Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland from UK with my bike, how do I register it?

Options
  • 20-09-2022 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I recently moved back to Ireland from the UK and I have brought my bike with me. As far as I am aware as I have owned it for more than 6 months, I am exempt form paying VRT.

What is the process for getting it registered here? I can't seem to find any solid info for bikes online, everything is to do with cars.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The process for importing a vehicle of any kind under a Change of Residence is the same, so use the same process.

You need to apply to Revenue, include the details of the vehicle(s) you're bringing in, with supporting proof of UK residency (wage slips, tax receipts, living expenses etc).

From memory then you present it for inspection and they'll issue your reg no and off you go. Did it myself many years ago.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You book an inspection at a vrt office which is generally a nct centre. Best of reading exactly what you need here

https://www.ncts.ie/1209/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Follow up question guys.

I have the appointment booked in at the NCT centre for the VRT, problem is, I cancelled my UK insurance policy shortly after arriving back in Ireland. If I had known I had to bring it somewhere to get this done I wouldn't have.

Is there any Irish company that will insure me for the day? Given that I currently have a UK licence (in the process of getting it exchanged) and the bike is on UK plates.

Maybe it's possible for a UK company to do it that will cover me in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe rent a van for the day and just bring it to the centre in the back and roll it out for inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Yeah that is probably what I'll end up doing, just need to figure out how to get it in and out of the van safely! Never done it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Know anybody with a ramp or get someone to tag along to help you.

Advertisement