Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB new smart meter

Options
  • 19-09-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Had a letter from ESB that they'll be calling to replace my old meter with a smart one. Just looking for the opinion / experience of those who have a smart one for some time - should I get one or reject and stick with the old one. Electric useage is average, oil fired heating, gas cooking + solid fuel range, washing machine, dryer, immersion in summer only - very little night time use just TV, fridge/freezer, light etc. ESB bills were reasonable until the obvious recent increases of course which has very little to do with the actual meter.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

REJECT REJECT REJECT

Smart meters do not benefit the consumer, they allow punitive pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,381 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you get one they will have the ability to bill you based on time of day usage, they could charge those with meters 5 times the price to use electricity between core times of 5-7pm.

Never get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Im scheduled to get one but it in no hurry

Whats the crack though with the new tarriffs and how long before they start punishing those who don't get smart meter fitted ?

In theory assuming the meters are reading accurately there should be no change with smart metering if u stay on existing plan and pay the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Can you stay on the existing plan? When you want to change supplier can you stay on a day/night plan or will you have to move to a smart plan of day/night/peak? I have not seen any smart plans with day/night rates only.

Doubt there's any smart plans with just day/nite

Smart will have a minimum of 3 rates with the peak rate(5-7) I presume ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have had a smart meter for the past few years but only recently opted to move to a smart tarrif.

The rates I was on, prior to the last increase. are:

Day (8am to 11pm) = 25.44c inc Vat.

Night (11pm to 8am) = 18.79c

Peak (5pm to 7pm) = 30.99c

For me it made sense to move to the smart tarrif.

How many providers are doing the free day with smart plans ?

I saw theres usage limits on the free day too

I presume that prior to getting the smart meter you were on a 24 hour rate. If that is the case I can see the benefits of changing to a smart plan. I currently have a day/night meter (Nightsaver) & as far as I can see I would be paying more if I had a smart meter & a day/night/peak type smart plan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Typically at the moment the 5-7pm price is about 10% higher than the standard day rate. Your 500% higher rate seems excessive.

I have a smart meter and am still on the 24h tarriff with no problems. Smart tarriffs will only become mandatory if and when theyve fully rolled them out, in which case expect more competition between providers as this will be the normal tarriff.

Looking at the SSE smart plan standard unit rates the price differences are:

Peak period rate is dearer than day rate by 26.35%

Peak period rate is dearer than night rate by 94.77%

Day period rate is dearer than night rate by 54.15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Feck, why is that? I have recently gotten a smart meter installed, but i'm not on a smart plan at the moment and won't be going onto one if that is the outcome. I'd rather just note my consumption with a pen and paper.

Beverly Hills, California

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

BG seem to be doing a plan at the moment offering new customers free electricity for the day on saturdays. subject to fair usage limits, i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

"Free" electricity is subsidized by through the nose rates on other days.

For contrast, my non smart rates are 28c day and 7c night (9 hours a night 7 days a week)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pauly58

I had an electrician in to fit a changeover switch for the coming blackouts & I asked him about smart meters, he said don't get one, they want them fitted to be able to charge a higher rate for the peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭POBox19

I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation, but my standing charge, from EI, in January was 31.26c/day before the 'smart meter' was installed. It is now 68.38c/day plus VAT! That is before the cost per kw went through the roof.

Current EI standing charges (incl VAT) are:

24 HR Meter & Smart Meter

Urban €302.92 pa, 83c per day

Rural €380.46 pa, 104c per day

Nightsaver (Day/Night) Meter

Urban €396.89 pa, 109c per day

Rural €483.71 pa, 133c per day

The above standing charges are not changing with the EI unit price increases effective 1st Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi, (I'm the OP)

As someone who knows very little about different smart meters, is it possible to have a smart meter fitted and have the option to stay on 24 hour system as per the old meter I have at present. I assume the standing charges, tariffs etc. will not change. I'm with Electic Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I'm assuming so. I've just locked into a 12 month contract on a non-smart 24 hour tariff but i'll let you know for sure in 30 days. The tech said it takes that amount of time for the provider to be informed of the change.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I have a smart meter and am on 24hr tariff - i had a look at the smart meter plans but to be honest there was too many and i was a bit lost with it!

I WFH half the week and in the office half the week so i don't THINK it's worth changing from the 24hr plan....

I vaguely remember getting the letter about them changing over the meter but then thought no more of it - then i got a knock on the door about a year ago and the technician was in the middle of changing it over and knocked to say he had to knock the power off!! I was like, hang on a second there pal, at least let me save my work before you do anything more!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

I am thinking of rejecting and sticking with the old meter because my ESB meter was installed in 2008 and that's fairly modern enough to me. 😀

• Advertisement

I'll be rejecting it. Our old black mechanical meter was changed about 2 years ago for an electronic day/night meter. It was changed because the timer clock was faulty.

Regarding the smart meter, I have seen some posts stating that once you opt for a smart plan you can't revert to a non smart plan, a day/night plan in my case. I don't want to lose my day/night plan as it currently costs less than a smart plan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Where are you getting these figures from?

From their website as of 1st Oct, including VAT and without discount (as this varies from customer to customer), the standard 24 hour rate is 33.22 cent per unit. The peak smart meter is 36.99 cent, a difference of 11.34%. The smart daytime rate is 34.68, so the peak is 6.66% above that.

Similar patterns from other suppliers.

The point I was replying to was the suggestion that the peak rate could be 5x the standard rate, ergo dont get a smart meter. This is sensationalist as while it could theoretically be anything, including lower, in reality the peak rate is approx 10% above the standard rate so is hardly punitive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭NSAman

we were supposed to get one in July, time was organised, they never showed up.

still haven’t showed up…not that I’m bothered.

I think you are looking at the pre 1st Oct unit prices. The smart meter rates (incl VAT & without discount) from 1st Oct are:

Day 50.36

Night: 32.67

Peak: 63.63

Post edited by Gooser14 on

Advertisement