Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBNB weird hosts

Options
  • 19-09-2022 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

Was looking at a place to go over the summer and nearly everything was booked up. One of the places still available was owned by eco-friendly greenies from Denmark. Which was grand, except they didn't want any guests who arrived to Ireland by plane because that is so terribly polluting. If they found out you arrived by the offending mode of transport at any time in the not too distant past you'd be turfed out.

An other time I stayed with someone who had booked a cottage for a weekend. I did not intend to stay but had a few drinks and went to sleep on the couch. Anyway the owner got wind of this and went mad altogether. Started sending torrents of abuse by text to the poor girlie who booked it, saying the house was only meant for 2 people and would not let it go even though nothing was damaged or dirty after we leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Wasn't there some freak in Ireland who had a hidden camera set up in the bedroom of his air b&b guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Was another guest booked. They were probably freaked some fella was sleeping on the couch.

If not why didn't ya sleep in the bed 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 24,814 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Years since I looked at the Airbnb site, some of the prices are outrageous.

Yes you’ve more space but on a holiday….why do people want to spend time cooking, cleaning, food shopping etc ? when you can spend a bit more or close to the same price in a hotel and get your food and drinks served to you, room cleaned and bed made… never got it..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

I think its just for big familys or groups mainly otherwise yeah your getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The last couple of air bnbs I stayed in I never even met the host. They have a box outside the house you put in a code and get the key that way. Then just leave it back in the box when your leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That is common enough, host would laying on the beach somewhere in Carribean and their only contribution is to send the occasional nasty email to the Polish girlie tasked with cleaning after the guest for a pittance each time they receive a less-than-stellar AirBNB review.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Stranger Things

Got an AirBnb in Belfast for two nights. 350 quid or something around that. There was 3 of us. After a nightout we brought a person back for a safe place to sleep and they left that morning. Got a text on the app later that day saying how was our sleep? I went great, lovely house. He goes so why was there a 4th person that stayed the night. I’m not sure how he knew there was a 4th as the individual came back at 4:30am and left at 7am for a bus back home (yes not much sleep for the fella). I explained the situation and apologised. He rang me ranting and roaring. Threatened to call the police and said he was driving over to the place to empty our stuff out. UNLESS we paid the extra 100 euro for the guest. And another 100 for ‘lying to him’. We had 5 minutes to pay it also. Regretfully we paid it as it was 2020 and we as a group had not seen each other in months and it was 8pm at night and we definitely had nowhere else to go. Haven’t used the app since. The d**k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Usually the reviews and profile of the host give a good insight into what you are dealing with. Best to stay away from properties with little or no reviews. Had an issue with a place that was dirty when we arrived (builders had been in) but agreed with the host that she would refund the first night's accommodation which she did. Stayed two nights in a cold place with many fire safety issues where my young son accidently knocked and broke a flat screen tv which was placed precariously upon an ikea 2 step ladder. The host requested €240 via AirBnB to replace the TV. I went back with a strongly worded response and photos showing his negligence and also highlighting the coldness and lack of fire safety in the apartment. Air BNB adjudicated on the dispute and found in my favour. in hindsight I should probably had demanded a refund.

On the other hand I've had some great hosts that we have booked directly with if returning to the property again.

We rented an Airbnb in the Holylands in Belfast for the night. Basic enough sort of place but grand for the night. Left a good review, but the owner replied with a stinker of a review for me saying we hadn’t dressed the bed before we left, and that this went against the ethos of Airbnb being a “community”?!

Airbnb refused to take down the review so I closed my account (which takes 90 days) and reported the Airbnb host to Belfast City Council for breaches of fire safety rules.

Places are almost as expensive as hotels these days anyways, and in a hotel you can get room service, don’t have to deal with ikea furniture, and have a breakfast made for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Didn't dress the bed?

But they were surely going changing the bed covers before the next guest..........

• Advertisement

I know and that was what I said to Airbnb support. There was also a cleaning fee included, and the only thing we did was use the bed and use the bathroom the next morning.

It was so bizarre. I was a very regular user of Airbnb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Once rented a single room in a house where all the other rooms were divided into separate AirBnBs. It was very strange to say the least. Go to bed one evening with Italians as housemates, come back from work and now you've got Filipinos.

Landlord was an absolute scumbag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you can show me an example of where a family can stay in a hotel with all meals included for the same price as an AirBnB, I'll gladly book it.

Also, any AirBnB we've booked recently has been on a "whole house" basis, so they don't really care how many people you have staying provided you're not trashing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

he must have had cameras somewhere and saw yer man leaving etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How about a B&B when they owner rang in the middle of the day wanting to know why I didn't eat my Tomatoes.

She was very put out and upset by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I heartily disagree!

I'm heading to Bath in the morning 1st night is me, wife and daughter

then she goes to Uni halls so 2nd night is me and my wife

next night 2 sons and one of their girlfriends arrive for 2 nights,

there is no hotel that offer that flexibility for the same money.

and we like to cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Stranger Things

We think he had one. Couldn’t find it though was weird. Must have been fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

And also, many people, myself included don't like to feel confined to a hotel room.

It's lovely to have a living room to relax I'm instead of watching TV on your bed and have a microwave or toaster for a midnight snack.

I've had mostly positive experiences with Air b and b. There was one place in Kerry that was very 'country'.

The decor hadn't been touched since the 70s: peach bathroom suite, sacred heart picture, frayed carpets and sofa. But the most comical part was a large kitchen window that couldn't close properly, the latch was broken and was constantly ajar.

So you went to bed every night knowing someone could climb in without any effort.

No-one bothered, we only saw cows down there 😆

To thine own self be true

Each to their own haha.

after a day sightseeing, exploring, metro hopping id just not be anywhere near the mood to start cooking. Something so relaxing about walking into a restaurant on holiday every night, getting waited on, food served and you just get up and walk away after paying, no cleanup…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you're right, I don't know why people don't just eat at restaurants every night, why would you bother cooking? And what's the deal with people driving their own cars? They're just putting their chauffeurs out of work!

• Advertisement

Have only ever rented all the property with Air BNB as any time we have used them it's been for family travel. With 2 young kinds it's a lot easier than been stuck in a hotel room in my view. We wouldn't cook every night but again it's handy to be able to grab a sandwich or snack when the kids are hungry than to be at the mercy of hotel dining times. Most of the properties we have rented have been within walking distance of pubs/restaurants or towns. We have stayed on farms a couple of times and our two lads were delighted to see cows getting milked and having spins on tractors etc. The whole thing is a lot more personal than checking into a busy hotel in Dublin or Killarney where you might get a grunt from an over worked or rude receptionist. Each too their own. I've also stayed in places where we never spoke or met the owner but in most cases things were as advertised and the reviews bore this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Went for a short trip with a fine looking young lady, in a lovely, secluded spot during one of the restrictions breaks. "Dogs welcome". Turned up, two dogs came over and one of them tried to bite my dog. Stuck my hand in the way and the dog nipped my fingernail instead. I guess its more negligent than weird. I didn't complain, well, other than directly to the owners but that could cost them dearly if someone isn't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would you not be the 'negligent' one ??

Bit silly to put your hand between 2 dogs !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's regular now that in shared apartment blocks etc the landlord ask you not to let neighbours know the place is an air b n b due to planning breaches so you are asked to sneak in and out.

Some landlords are crazy, some tenants are crazy such as stag parties. I also don't like the vetting system where they can refuse to rent to you.

Worst I had was in South America where turned up to no one home. Then rang the contact number that did not work. Eventually got into apartment block and someone managed to contact the owner. There was a typo in the mobile number on the website and owner had forgotten to show up on time. It worked out in the end but the bath was dirty so we could not use it.

In terms of eco craziness I heard of one tenant that would not stay anywhere with WiFi due to concerns....Lots of stories about cameras inside and outside bedrooms, they can declare such, but it's freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We all make the hotel with kids mistake at some point. But you never make it twice.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The negligence was in relation to the dogs biting other dogs when the place allowed dogs. I knew the other dog was going to bite and chose to take it rather than let my dog be bitten, that's not what I complained to them about. I've been nipped many times, not a problem. My dog, however, different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did the best of both worlds this year, stayed in an apartment on the grounds of a hotel.

Loads of space, living room, kids got their own bedroom, 2 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen (only thing we used was the oven to heat up plates when we got a takeaway) and most importantly a fridge for your milk, soft drinks, beer and wine!

Plus access to all the hotel facilities, gym, pool etc. Ate in the hotel one night (not incl.) and went to local restaurants the others, same as we'd do if staying in the hotel itself.

Could get up whenever we wanted and not under pressure to get dressed and down to the breakfast room for the big fry up that you've already paid for. Had the option of going over for the fry up anyway but at €14 a head we declined, and didn't miss it.

Cost was almost identical to staying B&B in the hotel, without the four of us jammed into one poky room.

Life ain't always empty.

Cost I’d imagine, severe difference to on holiday and then in turn, ‘every night’… 😉

• Advertisement

We would do the odd night in hotels with kids. At easter we were away for 4 nights the first and last nights were spent in hotels while the middle 2 was an AirBnB. Conversely the second night in the AirBnB was the most problematic with the youngest. Having 2 adults and 2 kids in a hotel room for longer than a night or two at a time isn't pleasurable in my view.

Advertisement