Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got solid wood Kitchen Worktops..?

• 18-09-2022 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭

Hi. We are looking at a new kitchen install and the wife is keen on a solid wood worktop... in oak.

This would also apply to the island unit.

Question.... any thoughts on the Pro and Con on same??

My major concern is the floor tiles then as I am keen on wood effect tiles. Amy worried that the kitchen would be too woody and just hard on the eyes!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Solid oak worktop is a major pain. Have one but never again. It is completely impractical for a kitchen. Even though it is oiled, I am constantly mopping up any splashes or drops of water in case it stains (has done around the sink). I don’t put anything down unless there’s a mat under it. It’s like having the old ‘good dining room table’ as your work surface, that’s how careful you have to be with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A tile should look like a tile not like wood.

In your situation, I'd go for a limited amount of wood worktop, perhaps on the island and then a clean simple floor tile that does not look like wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I've had a solid counter and I would never get one again. water stains, maintenance, mopping up spills - it's just not worth it imo. I'd get a cheap laminate counter before going solid again, but if the budget stretches to some sort of stone, quartz etc then I'd get that. It's what we did with our 2nd house and I think we'll get much longer out of the kitchen with the quartz counter than if we had gone with solid or laminate

Advertisement