the point that it's uncomfortable, just to ensure it's reading my wrist. I had to turn off the passcode.
    • I downloaded the WorkOutDoors app after some online recommendations - it's not saving runs after clicking end. I have gone through the settings for I don't know how long, auto-upload to Strava turned on, etc. I got out on a very short walk when testing at lunchtime, worked fine, tested with a very short run, clicked end, and it's not saved in my recent activities.

I'm very disappointed so far. Hopefully, someone will have some answers to the above, as it's a beautiful watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Confirmed fault with the sensor on the watch. Returned no quibbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ended up selling my AWU2 as i just wasnt getting the use from it, i have nice regular watches that i wear day to day so the ultra was just for running and games of padel! i realised a SE2 would cover my needs just as well.

Anyway im wondering does anyone have an 44/45mm Apple sports bands that they would sell? Dark colours ideally! got white with the watch but its not really me.

Advertisement